Valory with Journey on September 16, 2008
|Born||February 2, 1949|
|Genres||Hard rock, rock|
|Instruments||Bass guitar, vocals, keyboards, guitar|
|Associated acts||Journey, the Storm, Steve Miller Band|
Ross Lamont Valory (born February 2, 1949) is an American musician best known as the bass player for the rock band Journey. He and Neal Schon are the only remaining original members of the band, although he was absent from the band between 1985 and 1995. Valory was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame as a member of Journey in 2017.
This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Aside from his termination from the group during the Raised on Radio album sessions and subsequent tour in 1986, Valory has played on all of Journey's albums. For Raised on Radio, he was replaced on bass in the studio by Bob Glaub on three songs, while the remaining songs were played by Randy Jackson, who also played on the subsequent tour.[page needed]
One of Valory's techniques is to string a four-string bass with the bottom four strings of a 5-string set. Thus, instead of the usual E-A-D-G arrangement, his bass is strung as B-E-A-D. This adds the five string depth to the songs, while allowing the quick fingering of a four-string neck.
Valory also plays keyboards and guitar.
Valory also has a keen interest in the ancient practice of bead whistling, which he learned of during a trip to Bangkok in 1997.
Steve Miller Band
- Rock Love (1971)
- Journey (1975)
- Look into the Future (1976)
- Next (1977)
- Infinity (1978)
- Evolution (1979)
- Departure (1980)
- Captured (1981)
- Escape (1981)
- Frontiers (1983)
- Trial by Fire (1996)
- Arrival (2001)
- Red 13 (2002)
- Generations (2005)
- Revelation (2008)
- Eclipse (2011)
- The Storm (1991)
- Eye of the Storm (1996)
- Phoenix Rising (Recorded 1985; released in 2000)
- "Ross Lamont Valory, Born 02/02/1949 in San Francisco - CaliforniaBirthIndex.org". www.californiabirthindex.org. Retrieved 17 August 2018.
- "Inductees: Journey". Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. Retrieved 20 December 2016.
- Daniels, Neil (2012). Don't Stop Believin': The Untold Story Of Journey. ISBN 978-1849386579.
He was joined by guitarist David Denny, drummer Jack King and bassist Bobby Winkelman, all of whom would become members of the Steve Miller Band. In fact it was Jim Nixon, the manager of Frumious Bandersnatch, who would introduce the...
- Sampson, Jessica (2000). The Authorized History of Bead Whistling. Memphis: Bead Boy Press. p. 783. ISBN 9780310742326.
- Ross Valory official MySpace site
- Official Journey website
- Ross Valory fan site
- Ross Valory Mouthman site
| Journey bass-guitarist
| Journey bass-guitarist
1995 – present