Nanana's Buried Treasure
|Nanana's Buried Treasure|
First light novel volume cover featuring the character Nanana Ryūgajō
|Genre||Adventure, Action, Supernatural, Comedy|
|Written by||Kazuma Ōtorino|
|Illustrated by||Akaringo (vol. 1-7), Non (vol. 8-)|
|Original run||January 30, 2012 – present|
|Written by||Kazuma Ōtorino|
|Illustrated by||Hitoshi Okuda|
|Magazine||Famitsu Comic Clear|
|Original run||January 2012 – present|
|Ikkyū Tensai no Kiwamete Fuhoni na Meisuiri|
|Written by||Kazuma Ōtorino|
|Illustrated by||Akaringo (vol. 1), Non (vol. 2-)|
|Original run||August 30, 2013 – present|
|Anime television series|
|Directed by||Kanta Kamei|
|Written by||Hideyuki Kurata|
|Music by||Keigo Hoashi/MONACA|
|Original network||Fuji TV (Noitamina)|
|Original run||April 10, 2014 – June 19, 2014|
Nanana's Buried Treasure (龍ヶ嬢七々々の埋蔵金 Ryūgajō Nanana no Maizōkin, lit. "Nanana Ryūgajō's Buried Treasure") is a Japanese light novel series, written by Kazuma Ōtorino with art by Akaringo. Enterbrain has published twelve volumes since January 2012 under their Famitsu Bunko imprint. A spin-off light novel series titled Ikkyū Tensai no Kiwamete Fuhon'i na Meisuiri (壱級天災の極めて不本意な名推理, lit. "Tensai Ikkyū's Reluctant Deduction") is also published under Famitsu Bunko, with the first volume released on August 30, 2013. A manga adaptation by Hitoshi Okuda began serialization in Enterbrain's Famitsu Comic Clear web magazine in January 2012. An anime television series adaptation by A-1 Pictures began airing from April 10, 2014 on Fuji TV's noitamina block.
In July 2014 Nozomi Ōsaka, under penname Non, replaces Akaringo as illustrator for the original light novel and its spin-off due to Akaringo's health condition. Akaringo stated that his health declined, and which is why the illustration for seventh volume could not be finished. Due to this, the decision was made to replace the illustrator in both projects.
On the "Special Student Zone" artificial island – Nanaejima, the story centers on a beautiful, optimistic, but NEET (not in education, employment or training) girl Nanana Ryūgajō, who was mysteriously killed in her own apartment.
Ten years later, a boy named Juugo Yama was forced to transfer to a high school on the island. With only a certain amount of money to live on, Juugo chooses a low-rent apartment that happens to be haunted by the ghostly Nanana, who is bound to her former home and unable to move on. Juugo and members of the school's adventure club join a "treasure hunt royale" on the island for the Nanana Collection, treasures that possess mysterious powers.
- Jūgo Yama (八真 重護 Yama Jūgo)
- Voiced by: Yūki Ono
- The male protagonist, Juugo, is an energetic student in his second year of high school with strong stamina and endurance as well as a fondness for girls in maid outfits. He is devoted to helping Nanana move on, in spite of her constant commotion in his room, as he tries to find interest in her. Juugo joins the school's adventure club on a hunt for the island's Nanana Collection. It is revealed he's secretly the heir of Matsuri, an ancient "noble" thief organization that claims to only steal from the wicked, but was banished to Nanae Island when he refused to take the position due to a difference in ideals. Juugo claims he does not believe in doing things for others, and does not believe he'd give everything to help anyone. Despite refusing to take the position, Jūgo is actually quite good at stealing treasures, and managed to outmatch Tensai, Isshin, and even other Matsuri members a few times, although Tensai usually deduces it in the end. Jūgo's Nanana Collection is a large jewel that allows its user to tell when others lie when looking through it, which originally belongs to Ikkaku, but Jūgo intercepted it when Matsuri members attempted to steal it, and gave them a fake one later.
- Nanana Ryūgajō (龍ヶ嬢 七々々 Ryūgajō Nanana)
- Voiced by: Rui Tanabe
- The female heroine. Nanana is the ghost bound to Juugo's room since her assassination 10 years ago. Unable to leave the room, Nanana spends all her time playing video and online games, and eating her favorite and only food – pudding, therefore forced to live as a NEET; though she is never bored with it, but in reality she is lonely until Juugo rents the room. Living as a human, Nanana was an extremely famous adventurer on the island, part of the group called Great 7, discovering great treasures, until her unsolved murder. Her remaining treasures and property become the islands' greatest secret following her death. As an adventurer, Nanana knows all of her treasures' hidden locations, the trap protecting them, and their functions, but refuses to tell them, considering the secrets and risk a part of the precious experience. When she was alive, Nanana had collected treasure and mysterious artifacts with secret power from all over the world. The treasure is referred as Nanana's Buried Treasure, which the hidden location is lost after Nanana's death, while those artifacts that possess hidden powers are referred as the Nanana Collection, and have been scattered across the island by an unknown party known as "Leprechaun".
