||This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (October 2015)|
|Industry||Financial services, Media|
1987as S&L Securities LP
|Headquarters||Charlottesville, Virginia, U.S.|
|Mike Chinn, President & CEO
Nick Cafferillo, COO
Number of employees
|3,067 (April 2015)|
|Parent||McGraw Hill Financial|
SNL Financial LC is a financial information firm headquartered in Charlottesville, Virginia, United States. SNL Financial collects, standardizes and disseminates corporate, financial, market and mergers & acquisitions data, as well as news and analysis for banking, financial services, insurance, real estate, energy and media/communications industries.
Products and information
SNL is a sector-focused financial information firm, serving more than 5,000 client companies and 100,000 users worldwide. The firm covers data of more than 6,500 public companies and over 50,000 private companies in banking, financial services, insurance, real estate, energy and media/communications industries.
SNL’s products include an online subscription database with real-time news and analytical tools; investor relations web site hosting; electronic newsletters; and printed data publications. SNL’s client base includes investment banks, investment managers, corporate executives, ratings agencies, government bodies, consulting firms and law firms who use SNL’s information for business intelligence and analysis.
SNL Financial was founded in 1987 in Hoboken, New Jersey by Reid and Jessica Nagle. SNL was originally named "S&L Securities", with an initial focus on the savings and loan industry. However, New Jersey statutes forbade the incorporation of a non-bank with "S&L" in the company name. So the "&" was replaced with an "N" to create "SNL."
SNL launched coverage of banks in 1989 when it moved to its current headquarters in Charlottesville, Virginia. SNL added coverage of non-bank financial sectors in 1993; real estate in 1994; insurance in 1997; and energy in 2000. Also in 2000, Mike Chinn became company president after starting his SNL career in 1994.
In 2001, SNL launched SNL IR Solutions, its investor relations Web site hosting service. SNL acquired Y-Merge in 2002, headed by Will Pappas who subsequently joined SNL’s board and became Managing Director of Sales.
SNL started expanding its operations globally in 2003 by establishing an office in India, followed by office openings in Pakistan (2005) and London (2007). In the U.S., SNL established an Arlington, Virginia office in 2004 following its acquisition of Io Energy LLC, and a Jersey City, New Jersey office in 2005 following its acquisition of Regulatory Research Associates, SNL opened a Boulder, Colorado office in 2009 and a Richmond, Virginia office in 2010.
After launching coverage of the media & communications sector in 2006, SNL acquiried Kagan Research, a long-time provider of proprietary analysis on the media industry, forming SNL Kagan with an accompanying office in Monterey, California. 
SNL expanded its information service outside of the U.S. in 2007 by including coverage of the public real estate market in Europe and the Asia-Pacific region.
In 2011, the company launched European banking coverage.  On July 26, 2011, SNL Financial announced that New Mountain Capital had acquired a majority equity stake in the company In August, SNL Financial was named for the fourth year running to Inc. Magazine's "Inc 5000 List", a ranking of the fastest growing private companies in the United States. On September 28, 2011, SNL Financial acquired Highline Data from Summit Business Media. On November 17, 2011, SNL Financial acquired Datatrac's interest rate data products, thus strengthening SNL's product for financial institutions.
2012 marked SNL Financial's 25th anniversary. SNL's product offerings continued to expand with three acquisitions. First, a March 19 acquisition of MediaCensus, the main data product from MediaBiz. Then on July 11, SNL Financial announced the acquisition of "SwiftKnowledge", a web-based bank reporting and analysis application, and simultaneous launch of SNLBanker. SNL's third acquisition in 2012 was announced on October 17, in which SNL entered the metals & mining sector through the acquisition of Metals Economics Group (MEG), a provider of global mining industry information and analysis. The new division was named SNL Metals Economics Group. 2012 also marked SNL Financial's expansion into the Asia-Pacific region, with new offices opened in Hong Kong, Singapore and Manila. As of August 21, 2012, SNL Financial was named one of Inc. 5000's Fast Growing Companies for the fifth consecutive year.
