Halifax Regional School Board
|Halifax Regional School Board|
Charles P Allen High School in Bedford
|33 Spectacle Lake Drive
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, B3B 1X7
|Motto||Providing a high quality education for every student every day.|
|School board||12 members|
|Chair of the board||Dave Wright|
|Budget||$452 million |
|Students and staff|
|Staff||9000 (approx) |
The Halifax Regional School Board (HRSB) is the public school board responsible for 136 elementary, junior high, and high schools located within the Halifax Regional Municipality in Nova Scotia, Canada. The current Superintendent of the HRSB is Elwin LeRoux. The board meets on Spectacle Lake Drive, Dartmouth. The board's stated vision is "to provide a high quality education to every student every day".
The board was created in 1996 with the amalgamation of three school boards that had jurisdiction over the former components of the Halifax Regional Municipality, which was created at the same time. Board elections have taken place in 1996, 2000, 2004, 2008 and 2012.
2006 board dismissal
On December 19, 2006 the Minister of Education, Karen Casey, dismissed all 13 members of the board due to interpersonal conflicts and having failed to comply with their Code of Ethics. The minister stated, "This board has failed to meet the performance standards set out under Section 64 (6) of the Education Act. Sec. 64 states that a school board, in carrying out its responsibilities under this act, shall meet education program services and performance standards established by the minister." Seven of the former Halifax Regional School Board members are considering legal action against the government for disbanding the elected group.
Howard Windsor, a former deputy minister, was appointed to act as the board until the municipal elections took place in October 2008. Mr. Windsor decided to discontinue their yearly stipends of $8,200, stating: "I respect the work done by the previous board members, but I see no reason to continue to pay them when they have neither the responsibility nor the authority to act on the public’s behalf." Windsor was replaced by a nine-member elected Board during regularly scheduled elections in 2008.
- Don Trider (1996–1999)
- David Reid (1999–2002)
- Carole Olsen (2002–2012)
- Judy White Interim (2012–2013)
- Elwin LeRoux (2012–Present)
Elected Board Members
- Gin Yee, District 3: Dartmouth Centre - Dartmouth North (Chair)
- Dave Wright, District 8: Lower Sackville - Upper Sackville (Vice-Chair)
- Melinda Daye, African Nova Scotian Representative
- Kirk Arsenault, Mi'kmaq Representative
- Bridget Ann Boutilier, District 1: Eastern Shore - Fall River
- Nancy Jakeman, District 2: Cole Harbour - Dartmouth East
- Cindy Littlefair, District 4: Peninsula South - Peninsula West
- Christy Linders, District 5: Peninsula North - Fairview
- Sheryl Blumenthal-Harrison, District 6: Clayton Park West - Spryfield
- Steve Warburton, District 7: South Shore - Bedford
- Auburn Drive High School
- Charles P. Allen High School
- Citadel High School
- Cole Harbour District High School
- Dartmouth High School (Grades 9-12)
- Duncan MacMillan High School (Grades 7-12)
- Eastern Shore District High School
- Halifax West High School
- J.L. Ilsley High School
- Lockview High School (Grades 9-12)
- Millwood High School (Grades 9-12)
- Musquodoboit Rural High School (Grades 7-12)
- Prince Andrew High School
- Sackville High School
- Sir John A. Macdonald High School
Junior high schools
- Astral Drive Junior High School
- A. J. Smeltzer Junior High School
- Rocky Lake Junior High School
- Bicentennial School (Grades Primary-9)
- Brookside Junior High (Grades 6-9)
- Caledonia Junior High
- Clayton Park Junior High
- Cunard Junior High
- Eastern Passage Education Centre
- Elizabeth Sutherland School (Grades Primary-9)
- Ellenvale Junior High
- Eric Graves Junior High
- Fairview Junior High
- Five Bridges Junior High
- Gaetz Brook Junior High
- Georges P. Vanier Junior High (Grades 7-8)
- Gorsebrook Junior High School
- Graham Creighton Junior High School
- Halifax Central Junior High
- Harold T. Barrett Junior High (Grades 7-8)
- Herring Cove Junior High
- Highland Park Junior High
- John Martin Junior High
- Leslie Thomas Junior High
- Madeline Symonds Middle School (Grades 6-9)
- Oxford School (Grades Primary-9)
- Oyster Pond Academy (Grades Primary-9)
- Park West School (Grades Primary-9)
- Prince Arthur Junior High
- Ross Road School (Grades Primary-9)
- Sackville Heights Junior High
- Sir Robert Borden
- St. Agnes Junior High
- Rockingstone Heights (Grades Primary-9)
- Ridgecliff Middle School (Grades 6-9)
- "Office of the Superintendent". Halifax Regional School Board. Retrieved 15 September 2015.
- "About Us". Halifax Regional School Board. Retrieved 15 September 2015.
- "Financial Services". Halifax Regional School Board. Retrieved 23 December 2016.
- "Human Resource Service". Halifax Regional School Board. Retrieved 23 December 2016.
- "Squabbling costs school board members their jobs". Canadian Broadcasting Corporation. December 19, 2006. Retrieved November 17, 2008.
- "Fired school board members ponder lawsuit". Canadian Broadcasting Corporation. December 21, 2006. Retrieved November 17, 2008.
- Kimber, Stephen (2 October 2008). "Class dismissed". The Coast.
- "Stipends Discontinued for Former HRSB Members" (PDF). Halifax Regional School Board. 29 January 2007.