- Tensai Ikkyū (壱級 天災 Ikkyū Tensai)
- Voiced by: Kana Asumi
- Juugo's classmate. Tensai is smart and into solving puzzles; she aspires to be a master detective and refers to herself as such. Though smart, she has trouble properly explaining her deductions as her thoughts go too fast for her to fully express them. She moves into the apartment next to Juugo's and becomes his neighbor. She knows that Jūgo is connected to Matsuri and declares him her rival, and thus frequently follows him and even occasionally wishes that events lead him to criminal activity. Her Nanana Collection is a charm which is rumored to have exorcising ability. Whenever she meets someone, after they give their name she asks for their "real name".
- Daruku Hoshino (星埜 ダルク Hoshino Daruku)
- Voiced by: Kana Hanazawa
- Juugo's classmate and Tensai's assistant. Daruku is a boy, but has a feminine appearance and personality; he generally dresses as a maid, and wears the women's uniform at school. It is hinted that he is attracted to Tensai, and he has occasionally been seen to offer Tensai food and then consider using the utensils to taste her saliva.
Adventure club members
- Isshin Yuiga (唯我 一心 Yuiga Isshin)
- Voiced by: Kazuyuki Okitsu
- A third-year student and President of the Adventure Club. He's obsessed with obtaining the Nanana's treasures' power. He had betrayed Jūgo and Tensai twice for Nanana's treasure, but failed in the end both times. He is known to be popular with girls. His Nanana Collection is a teapot that can make tea without tea leaves, and a pair of glasses that can copy other people's knowledge and abilities, he also had a magical staff that can grant wishes that he received by betraying Jūgo and Tensai, but was forcefully bought off by Ikkaku later.
- Yū Ibara (茨 夕 Ibara Yū)
- Voiced by: Eri Suzuki
- The strict vice-president of the Adventure Club. She is loyal to Isshin, and will become angry whenever anyone speak ill of him.
- Kagetora Tsurezure (徒然 影虎 Tsurezure Kagetora)
- Voiced by: Yuuki Hayashi
- A club member who masters in intelligence.
- Kasumi Konjō (今生 霞 Konjō Kasumi)
- Voiced by: Ayako Kawasumi
- One of the former residents of Nanana's room. Juugo finds a hidden manual that Kasumi left behind instructing him how to deal with Nanana. It is said Kasumi is one of the founders of the Adventure Club.
- Hiiyo Ikusaba (戦場 緋夜 Ikusaba Hiiyo)
- Voiced by: Tomokazu Sugita
- Vice-president of the first generation Adventure Club. He serves as the main antagonist of the story, believes might makes right, and will threaten, use brute force, and sacrifice others to get what he wants. The first generation of Adventure club was almost disbanded when he used a female member as sacrifice in order to get a Nanana Collection, causing her to become physically crippled, and left the club with the collection. He came into conflict with the present Adventure club when he threatens Saki as she knows the clue about the treasure; the club fought him inside the treasure room. While he held off the group and fled, he was later intercepted by Matsuri members, under Jūgo's command. His Nanana Collections are a bell that can summon cloud and rain, a pair of shoes that allows the user to dive into shadows as if swimming, and a ring that allows the user to give strong mental suggestions to others. He is also the previous resident of Nanana's room, but was kicked out as he rarely stayed, did not pay the rent, and often left Nanana alone.
- Jūgo's Father
- Voiced by: Rikiya Koyama
- The 13th leader of Matsuri, he banished Jūgo from the organization when the latter refuses to succeed his position. He is also collecting Nanana's treasure, which he declares that he is using them to conquer the world, although Jūgo consider him joking due to his personality.
- Yukihime Fugi (不義 雪姫 Fugi Yukihime)
- Voiced by: Mamiko Noto
- A college girl, Yukihime is secretly a high-ranked member of Matsuri, and is the teacher of Jūgo's martial arts. She holds a grudge toward Jūgo for leaving Matsuri and is persistent in bringing him back. Jūgo later gave her a Nanana Collection, a pen that can shoot out chains to pin down the target to prevent his escape. She seems to hold feelings for Jūgo.
