San Miguel Brewery
This article may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. The specific problem is: too many acronyms and bold formatting make the article difficult to follow (June 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Traded as||PSE: SMB (2008–2013)|
|Predecessor||San Miguel Corporation (1890-2007)|
|Headquarters||40 San Miguel Avenue, Mandaluyong, Metro Manila, Philippines|
|Philippines, Hong Kong, China, Indonesia, Vietnam, Thailand|
Ramon S. Ang (Chairman)|
Roberto N. Huang (President)
|Products||Beer, non-alcoholic beverages|
|PHP 10.042 billion (US$207.2 million) |
|Parent||San Miguel Corporation, Kirin Holdings Co. Ltd.|
|Subsidiaries||San Miguel Brewing International Ltd.|
San Miguel Brewery Inc. (SMB) is a subsidiary of San Miguel Corporation (SMC) and jointly owned with Kirin Holdings Co. Ltd. The company is the Philippines’ largest brewery with a market share of over 95% as of 2008. The company also operates in China and Southeast Asia.
The first San Miguel Brewery, Inc. was founded as La Fábrica de Cerveza San Miguel in 1890 by Enrique María Barreto under a Spanish Royal Charter that officially permitted the brewing of beer in the Philippines and incorporated as the first San Miguel Brewery, Inc. in 1913. It was renamed San Miguel Corporation (SMC) in 1963, having grown into one of the Philippines' largest business conglomerates with core interests in alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages, food, and packaging. The breweries operated as the beer division of SMC until 2007.
The present San Miguel Brewery, Inc. was incorporated on July 26, 2007 as a subsidiary of SMC and the domestic beer business was spun off into San Miguel Brewery, Inc. on October 1, 2007. In 2009, Kirin Holdings Co. Ltd. of Japan acquired 48.3% of San Miguel Brewery, Inc. from SMC for PHP 8.841 per share.
In 2010, San Miguel Brewery, Inc. acquired 100% ownership of San Miguel Brewing International Ltd. (SMBIL) from SMC. The acquisition of SMBIL enabled San Miguel Brewery, Inc. to achieve full integration of its domestic and international beer businesses. SMBIL oversees operations in Hong Kong, People’s Republic of China, Indonesia, Thailand and Vietnam.
On November 6, 2017, SMC announced the consolidation of its beverage businesses into San Miguel Pure Foods Company, Inc. through a share swap deal. San Miguel Pure Foods Company, Inc. will acquire 7.86 billion shares in San Miguel Brewery, Inc. from SMC. As a result, San Miguel Pure Foods Company, Inc. will own 51% of San Miguel Brewery, Inc. After the consolidation, San Miguel Pure Foods Company, Inc. will be renamed San Miguel Food and Beverage, Inc.
Marker from the National Historical Commission of the Philippines
The marker of Fábrica de Cerveza de San Miguel was installed in 1950 at General Solano Street, San Miguel, Manila. It was installed by the Philippines Historical Committee (now National Historical Commission of the Philippines).
|FABRICA DE CERVEZA DE SAN MIGUEL|
|FUNDADA POR D. ENRIQUE MARIA BARRETO DE YCAZA, 4 DE MARZO DE 1890, EN LA CALZADA DE MALACAÑANG, NUM. 6, AHORA AVILES NUM. 132. INAUGURADA, 4 DE OCTUBRE DE 1890. BENEDECIDA POR EL GOB. ECL. D. EUGENIO NETTAR Y APADRINADA POR EL CAPITAN GENERAL D. VALERISMO WEYLER, GENERALES FEDUCHI Y EL MARQUES DE AHUMADA. ADMINISTRADA SUCESIVAMENTE PRO D. ENRIQUE MA. BARRETO HASTA 1893; D. PEDRO F. ROXAS (SOCIO GESTOR), 1893-1896; D. ENRIQUE BRIAS DE COYA, 1896-1903; D. VICENTE FERNANDEZ, 1903-1910; D. ANTONIO R. ROXAS, 1910-1917; D. ANTONIO BRIAS ROXAS, 1917-1945; CORONEL D. ANDRES SORIANO DESDE 1919. EXTENDIO SUS ACTIVIDADES 1919. |
On September 29, 2015, during the 125th anniversary of the founding of San Miguel Brewery, the National Historical Commission of the Philippines installed a historical marker on the San Miguel Headquarters in Mandaluyong City.
|SAN MIGUEL BREWERY, INC.|
|NAGSIMULA BILANG LA FABRICA DE CERVEZA DE SAN MIGUEL SA CALZADA DE MALACANANG (NGAYO’Y DAANG J.P. LAUREL), 4 OKTUBRE 1890; ENRIQUE MARIA BARRETO DE YCASA, TAGAPAGTATAG. ITINALA BILANG KORPORASYON NG SAN MIGUEL BREWERY, 21 AGOSTO 1913. PINALAWIG ANG OPERASYON SA PAGGAWA NG IBA PANG PRODUKTO BUKOD SA SERBESA. PANSAMANTALANG ISINARA NOONG IKALAWANG DIGMAANG PANDAIGDIG, 1942-1945. NAGING SANGAY NG SAN MIGUEL COPORATION, 2007. |
Philippine Stock Exchange (PSE)
San Miguel Brewery, Inc. became listed in the Philippine Stock Exchange (PSE: SMB) on 12 May 2008.
On 2 January 2013, trading of its stock was suspended when the rule on the minimum public ownership of listed shares took effect. On 18 February 2013, the company announced that its board of directors had approved the voluntary de-listing of the company from the stock exchange as well as a tender offer to buy back 94.24 million shares – representing the 0.61% public float. On 24 April 2013, the PSE board granted the petition for voluntary delisting filed by the company to take effect on 15 May 2013.