In August 2013, SNL Kagan acquired Multimedia Research Group (MRG), a media and technology research firm based in Scottsdale, Arizona. In January 2014, SNL acquired IntierraRMG, a provider of information in the metals and mining sector. The new brand - SNL Metals & Mining - offers expanded coverage of mining data, news and analytics. Later in 2014, SNL Insurance acquired iPartners LLC. In August 2014, SNL received two honors —the company was named by Inc Magazine as one of the United State's fastest growing companies for the sixth time, and SNL was also listed as one of the "Top 50 Financial Twitter Feeds You Must Follow," according to the Wall Street Journal.
On September 1, 2015, McGraw Hill Financial announced completion of its acquisition of SNL Financial. The purchase price was approximately $2.225 billion.
SNL has offices in 21 cities worldwide, with a current workforce of more than 3,000 employees.
- New York City
- Jersey City, New Jersey
- Monterey, California
- Arlington, Virginia
- Richmond, Virginia
- Boulder, Colorado
- Denver, Colorado
- Scottsdale, Arizona
- Alpharetta, Georgia
- Boca Raton, Florida
- Fort Worth, Texas
- Islamabad, Pakistan
- London, United Kingdom
- Ahmedabad, India
- Hong Kong
- Makati City, Philippines
- Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
- Perth, Australia
- Stockholm, Sweden
- Calgary, Alberta, Canada
- Frankfurt, Germany
Board of managers
SNL’s board of managers consists of:
- Mike Chinn (President & CEO)
- Peter Masucci (Chairman of the Board, and a Managing Director of New Mountain Capital)
- Reid Nagle (Founder)
- Brandt Sakakeeny (Founder and Managing Partner of Rockingstone Advisors LLC)
- Matthew Lori (Managing Director of New Mountain Capital)
- Robert Musslewhite (Chief Executive Officer of The Advisory Board Company)
- "Inc. 5000 company profile". Inc. Magazine. Retrieved Aug 2011.
- "SNL Home". Retrieved 22 Jun 2009.
- "BusinessWeek Company Overview". BusinessWeek. Retrieved 16 Jun 2009.
- "About SNL". Retrieved 22 Dec 2010.
- "Tod Sedgwick Sells Io Energy to SNL Financial". 18 Oct 2004. Retrieved 16 Jun 2009.
- Susan Qualtrough (2007-04-04). "SNL Financial Acquires Kagan Research". Broadcasting & Cable. Retrieved 16 Jun 2009.
- "SNL European Financial Institutions Coverage.". Retrieved 22 Dec 2010.
- Erik Holm (July 26, 2011). "New Mountain Buys Majority Stake In SNL Financial". The Wall Street Journal.
- "New Mountain Capital to Acquire Majority Interest in SNL Financial". press release. July 26, 2011.
- "SNL Financial". inc.com. Retrieved 11 October 2015.
- Rapport, Marc (17 November 2011). "SNL Financial Buys Datatrac Database". Credit Union Times. Retrieved 11 October 2015.
- "SNL Kagan acquires MediaCensus, the flagship data product from MediaBiz". prweb.com. Retrieved 11 October 2015.
- "SNL Financial Acquires SwiftKnowledge; Launches SNLBanker". prweb.com. Retrieved 11 October 2015.
- "SNL Kagan expands global media and technology coverage through acquisition of Multimedia Research Group, Inc.". prweb.com. Retrieved 11 October 2015.
- "SNL Acquires IntierraRMG; Rebrands SNL Metals Economics Group as SNL Metals & Mining". prweb.com. Retrieved 11 October 2015.
- "SNL Insurance Acquires iPartners LLC". prweb.com. Retrieved 11 October 2015.
- "SNL Financial - Charlottesville, VA". Inc.com.
- Katie Martin. "50 Financial Twitter Feeds You Must Follow". WSJ.
- "About Us" Retrieved June 2015