- Shū Todomatsu (椴松 鷲 Todomatsu Shū)
- Voiced by: Kōsuke Toriumi
- A young member under Yukihime's command who is a master of disguise known as Hundred-Faces.
- Ikkaku Shunjuu (一鶴 春秋 Shunjuu Ikkaku)
- The administrator of the islands.
- Shiki Maboro (真幌 肆季 Maboro Shiki)
- Voiced by: Yumi Uchiyama
- The landlady of the apartment that Juugo currently lives in. Shiki is Nanana's best friend from when she was still human, and they use to go on explorations on the island with the Great 7 group. She hopes Juugo could properly help Nanana cheer up and keep her company.
- Sansa Kurosu (黒須 参差 Kurosu Sansa)
- Voiced by: Harumi Sakurai
- Leader of the Three Skulls, the head of Nanae-jima underground. She was a member of Great 7, but was banished. Her Nanana Collection includes an eye patch that allows her to see from nearby people's eyesight, an arrow which can point to an item's location for the user, and a large white tiger.
- Tetsunoshin Tsujimi (辻深 鉄之進 Tsujimi Tetsunoshin)
- Voiced by: Yoshimasa Hosoya
- A member of Three Skulls and Juugo's classmate. "Tetsu" carries a real Japanese sword and wields it proficiently. He is fervently devoted to protecting Saki, and will do anything and fight anyone for her sake, though he denies any romantic involvement.
- Saki Yoshino (吉野 咲希 Yoshino Saki)
- Voiced by: Misaki Kuno
- A member of Three Skulls and a first year at Juugo's school. Kurosu nicknamed her "Yun" because she "looks like a 'Yun'". She suffers from a minor case of androphobia, though she is generally able to accept men once she knows them. She took a job request by Ikusaba to enter a particular ruin and retrieve the treasure inside, but failed and was severely injured. During this time she was missing for several days, and when she returned she did not remember anything about what had happened.
- Yurika Yumeji (夢路 百合香 Yumeji Yurika)
- Voiced by: Kanae Itō
- Juugo's classmate. Yurika is aspired to become a novelist, and she seems to have interest in Juugo.
An anime television series adaptation by A-1 Pictures began airing from April 10, 2014 on Fuji TV's noitamina block. The opening theme for the series was "Butterfly Effect" performed by Shiritsu Ebisu Chugaku and the ending theme is "Kasukana Hisokana Tashikana Mirai" (微かな密かな確かなミライ, lit. "A Hazy, Secret, Certain Future"), performed by the voice acting unit Sphere. The anime has been licensed for streaming by Aniplex of America.
Before the first light novel volume was published in January 2012, Enterbrain streamed a promotional video on December 26, 2011 with animation by A-1 Pictures, after the novel won the top prize at the 13th Enterbrain Entertainment Awards in September 2011.
|No.||Title||Original air date|
|1||"Disowned and Exiled"
"Kandō-sarete Shimanagashi" (勘当されて島流し)
|April 10, 2014|
|After being exiled and disowned by his father, Juugo arrives in Nanaejima, an artificial island which also known as the Special Student Zone, and is glad to be free. He arrives in his apartment he rented only to be greeted by Nanana, a ghost who resides in Juugo's new room. After playing some games with Nanana to determine who's the master of Juugo's room (and breaking his arm in the process), Juugo did some research about Nanana and even asks her landlady, Shiki Maboro, about her time with Nanana before her death. She reveals that Nanana was once an adventurer and part of the Great 7 group and even learns about Nanana's treasure that has been scattered around the island. At night there's been a report that the phantom thieves by the name Matsuri have stolen an item in one of the buildings. Meanwhile, while Juugo is on the way back from a convenience store, he notices a small parachute holding a small box.|
|2||"The Nanae Island Third High School Adventure Club"
"Nanae-jima Dai San Kōtōbu Bōkenbu" (七重島第三高等部・冒険部)
|April 17, 2014|
|Back at his room, it turns out that the box that Juugo found contains a jewel called Light-Up Lie Detector, one of Nanana's Collection as she recognize the item. In another area, the members of the Matsuri group, Yukihime and Shu were arguing that their plans didn't go as planned as the jewel was stolen and can't be found. The next morning, a young detective by the name Tensai and is deducting the scene of the crime with her assistant Daraku and leads right back to Juugo as the culprit after reviewing the security footage. After showing proof that he's the thief (and a pervert as the footage shows him reading adult magazine), Juugo gives back the jewel to her only the following morning, she was charged as the thief who stole the jewel. Soon, both Tensai and Daraku transfer to Juugo's school. Later, Juugo was invited by Isshin Yuiga, the president of the Adventurer club to join his club as he even knows about Nanana. After Yuiga's visit with Nanana, Nanana reveals to Juugo that the killer who murdered her has a dragon mark on the back of the neck and Juugo decides to help her find the killer. With the help of Tensai (as she tags along), both pass Yuiga's test and both are officially members of the group.|