- San Miguel Pale Pilsen
- San Miguel Premium All-Malt Beer
- San Miguel Super Dry
- San Miguel Flavored Beer (Available flavors: Apple and Lemon)
- San Mig Light
- San Mig Strong Ice (discontinued)
- San Mig Zero
- Cerveza Negra (San Miguel Dark Beer)
- Red Horse Extra Strong Beer
- Gold Eagle Beer
- Cali (non-alcoholic shandy in pineapple)
- Cali Ice (non-alcoholic shandy in apple)
- Cali Light (non-alcoholic shandy in pineapple)
- Blue Ice Beer
SMB operates six breweries in the Philippines:
- Polo Brewery (Metro Manila)
- Santa Rosa Brewery (Laguna)
- San Fernando Brewery (Pampanga)
- Mandaue Brewery (Cebu)
- Bacolod Brewery (Negros Occidental)
- Davao Brewery (Davao del Sur)
San Miguel Brewing International Ltd. (SMBIL) is a wholly owned subsidiary of SMB which operates subsidiaries in the following countries:
- San Miguel Brewery Hong Kong Ltd. (SMBHK)
- San Miguel (Guangdong) Brewery Company Ltd. – subsidiary of SMBHK
- Guangzhou San Miguel Brewery Company Ltd. – subsidiary of SMBHK
- San Miguel Baoding Brewery Company Ltd.
- PT Delta Djakarta Tbk
- San Miguel Brewery Vietnam Ltd.
- San Miguel Beer (Thailand) Ltd.
NOTE: San Miguel Beer is also produced in Nepal through a licensing agreement with Gorkha Brewery since 2004.
- San Miguel Pale Pilsen (San Miguel Beer)
- San Miguel Premium All-Malt
- San Mig Light
- Blue Ice (Hong Kong)
- Bruck (Hong Kong)
- Knight (Hong Kong)
- Polar Ice (Hong Kong)
- Valor (Hong Kong and South China)
- Double Happiness Beer (South China)
- Dragon Beer (South China)
- Blue Star (North China)
- Super Cool (North China)
- W1N Bia (Vietnam)
- Dzo (Vietnam)
- Anker Beer (Indonesia)
- Kudah Putih (Indonesia)
- Sodaku (Indonesia)
- Soda Ice (Indonesia)
Relation with San Miguel Beer (Spain)
As part of its overseas expansion, San Miguel began its foray into the Spanish market in 1953, setting up the company which would later become San Miguel Spain. Since 1946, there has been a company engaged in the production of malt for medicinal purposes known as La Segarra. In the early 1950s, its key shareholders Enrique Suárez Rezona, Ramón Vidal and Jaime Muñiz made contact with Andrés Soriano, then president of San Miguel Brewery, to allow them to produce beer under the San Miguel name in Spain. In 1953, San Miguel Brewery, Inc. signed the “Manila Agreement”, with the Philippine brewer setting up a new Spanish brewery, La Segarra, S.A.. The company would later be renamed San Miguel Fábricas de Cerveza y Malta, S.A. in 1957, an affiliate of San Miguel Brewery, Inc. which initially held 20% equity share via its Hong Kong subsidiary.
The company was acquired by Mahou, S.A. from Groupe Danone in 2000, combining to form Spain’s largest brewer, the Mahou-San Miguel Group. On 26 February 2014, San Miguel and Mahou-San Miguel signed a co-operation agreement to promote jointly San Miguel Beer and expand its global footprint.
- SMB Annual Report 2008
- http://www.sanmiguelbrewery.com.ph/corporate.html Archived June 18, 2009, at the Wayback Machine.
- "ABOUT US - San Miguel Brewery Inc". sanmiguelbrewery.com.ph.
- "Kirin Holdings_Reference_2009.5.22_Kirin Holdings Completes Acquisition of San Miguel Brewery Shares". kirinholdings.co.jp.
- Morales, Neil Jerome (7 November 2017). "San Miguel to consolidate food, beverage units in sale swap". Reuters. Retrieved 7 November 2017.[permanent dead link]
- dela Paz, Chrisee (6 November 2017). "San Miguel to merge food, beverage businesses". Rappler. Retrieved 7 November 2017.
- Dumlao-Abadilla, Doris (7 November 2017). "SMC spins off key units". Inquirer.net. Retrieved 7 November 2017.
- Historical Markers: Metropolitan Manila. National Historical Institute. 1993.
- "NHCP UNVEILED THE "SAN MIGUEL BREWERY INC." HISTORICAL MARKER". nhcp.gov.ph. Archived from the original on 2015-10-06.
- Doris C. Dumlao. "San Miguel Brewery delisting from PSE, sets tender offer at P20 each". inquirer.net.
- "PSE approves San Miguel Brewery delisting on May 15". GMA News Online.
- "It's confirmed: San Miguel Brewery to delist May 15". Rappler.
- Manila Bulletin. "GSM sells non-alcoholic beverage business for P227M". mb.com.ph.
- Doris C. Dumlao. "Ginebra completes sale of non-alcoholic beverage assets to SMB". inquirer.net.
- "SMB acquires Ginebra's non-alcoholic assets". manilastandardtoday.com.
- San Miguel Brewing International Ltd. and Mahou-San Miguel sign a cooperation agreement
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to San Miguel Brewery.|
- San Miguel Pale Pilsen
- San Miguel Beer Delivery
- San Mig Light
- San Miguel Lifestyle Brews
- San Mig Strong Ice
- San Miguel Flavored Beer
- Red Horse Beer
- SMB 7,107 Celebrations (SMB Tourism Website)