|Alma mater||Indian Institute of Management Calcutta, Delhi Technological University|
|Occupation||Entrepreneur, Investment Banker, CEO|
|Title||Co-founder, foodpanda & Founder, Paylo|
Rohit Chadda (born 26 August 1982) is the CEO for the digital business at Zee group (Zee Entertainment, Zee Media and DNA) where he is building the future of Zee Digital on the four growth pillars - hyperlocal, social, content based commerce and UGC (user generated content). He is an investment banker turned serial entrepreneur and is the co-founder of online food ordering platform foodpanda. He is also the founder of omni-channel payments platform PayLo..
Education and early career
Chadda graduated from Delhi Technological University (formerly Delhi College of Engineering) with a degree in computer engineering and worked as a software engineer for Computer Sciences Corporation. In 2007 he joined Indian Institute of Management Calcutta to do his MBA after which he worked at Merrill Lynch as an Investment Banker in United Kingdom. He took an internal transfer to India in 2011.
Chadda began his entrepreneurial journey in 2012 when he co-founded foodpanda. He introduced online food delivery in emerging markets when the category was virtually non-existent and was responsible for developing the category to one of the fastest growing e-commerce verticals in the World. foodpanda expanded to 40+ countries before being bought by its global competitor Delivery Hero. Before foodpanda got popular he used to tell people that he delivers pizza for a living. foodpanda is active in over 40 countries across the world with over 22,000 restaurant partners and has raised a total investment of over US$100 million till August 2014. In 2015, he launched a multi-channel offline payments platform PayLo which acquired the in-restaurant payments app Ruplee in March 2016 for an undisclosed sum. PayLo was tremendously successful in the wake of demonetisation in India and expanded successfully pan-India before being acquired by Immortal Technologies. Chadda believes that execution is more important than the idea to make a startup successful and the key challenge for experienced professionals to work in a startup environment is to unlearn what they have previously learned.
Mentor and Angel Investor
Chadda is a mentor at Esselerator, a Startup accelerator by Subhash Chandra Foundation. Esselerator is an initiative by Subhash Chandra, a billionaire Media baron, to promote and support tech entrepreneurs in domains like Media, Fintech and Education. Its powered by TiE Mumbai. Chadda is an angel investor in the online school aggregator platform SchoolForSure.com.
Award and recognitions
- Aditya Birla Award for Business Leadership 2007-08, 2008-09
- Professional Entrepreneur of the Year 2014
- Young Food & Grocery Professional of the Year 2014
- Ranked 22 on Fortune 40 under 40 most influential business leaders list 2015
- Top 25 Most Talented Ecommerce Professionals in India 2015
- Bureau, Adgully. "ZEE Group appoints Rohit Chadda to the role of CEO - Digital Publishing". www.adgully.com. Retrieved 20 July 2019.
- "Taking the plunge - Bangalore Mirror". Retrieved 27 July 2016.
- "I love the As - my Audi, Apple gadgets and Asics shoes: Rohit Chadda, MD and Co-founder, Foodpanda.in - The Financial Express". The Financial Express. 12 January 2015. Retrieved 27 July 2016.
- Poovanna, Sharan (22 March 2016). "Payments platform Paylo buys Ruplee". Retrieved 27 July 2016.
- "Paylo.in acquires in-restaurant payment app Ruplee". Retrieved 27 July 2016.
- "Rohit Chadda | LinkedIn". in.linkedin.com. Retrieved 27 July 2016.
- Sarkar, John (3 April 2015). "Braving parents & in-laws". Times of India. Retrieved 16 May 2018.
- "SmartCEO - Magazine - Starting Up - Hello, food!". www.thesmartceo.in. Retrieved 27 July 2016.
- "FoodPanda raises $60 mn in a new round of funding - Times of India". Retrieved 27 July 2016.
- "Money on the move - The Financial Express". The Financial Express. 17 April 2016. Retrieved 27 July 2016.
- "Startup mantras from entrepreneurs like NR Narayana Murthy, Richard Branson, Kunal Bahl and others". Retrieved 27 July 2016.
- Chaturvedi, Pooja (11 January 2015). "The office is shifting". Retrieved 27 July 2016.
- "The Net Neutrality debate: Paytm and FoodPanda co-founders elaborate". The Financial Express. 28 April 2015. Retrieved 16 May 2018.
- "SchoolForSure.com | Crunchbase". Crunchbase. Retrieved 23 June 2018.
- "VC Circle Profile".
- "Entrepreneur India Awards".
- "CMO ASIA Awards". www.cmoasia.org. Retrieved 27 April 2016.
- "Fortune 40 under 40".
- "Asia Retail Congress Awards". www.asiaretailcongress.com. Retrieved 27 April 2016.