|Elevation||3,268 ft (996 m)|
|Prominence||1,748 ft (533 m)|
|Location||Carroll County, New Hampshire, U.S.|
|Parent range||White Mountains|
|Topo map||USGS North Conway East|
|Easiest route||Hike Kearsarge North Trail from Hurricane Mtn Road.|
Kearsarge North is a mountain located about 4 miles (6 km) northeast of North Conway, Carroll County, New Hampshire. The U.S. Board on Geographic Names accepted the name "Pequawket Mountain" in 1915 but it was renamed Kearsarge North in 1957. The Pequawket are a subdivision of the Abenaki people who formerly lived in the area. It is sometimes referred to as Mount Kearsarge, a name officially assigned to a mountain in Merrimack County.
There are two hiking routes up Kearsarge. The first, and most popular, is the 3.1-mile (5.0 km) Mount Kearsarge North Trail, which ascends 2,600 feet (790 m) from the North Conway side of Hurricane Mountain Road, near Intervale. The Weeks Brook Trail, a much less-used 4.7-mile (7.6 km) route, approaches Kearsarge from the east, from a trailhead on Forest Road 317 in Chatham.
An inn was built on the summit, only to be twice destroyed by storms. In 1909, the Appalachian Mountain Club granted the New Hampshire Forestry Commission use of the destroyed hotel for a fire lookout.
Pequawket Fire Tower
The Pequawket Fire Tower was built in 1913 and staffed by the state and the US Forest Service until 1960. In 1991, the fire tower was added to the National Historic Lookout Register, and is open to visitors to the summit of Kearsarge North.
- "Kearsarge North, New Hampshire". Peakbagger.com. Retrieved 2013-01-31.
- "Kearsarge North". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey. Retrieved 2013-01-31.
- Daniell, Gene; Smith, Steven D. (2003). White Mountain Guide (27th ed.). Appalachian Mountain Club Books. ISBN 9781929173228.
- Baird, Iris W.; Haartz, Chris (1992). NH Lookout Towers - A Short History. Third Annual Conference of the Forest Fire Lookout Association. Retrieved 2013-01-31.
- "Pequawket Fire Tower". National Historic Lookout Register. Archived from the original on 2013-04-15. Retrieved 2013-01-31.