Hillman with the Denver Broncos
|No. 23 Denver Broncos|
|Date of birth:||September 14, 1991|
|Place of birth:||Long Beach, California|
|Height:||5 ft 10 in (1.78 m)|
|Weight:||195 lb (88 kg)|
|High school:||La Habra (CA)|
|College:||San Diego State|
|NFL draft:||2012 / Round: 3 / Pick: 67|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics as of Week 17, 2015|
Ronnie Keith Ryan Hillman (born September 14, 1991) is an American football running back with the Denver Broncos of the National Football League (NFL). He was formerly the starting running back for the San Diego State Aztecs. He ranked fourth among all players in the NCAA Football Bowl Subdivision with an average of 5.5 rushing yards per carry. He was drafted in the 3rd round of the 2012 NFL Draft, 67th overall, by the Denver Broncos.
Hillman is from Long Beach, California. He has four brothers and one sister. He attended La Habra High School where he lettered in football, basketball, and track and field. As a senior at running back, he accounted for better than 2,000 all-purpose yards and garnered attention from Fresno State, San Diego State, Colorado State and Wyoming. Hillman was also a sprinter on the track & field team, where he ran the 100 and the 4x100 with a personal record of 10.7 seconds in the 100-meter dash.
Hillman sat out the 2009 season while SDSU sorted out administrative issues involving his admission. This redshirt year did not count towards Hillman's eligibility.
As a freshman for the 2010 San Diego State Aztecs football team, Hillman gained 1,532 yards and scored 17 rushing touchdowns. On September 18, 2010, he gained 228 rushing yards against Missouri in his third college football game.
As a sophomore, Hillman rushed for 1,478 yards and 15 touchdowns during the 2011 regular season. He ranked fourth among all players in the NCAA Football Bowl Subdivision with an average of 5.5 rushing yards per game. He ranked sixth in total rushing yards. He gained over 100 rushing yards in eight of San Diego State's 12 games in 2011.
On September 17, 2011 the San Diego State Aztecs faced the 2-0 undefeated Washington State Cougars at Qualcomm Stadium. Hillman scored on four touchdown runs, leading the Aztecs to a 42-24 victory and their first 3-0 Start in 30 Years.
On October 29, 2011, he gained a season-high 224 yards against Wyoming for 2 touchdowns, including a 99 yard touchdown run.
2012 NFL Combine
|Ht||Wt||40-yd dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert||Broad||BP|
|5 ft 9 in||200 lb||4.45 s||1.54 s||2.54 s||37 in||17 reps|
|All values from NFL Combine |
On January 4, 2012, Ronnie Hillman announced that he hired an agent and would be entering the 2012 NFL Draft. Hillman was drafted with the 67th pick in the 3rd round by the Denver Broncos. In week 11 vs the Carolina Panthers, Hillman scored his first career touchdown on a 5 yard run.
Hillman earned the starting job in the season opener against the Baltimore Ravens where he had 4 carries for 15 yards and 2 catches for 27 yards. On September 23, he had a rushing touchdown against the Oakland Raiders. On October 20 against the Indianapolis Colts, the Broncos were down by 6 on the Colts' 2 yard line and needed the touchdown to take the lead. Hillman took the carry and fumbled as Indy recovered. The Broncos reached Super Bowl XLVIII, but lost 43-8 to the Seattle Seahawks. Hillman was inactive for the Super Bowl.
After teammate Montee Ball went down with a groin injury, Hillman was announced the starter. In his first career start, Hillman had 100 yards rushing in 31-17 win the New York Jets. He would have 74 yards, 2 touchdowns (from 37 yards and 1 yard out) in 42-17 rout over the San Francisco 49ers.
Hillman had the most productive season of his career in 2015, rushing for 863 yards and 7 touchdowns on the year. In week 4 against the Minnesota Vikings, Hillman ran for a 72 yard touchdown, the longest run of the 2015 NFL season at that point. The Broncos finished the season 12-4 and earned the AFC's #1 seed. The Broncos beat the Steelers and Patriots to advance to Super Bowl 50 where they would defeat the Carolina Panthers 24-10.
- "ESPN Profile". ESPN.com.
- Lourie, Steven. "Denver Broncos 2012 Draft Grades". Retrieved 5/4/12. Check date values in:
- "Ronnie Hillman profile". San Diego State University. Retrieved October 30, 2011.
- "Ronnie Hillman". ESPN.com. Retrieved November 27, 2011.
- Tim Sullivan (December 23, 2010). "This performance no dry run for Hillman". San Diego Union-Tribune. Retrieved October 30, 2011.
- Nick Canepa (September 24, 2010). "Hillman inspires memories of ex-Aztecs great Faulk". San Diego Union-Tribune. Retrieved October 30, 2011.
- "Statistics - Individual (Rushing)". ncaa.com. Retrieved November 27, 2011.
- "NCAA Division I-A Player Rushing Statistics - 2011 (Rushing Yards Leaders - All Players)". ESPN.com. Retrieved November 27, 2011.
- Eric Schmoldt (October 26, 2011). "San Diego State's speedy Hillman ranks among top running backs in the nation". Star-Tribune.
- "Hillman leads San Diego State past Air Force". Associated Press. October 13, 2011.
- Brent Schrotenboer (October 18, 2011). "SDSU's Hillman shares thoughts on NFL future". Sign On San Diego. Retrieved October 30, 2011.
- "NFL Combine Results - Ronnie Hillman". NFL.com. NFL.com. Retrieved 12/12/14. Check date values in:
- Schrotenboer, Brent (4 January 2012). "Post-Hillman era begins at SDSU". San Diego Union-Tribune. Retrieved 9 January 2012.