From left to right: Agoglia, Luzzi, Jorgensen, McCloskey
|Also known as||Revelation Theory|
|Origin||North Andover, Massachusetts|
|Genres||Hard rock, post-grunge, nu metal|
|Labels||EMI, Interscope, Killer Tracks, Another Century (Sony Music)|
Paul Phillips (touring)
|Past members||Rikki Lixx|
Rev Theory (formerly known as Revelation Theory) is an American rock band formed in 2002 in North Andover, Massachusetts. The band has released three studio albums: Truth Is Currency (2005), Light It Up (2008) and Justice (2011), as well as three EPs: Revelation Theory EP (2004), Acoustic Live from the Gibson Lounge (2009) and Take 'Em Out (2012). The song "Voices" is currently being used by World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE) wrestler Randy Orton. The song "Hell Yeah" was the opening theme song for the popular Spike show Blue Mountain State and the song "We Own The Night" was the main theme song for the WWE Network reality series Breaking Ground. The band's fourth studio album, The Revelation, is scheduled for release on September 9, 2016.
- 1 History
- 2 Band members
- 3 Discography
- 4 In other media
- 5 References
- 6 External links
Early years and Truth Is Currency (2002–2006)
Revelation Theory's initial members Rich Luzzi, Dave Agoglia, and Julien Jorgensen first met in 1997 at Merrimack College in North Andover, MA, and all moved to Long Island, NY in 2002 to pursue a career in music. A year later, bassist Matty McCloskey, who was a student at New York University joined the band, completing the quartet. They recorded a demo EP and began touring; in 2005 they were tapped for the Girls Gone Wild Rocks America tour. The group then signed with EMI subsidiary Element Records, and released the album Truth Is Currency in 2005.
In 2005, the band toured with Sevendust and Hinder and a single from Truth Is Currency, "Slowburn", hit No. 27 on the US Mainstream Rock Tracks chart. In 2006, they toured extensively with Hinder, Buckcherry, and Evanescence, also touring with the latter band in Europe during the same year.
Light It Up and breakthrough (2007–2009)
In 2007, the band toured with Hinder again, as well as with Papa Roach and Buckcherry. Later in 2007, the band signed a major label deal with Interscope Records and began writing their second album Light It Up. During this time the band shortened their official name to Rev Theory. They began to substantially build their fan base when World Wrestling Entertainment started using their music for pay-per-view events; initially with "Light It Up", which was the official theme music for WrestleMania XXIV, followed immediately with the use of "Hell Yeah" as the official theme for One Night Stand (2008), which took place in June. Former WWE wrestler Ashley Massaro appeared in the official "Hell Yeah" music video. Also in 2008, Rich Luzzi provided vocals for the song "Voices", the entrance theme of WWE wrestler Randy Orton. The song is also the title track on Voices: WWE The Music, Vol. 9 album. "Hell Yeah" was featured in the video game Madden NFL 09, and it was the goal song for the NHL's Winnipeg Jets.
That same year, Interscope, Geffen, A&M Records and Microsoft partnered together to premiere the band's new music video exclusively on the Xbox LIVE Video Store. This made Rev Theory’s single "Hell Yeah" the first ever video premiere on Xbox LIVE.
Rev Theory spent the end of 2008 opening for Hinder and Trapt on the Jägermeister Music Tour. The single "Light It Up" was included as part of the "hard rock package" as downloadable content in Guitar Hero: World Tour for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and Wii versions of the game.
In January 2009, Rev Theory began touring with Theory of a Deadman and Ten Second Epic, and in May toured with Buckcherry, Avenged Sevenfold, and Papa Roach. Rev Theory then toured as part of Crüe Fest 2 before touring throughout the fall of 2009 with such bands as Seether and Breaking Benjamin.
In February 2010, the band started writing new material for their third studio album with producer Terry Date. The title track and first single from the album, "Justice," was released on iTunes on October 25, 2010, and was released to radio stations on November 2, 2010. The band's song "Hangman" from the album Justice was used as a theme song for WWE SmackDown when the show made its debut on their new network home Syfy. "Justice" was also named the official theme song to the 2011 WWE pay-per-view event, Extreme Rules. Justice was released on February 15, 2011 and debuted on the Billboard top 200 charts at No. 75.
To support the "Justice" album, Rev Theory went on tour from April 13, 2011 to May 13, 2011 opening for Saliva, on Saliva's Hard Drive Spring Tour. Rev Theory then went on a four-date tour with Black Label Society on their Uranium Tour. Rev Theory also toured with Puddle of Mudd in 2011. Rev Theory was supposed to go on tour with Hatebreed, All That Remains, and Five Finger Death Punch from October 13 to December 14, but had to cancel due to a band member's injury.
On April 12, 2012, Rev Theory posted on their Facebook Page that Rikki Lixx will no longer be a part of their band, stating "We've parted ways on good terms and we wish him nothing but success in his creative endeavors. We love Rikki and he will always be our friend and our brother."
Take 'Em Out and The Revelation (2012–present)
On November 1, 2012, Rev Theory announced that they were putting out a new EP titled Take 'Em Out, through Universal Music Group's specialty licensing label/publisher Killer Tracks. The EP, which featured four songs produced by Wax Ltd, was also released commercially online through digital retailers and streaming sites, including iTunes and Spotify. The song "Something New" gained considerable popularity online due in part to a high number of synchronization uses in media as well as a lyric video produced by The Uprising Creative. The "Something New" lyric video was premiered by Monster Energy and was later featured by VEVO.
