|Elevation||4,170 ft (1,270 m)|
|Parent range||White Mountains, Appalachian Mountains|
The Sandwich Range is located in the White Mountains of New Hampshire in the United States, north of the Lakes Region and south of the Kancamagus Highway. Although the range is not outstanding for its elevation, it is very rugged and has excellent views of the surrounding lakes, mountains, and forests.
The Sandwich Range extends east–west about 30 miles (48 km) from Conway, New Hampshire on the Saco River to Campton on the Pemigewasset River. The Kancamagus Highway runs along the north side of the mountains, from Conway to North Woodstock. The highest peak in the range is Mount Tripyramid, with an elevation of 4,170 feet (1,270 m).
The east part of the range drains by various streams into the Saco River and thence into the Atlantic Ocean at Saco, Maine. The west part drains into the East Branch Pemigewasset River and Mad River, thence into the Pemigewasset, Merrimack and into the sea at Newburyport, Massachusetts.
The range's summits include, among others:
- Mount Chocorua 3,490 ft (1,060 m)
- Mount Kancamagus 3,763 ft (1,147 m)
- Mount Passaconaway 4,043 ft (1,232 m) *
- Mount Paugus 3,198 ft (975 m)
- Mount Tripyramid 4,170 ft (1,270 m) *
- Mount Whiteface 4,020 ft (1,230 m) *
- Mount Wonalancet 2,760 ft (840 m)
- Sandwich Mountain 3,993 ft (1,217 m)
- The Sleepers 3,880 ft (1,180 m)
The Sandwich Range Wilderness was established in 1984 to protect the rugged southeastern portion of the White Mountains as part of the National Wilderness Preservation System. The 35,303-acre (142.87 km2) wilderness area is all within the White Mountain National Forest and managed by the U.S. Forest Service. The wilderness area covers (from west to east) Sandwich Mountain, Mount Tripyramid, The Sleepers, Mount Whiteface, Mount Passaconaway, and Mount Paugus. Mount Kancamagus falls outside the wilderness area to the west, and Mount Chocorua is outside it to the east.
- Appalachian Mountain Club, White Mountain Guide, 26th ed. (1998), pp. 313-314
- U.S. Geological Survey 7½-minute topographic maps - Mount Chocorua, Mount Tripyramid, Waterville Valley, Mount Carrigain, and Mount Osceola quadrangles
- Sandwich Range Wilderness - Wilderness Connect
- "White Mountain National Forest Wilderness Areas" (PDF). White Mountain National Forest. USDA Forest Service. Retrieved July 17, 2020.