Sahrawi Football Federation
The Sahrawi Football Federation (FSF) (Arabic: الصحراوية لكرة القدم, Spanish: Federación Saharaui de Fútbol) is the governing body of association football in Western Sahara, a territory that is disputed between Morocco and the Sahrawi Arab Democratic Republic. It was formed in 1989 and it is based in the city of Laayoune. The board runs helps run the Sahrawi national football team. The Sahrawi Football Federation hosts the Sahrawi Republic Cup.
The Sahrawi Football Federation is not affiliated to the Confederation of African Football (CAF) nor to FIFA. In December 2003 the Sahrawi Football Federation became provisionally affiliated to the N.F.-Board. The N.F.-Board (officially known as the New Football Federations-Board) was formed in December 2003 and acted as a federation of association football national federations, who were not recognised by FIFA. The board also organised the Viva World Cup, a competition Western Sahara entered once. On 25 March 2012, the then Sahrawi Arab Democratic Republic Minister for Youth and Sports, Mohamed Moulud Mohamed Fade, announced the creation of the Sahrawi national football team, by decision of the own team players, stating that, "The reason behind its absence of the African football competitions is due to its non-membership in the Confederation of African Football." The national team participated in the 2012 Viva World Cup. Due to pressure from Morocco, the hosts of the tournament, Kurdistan didn't display the Sahrawi flag for the competition. The N.F. Board disbanded In January 2013 and it was replaced by the Confederation of Independent Football Associations (ConIFA). Western Sahara joined ConIFA, but the national team hasn't participated in any of the ConIFA World Football Cups organised by the organisation.
- "Western Sahara - ConIFA". Confederation of Independent Football Associations. Retrieved 18 October 2016.
- "F.S.F. History". Sahrawi Football Federation. Retrieved 18 October 2016.
- "Asociaciones N - S (Níger - Somalilandia)" (in Spanish). El AreA. Retrieved 18 October 2016.
- "N.F-Board / History". N.F.-Board. Retrieved 18 October 2016.
- "Viva World Cup". N.F.-Board. Retrieved 18 October 2016.
- "With VIVA World Cup 2012 in Iraq unthinkable dreams come true." (PDF). N.F.-Board. Retrieved 18 October 2016.
- "Establishment of Saharawi national football team (Minister of Youth and Sport)". Sahara Press Service. 25 March 2012. Archived from the original on 26 June 2012. Retrieved 18 October 2016.
- "Non-FIFA World Cups". Rec.Sport.Soccer Statistics Foundation. Retrieved 18 October 2016.
- "Die andere voetbalbond: van de NF-Board naar de ConIFA". Stann Tribune (in Dutch). Retrieved 18 October 2016.
- "Members". ConIFA. Retrieved 18 October 2016.