From left to right: Agoglia, Luzzi, Jorgensen, McCloskey
|Also known as||Revelation Theory|
|Origin||North Andover, Massachusetts|
|Genres||Hard rock, alternative metal|
|Labels||EMI, Interscope, Killer Tracks, Another Century|
Paul Phillips (touring)
|Past members||Rikki Lixx|
Rev Theory (formerly known as Revelation Theory) is an American hard rock band formed in 2002 in North Andover, Massachusetts. The band has released three studio albums- Truth Is Currency (2005), Light It Up (2008) and Justice (2011)- as well as three EPs- Revelation Theory EP (2004), Acoustic Live from the Gibson Lounge (2009) and Take 'Em Out (2012). The song "Voices" is currently being used for World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE) wrestler Randy Orton. The song "Hell Yeah" was the opening theme song for the popular Spike show Blue Mountain State.
Early years and Truth Is Currency (2002–2006)
Revelation Theory's members Rich, Dave, and Julien first met in 1997 at Merrimack College in North Andover, MA, and all moved to Long Island, NY in 2002 hoping for a career in music. A year later, bassist Matty, who was a student at New York University joined the band, completing the quartet. They recorded a demo EP and began touring; in 2005 they were tapped for the Girls Gone Wild Rocks America tour. The group then signed with EMI subsidiary Element Records, and released the album Truth Is Currency in 2005.
Since 2005, the band has constantly been on tour with various other bands. In 2005, they were on tour with Sevendust and Hinder. A single from Truth Is Currency, "Slowburn", hit No. 27 on the US Mainstream Rock Tracks chart in 2005. In 2006, they toured extensively with Hinder, Buckcherry, and Evanescence, also touring with the latter band in Europe during the same year.
Light It Up and breakthrough (2007–2009)
In 2007, the band toured with Hinder once again, as well as with Papa Roach, and Buckcherry. Later in 2007, the band signed a major label deal with Interscope Records, and began writing their second album Light It Up as well as simplifying the band name to Rev Theory. They began to reach a wider fan base when World Wrestling Entertainment started using their music for pay-per-view events; first with "Light It Up", which was the official theme music for WrestleMania XXIV and secondly with "Hell Yeah" as the official theme for One Night Stand (2008), which took place in June. Former WWE wrestler Ashley Massaro appeared in the official "Hell Yeah" music video. Also in 2008, Rich Luzzi provided vocals for the song "Voices", the entrance theme of WWE wrestler Randy Orton. It is also the title track on Voices: WWE The Music, Vol. 9 album. Rev Theory's Hell Yeah was also featured in the video game Madden NFL 2009, and is now the goal song for the NHL's Winnipeg Jets.
Interscope, Geffen, A&M Records and Microsoft joined together to premiere the band's new music video exclusively on the Xbox LIVE Video Store. This made Rev Theory’s single "Hell Yeah" the first ever video premiere on Xbox LIVE.
Rev Theory spent the end of 2008 opening for Hinder and Trapt on the Jägermeister Music Tour. The single "Light It Up" was included as part of the "hard rock package" as downloadable content in Guitar Hero: World Tour for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and Wii versions of the game.
In January 2009, Rev Theory began touring with Theory of a Deadman and Ten Second Epic, and in May toured with Buckcherry, Avenged Sevenfold, and Papa Roach. Rev Theory then toured as part of Crüe Fest 2 before touring throughout the fall of 2009 with such bands as Seether and Breaking Benjamin. In October 2009, Rev Theory began touring with Lynyrd Skynyrd. Rev Theory's song "Hell Yeah" was played during the opening and closing credits of the Spike TV college show Blue Mountain State.
In February 2010, the band started writing new material for their third studio album with producer Terry Date. The title track and first single from the album, "Justice," was released on iTunes on October 25, 2010, and was released to radio stations on November 2, 2010. The band's song "Hangman" from the album Justice was used as a theme song for WWE SmackDown when the show made its debut on their new network home Syfy. "Justice" was also named the official theme song to the 2011 WWE pay-per-view event, Extreme Rules. Justice was released on February 15, 2011 and debuted on the Billboard top 200 charts at No. 75.