The band spent most of 2013 promoting their Take 'Em Out EP and recording songs for a new studio album. On August 10, 2013 the band released a street track online called "Alpha king" along with another lyric video. The "Alpha King" lyric video premiered on Loudwire.com.
On February 20, 2014 the band teased a song online from their forthcoming studio album called "Red Light Queen" on Loudwire.com, along with an announcement that Paul Phillips (formerly with Puddle of Mudd) would be joining the band as lead guitarist on future tour dates.
In August, 2014, Rev Theory signed with Century Media/Sony Music imprint Another Century and also announced their first digital single with the label, "Born 2 Destroy." On September 19, 2014 the label premiered the official lyric video of "Born 2 Destroy" on Loudwire.com and on September 30, 2014, "Born 2 Destroy" was officially released as a digital single through online retailers like iTunes.
In October, 2015, WWE chose the song "We Own The Night" as the main theme song for the new WWE Network series "Breaking Ground." On January 8, 2016, "We Own The Night" was released as a digital single through online retailers like iTunes and streaming services like Spotify.
On July 29, 2016, Rev Theory officially announced that their fourth full-length studio album, The Revelation, will be released worldwide on Friday, September 9, 2016 via Another Century Records, a division of Sony Music Entertainment. The band also digitally released the first two songs from the new album, "Guns" and "We Own The Night," along with an official lyric video for "Guns."
- as Revelation Theory
- Truth Is Currency (2005)
- as Rev Theory
|2005||"Slowburn"||27||—||Truth Is Currency|
|2006||"Selfish And Cold"||—||—|
|2008||"Hell Yeah"||18||—||Light It Up|
|"Light It Up"||25||—|
|2009||"Far from Over"||15||36|
|2012||"Something New"||—||—||Take 'Em Out|
|2014||"Born 2 Destroy"||--||--|
|2016||"We Own The Night"||—||—||The Revelation|
|"—" denotes a release that did not chart.|
In other media
- 2008 – Wrestlemania 24 – "Light It Up" was used as the event's theme song.
- 2008 – WWE One Night Stand – "Hell Yeah" was used as the event's theme song.
- 2008 to present – Randy Orton – "Voices" is currently the entrance theme song of the WWE wrestler.
- 2008 – NASCAR 09 – "Light It Up" was featured in the video game.
- 2009 – Madden NFL 09 – "Hell Yeah" was featured in the video game.
- 2009 – Guitar Hero: World Tour – "Light It Up" was included as part of the hard rock download package.
- 2010 to 2011 – Blue Mountain State – "Hell Yeah" was used as the main theme in the opening title sequence.
- 2011 – Extreme Rules – "Justice" was used as the event's theme song.
- 2014 – Wrestlemania XXX – Rev Theory performed Randy Orton's theme song "Voices" live during the broadcast.
- 2014 – ESPN Deportes – "Something New" was used in a campaign promoting the European football tournament, the UEFA Champions League.
- 2014 – Kawasaki – "Something New" was used in a campaign for the 2015 Kawasaki Z300 motorcycle.
- 2015 to 2016 – WWE Network – "We Own The Night" was the main theme song for the reality series "Breaking Ground."
- Heaney, Gregory. "Rev Theory – Justice". AllMusic. All Media Network. Retrieved February 13, 2016.
- Bruno, Antony (July 19, 2008). "Touchdown". Billboard. 120 (29): 38. ISSN 0006-2510.
- Roth, Kaj. "REVIEW: Rev Theory – Truth Is Currency". Melodic. Retrieved February 13, 2016.
- Ken. "Rev Theory – Truth Is Currency". MetalReviews. Retrieved February 13, 2016.
- Revelation Theory to Rock Out in Columbia. The Maneater, February 7, 2006. Accessed September 30, 2007.
- Chart Positions, Allmusic.com
- Revelation Theory to Support Evanescence in Europe. Blabbermouth.net, October 14, 2006. Accessed September 30, 2007.
- "WWE: The Music Vol 9 CD". WWE. Retrieved 2009-01-14.
- Rev Theory Working On New Album
- Rikki Leaves Band. Rev Theory Facebook, April 12, 2012. Accessed April 12, 2012.
- "Something New lyric video premiering on Monster Energy website". MonsterEnergy.com.
- "Something New lyric video on VEVO". VEVO.com.
- ""Alpha King" lyric video on Loudwire". Loudwire.com.
- ""Red Light Queen" song premiere and Paul Phillips announcement on Loudwire". Loudwire.com.
- "Another Century launches and signs Rev Theory". THEPRP.com.
- "Another Century label signs Rev Theory". TeamRock.com.
- "Another Century press release announcing upcoming single "Born 2 Destroy"". AnotherCentury.com.
- ""Born 2 Destroy" lyric video premiere and release date announcement on Loudwire". Loudwire.com.
- "WWE "Breaking Ground" Premiere Episode". WWE Network.
- "REV THEORY To Release The Revelation Album In September; "Guns" Lyric Video Streaming". bravewords.com. Retrieved 30 July 2016.
- FMQB: Radio Industry News, Music Industry Updates, Arbitron Ratings, Music News and more!
- "NASCAR 09 SOUNDTRACK REVEALED". IGN. May 21, 2009. Retrieved March 3, 2016.