Richland Township, Darke County, Ohio
|Richland Township, Darke County, Ohio|
The Stillwater River in the township's far northwest
Location in Darke County and the state of Ohio
|• Total||21.2 sq mi (54.9 km2)|
|• Land||21.2 sq mi (54.8 km2)|
|• Water||0.04 sq mi (0.1 km2)|
|Elevation||978 ft (298 m)|
|• Density||40/sq mi (15.3/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086022|
Located in the central part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- York Township - north
- Wayne Township - northeast
- Adams Township - southeast
- Greenville Township - southwest
- Brown Township - northwest
No municipalities are located in Richland Township, although several unincorporated communities lie there:
- Beamsville, in the center, near the Stillwater River
- Dawn, in the north
- Stelvideo, in the south adjacent to the border with Adams Township
Name and history
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees. The current trustees are Daniel Hart, Michael Oliver, and Bob Wagner, and the clerk is Sandra Marker.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on September 11, 2013. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Richland township, Darke County, Ohio". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved December 2, 2015.
- The History of Darke County, Ohio. W. H. Beers & Company. 1880. p. 409.
- Wilson, Frazer Ells (1914). History of Darke County, Ohio, from its earliest settlement to the present time, Vol. 1. Milford, Ohio: Hobart Publishing Company. p. 588.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.
- Township Trustees Archived June 15, 2007, at the Wayback Machine.. Darke County. Accessed 2007-06-01.