Rev Theory would then go on tour from April 13, 2011 to May 13, 2011 opening for Saliva, on Saliva's Hard Drive Spring Tour. Rev Theory later went on a four-date tour with Black Label Society on their Uranium Tour. Rev Theory also toured with Puddle of Mudd in 2011. Rev Theory was supposed to go on tour with Hatebreed, All That Remains, and Five Finger Death Punch from October 13 to December 14, but had to cancel due to a band member's injury.
On April 12, 2012, Rev Theory posted on their Facebook Page that Rikki will no longer be a part of their band, stating "We've parted ways on good terms and we wish him nothing but success in his creative endeavors. We love Rikki and he will always be our friend and our brother."
Take 'Em Out and New Album (2012–2014)
On November 1, 2012, Rev Theory announced that they were putting out a new EP that month titled Take 'Em Out, through Universal Music Group's specialty licensing label/publisher Killer Tracks. The EP, which featured four songs produced by Wax Ltd, was also released commercially online through digital retailers and streaming sites, including iTunes and Spotify. The song "Something New" gained considerable popularity online due in part to a high number of synchronization uses in media as well as a lyric video produced by The Uprising Creative. The "Something New" lyric video was premiered by Monster Energy and was later featured by VEVO.
The band spent most of 2013 promoting their Take 'Em Out EP and recording songs for a new studio album. On August 10, 2013 the band released a promotional single online called "Alpha king" along with another lyric video. The "Alpha King" lyric video premiered on Loudwire.com.
On February 20, 2014 the band premiered a song online from their forthcoming studio album called "Red Light Queen" on Loudwire.com, along with an announcement that Paul Phillips (formerly with Puddle of Mudd) would be joining the band as lead guitarist on future tour dates.
In August, 2014 Rev Theory signed with a new Century Media imprint called Another Century and also announced that their first single with the label, "Born 2 Destroy," will be released in late September, 2014.
- as Revelation Theory
- Truth Is Currency (2005)
- as Rev Theory
|2005||"Slowburn"||27||—||Truth Is Currency|
|2006||"Selfish and Cold"||—||—|
|2008||"Hell Yeah"||18||—||Light It Up|
|"Light It Up"||25||—|
|2009||"Far from Over"||15||36|
|2014||"Born 2 Destroy"||40||—||TBA|
|"—" denotes a release that did not chart.|
In other media
- 2008 – Wrestlemania 24 – "Light It Up," the song was used as the events theme song.
- 2008 – WWE One Night Stand – "Hell Yeah," the song was used as the events theme song.
- 2008–present – "Voices" is currently being used in WWE as Randy Orton's theme song.
- 2009 – Madden NFL 2009 – "Hell Yeah"
- 2009 – Guitar Hero: World Tour – "Light It Up" (DLC)
- 2010–2011 – "Hell Yeah" was used in the opening title sequence to Blue Mountain State
- 2011 – Extreme Rules – "Justice," the song was used as the events theme song.
- 2014 – Wrestlemania XXX – Performed Randy Orton's theme song "Voices" live.
- 2014 – "Something New" is used by ESPN Deportes (U.S) and ESPN Latinoamerica for a series of TV ads promoting the European football tournament, the UEFA Champions League.
- Revelation Theory to Rock Out in Columbia. The Maneater, February 7, 2006. Accessed September 30, 2007.
- Chart Positions, Allmusic.com
- Revelation Theory to Support Evanescence in Europe. Blabbermouth.net, October 14, 2006. Accessed September 30, 2007.
- "WWE: The Music Vol 9 CD". WWE. Retrieved 2009-01-14.
- Rev Theory Working On New Album
- Rikki Leaves Band. Rev Theory Facebook, April 12, 2012. Accessed April 12, 2012.
- "Something New lyric video premiering on Monster Energy website". MonsterEnergy.com.
- "Something New lyric video on VEVO". VEVO.com.
- ""Alpha King" lyric video on Loudwire". Loudwire.com.
- ""Red Light Queen" song premiere and Paul Phillips announcement on Loudwire". Loudwire.com.
- "Another Century launches and signs Rev Theory". THEPRP.com.
- "Another Century label signs Rev Theory". TeamRock.com.
- "Another Century press release announcing upcoming single "Born 2 Destroy"". AnotherCentury.com.
- ""Born 2 Destroy" lyric video premiere and release date announcement on Loudwire". Loudwire.com.
- FMQB: Radio Industry News, Music Industry Updates, Arbitron Ratings, Music News and more!