Riverwood High School
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Riverwood International Charter School|
5900 Raider Drive NW (previously named Heards Drive)|
Sandy Springs, Georgia
|Principal||Mr. Charles Gardner|
|Color(s)||Red, white, and blue|
Riverwood International Charter School is a charter school located in Sandy Springs, Georgia, United States. Riverwood is one of Fulton County School's four magnet sites, offering International Studies and International Baccalaureate Programs.
International Studies Program
The International Studies Program, which enrolls 51% of the student body, is a challenging four-year curriculum that focuses on world issues, global economics, cultural awareness and field experiences such as internships and travel. As part of its International Studies Program, Riverwood also offers the International Baccalaureate Diploma Program, recognized around the world for its high academic, service and examination requirements.
Riverwood offers foreign language instruction in French, Japanese, Mandarin Chinese, and Spanish. Advanced course offerings include Advanced Placement courses in 15 subjects and 17 International Baccalaureate courses, all taught by certified IB teachers, which include Higher Level Mathematics, 20th Century History, and Theory of Knowledge. Riverwood also offers programs of study in several career and technical education areas. These include Broadcast Video Production, Business Education, Family and Consumer Science, Pre-Engineering Technology, and Culinary Arts.
Riverwood operates on a four-period A/B block schedule with four 90 minute classes per day.
Members of the class of 2010 received more than $12 million in scholarships and were accepted to more than 285 colleges and universities. The graduating class of 2011 included eight National Merit semifinalists, 13 National Merit Commended Scholars, and the school's second National Merit Achievement Scholar.
Riverwood's diverse student body is 47% white, 29% black, and 20% Hispanic. It offers programs to serve every student's needs, from Talented and Gifted to ESL. International students hail from 49 different countries with 23 different native languages.
- Becky Albertalli - American novelist known for the YA novel Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda 
- Jay Busbee - American journalist, novelist, sportswriter
- Amber Boardman - American-Australian artist 
- Amaechi Morton - collegiate runner (Stanford University), participated in the 2012 Summer Olympics (Nigeria)
- Tyler Thornburg - professional baseball player (Boston Red Sox)
- "I am pleased to announce that the school board approved the appointment of Mr. Charles Gardner as principal of Riverwood International Charter High School" (PDF). School.fultonschools.org. Retrieved 30 July 2018.
- "Riverwood International Charter School". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved December 10, 2017.
- Love, Simon: Atlanta author Becky Albertalli on adapting her hit YA book into a major movie
- "A conversation with Amber Boardman about beauty regimens and her love of Atlanta". Artsatl.com. 28 August 2017. Retrieved 30 July 2018.
- "Tyler Thornburg Stats, Fantasy & News". Boston Red Sox. Retrieved 30 July 2018.
|This school-related article concerning the U.S. state of Georgia is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|