|3||"The Ruins 1,000 Meters Above Ground"
"Chijō Sen Mētoru no Iseki" (地上1000mの《遺跡》)
|April 24, 2014|
|After playing one of Nanana's games and she gives Juugo a hint of her locations, the adventurer club reveals that the treasure resides on the shopping complex called Rising Building. After getting inside the puzzle room and obtaining the treasure, Yuiga betrays Tensai and Juugo and leaves them stranded in the center of the treasure. Thankfully, two police officers come to help them and Juugo tells them to arrest him instead. However it turns out that the police officers are the Matsuri gang. Back at Juugo's place, Nanana reveals that Yuiga obtained a Wizard's cane that can grant him any wishes he likes while Tensai messages Juugo that she found Yuiga's location.|
|4||"Dreams and Ambitions and Denial and Attraction"
"Yume to ka Yabō to ka Hitei to ka Akogare to ka" (夢とか野望とか否定とか憧れとか)
|May 01, 2014|
|After distracting Tensai with the fake kidnapping, Juugo teams up with Yukihime to steal back the Wizard Cane from Yuiga after Juugo gives Yukihime the Light-Up Lie Detector jewel. Both groups clash and Juugo was badly injured after taking damage from Yuiga's spells from the cane until the cane's power suddenly deactivates. Juugo reveals that the cane's power is limited and tells Yuiga that he didn't think of the flaws as he assumes he has the most powerful artifact. Yuiga was loss for words and was about be punched by Juugo but somehow he didn't punch him; only to be knockdown by his other assistant, Kagetora. Yuiga's group manages to escape only to be surrounded by an army along with Tensai as Ikkaku's messenger as Yuiga was supposed to give Ikkaku the cane with a very high price. Later, Yuiga secretly meets with Juugo and apologizes for what he has done as Juugo leaves, warning him not to betray them again. Back at the apartment, Juugo sees Tensai waiting for him. To his surprise, Tensai knew his relations with the Matsuri group after he hack into his phone the day she first entered his room. However, she doesn't capture him as she needs a rival and decides to live near his room. She even makes up her mind that she's going to be living near his room. After she leaves, Juugo receives a call from his dad and they discuss about Juugo's selfish ideal of not helping others even he has the talent. Furious, Juugo retorts and hangs up. Returning to his room, he reveals that he gave the fake jewel to Yukihime as he seems to cherish it. Nanana seems okay with it as she entrusts him in finding the killer for her.|
"Misshon Inposshiburu" (ミッション・インポッシブル)
|May 08, 2014|
|6||"To the Hot Springs Town"
"Iza, Onsen Machi e" (いざ、温泉街へ)
|May 15, 2014|
|7||"Counseling for Bad Guys"
"Akutō no o Nayami Sōdan" (悪党のお悩み相談)
|May 22, 2014|
|8||"A Strange Visitor"
"Kimyō na Raihōsha" (奇妙な来訪者)
|May 29, 2014|
|9||"A Study of Hiiyo Ikusaba and Saki Yoshino"
"Ikusaba Hiiyo to Yoshino Saki ni Tsuite no Kōsatsu" (戦場緋夜と吉野咲希についての考察)
|June 5, 2014|
|June 12, 2014|
|11||"The Resolve of Juugo Yama"
"Yama Jūgo ga Kimeru Kakugo" (八真重護が決める覚悟)
|June 19, 2014|
- Anime News Network (11 July 2014). "Nanana's Buried Treasure Series Replaces Illustrator Akaringo". Anime News Network. Retrieved 10 October 2015.
- "Nanana's Buried Treasure Novel Gets Noitamina Anime from A-1 Pictures". Anime News Network. December 12, 2013. Retrieved December 12, 2013.
- "Sphere to Perform Nanana's Buried Treasure Anime's Ending". Anime News Network. December 12, 2013. Retrieved December 12, 2013.
- "Aniplex USA to Stream The irregular at Magic High School, Mushishi: The Next Chapter". Anime News Network. March 22, 2014. Retrieved March 22, 2014.
- "A-1 Makes Nanana's Buried Treasure Novel's Anime Promo". Anime News Network. December 26, 2011. Retrieved December 12, 2013.
- Theron Martin (25 June 2014). "Nanana's Buried Treasure". Anime News Network. Retrieved 28 June 2014.