Sandy Valley, Nevada
|Sandy Valley, Nevada|
Location of Sandy Valley in Clark County, Nevada
|• Total||56.0 sq mi (145.1 km2)|
|• Land||56.0 sq mi (145.1 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||2,641 ft (805 m)|
|• Density||36.6/sq mi (14.1/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-8 (PST)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-7 (PDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||0854717|
Sandy Valley is an unincorporated community in the Mesquite Valley in west-central Clark County, Nevada, United States. Sandy Valley has a variant name of Sandy, Nevada. The population was 2,051 at the 2010 census. Sandy Valley is bordered on the East by the southern extension of the Spring Mountains and on the west by the California state line. Sandy Valley began in the 19th century as the five mining communities of Kingston, Sandy, Ripley, Mesquite, and Platina. It is roughly a forty-five mile drive from Las Vegas.
Sandy Valley is located at (35.828999, -115.651943).
According to the United States Census Bureau, Sandy Valley has a total area of 56.0 square miles (145 km2), all of it land.
As of the census of 2010, there were 2,051 people and 1,024 households in the census-designated place (CDP) of Sandy Valley. The population density was 32.2 people per square mile (12.4/km²). There were 811 housing units at an average density of 14.5 per square mile (5.6/km²). The racial makeup of the CDP was 92.57% White, 1.39% African American, 0.61% Native American, 0.72% Asian, 0.06% Pacific Islander, 2.72% from other races, and 1.94% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 6.49% of the population.
There were 714 households out of which 26.2% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 54.1% were married couples living together, 7.3% had a female householder with no husband present, and 33.2% were non-families. 23.8% of all households were made up of individuals and 7.8% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.53 and the average family size was 3.03.
In the CDP, the population was spread out with 25.1% under the age of 18, 4.0% from 18 to 24, 25.3% from 25 to 44, 33.8% from 45 to 64, and 11.9% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 43 years. For every 100 females, there were 101.3 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 106.4 males.
The median income for a household in the CDP was $43,663, and the median income for a family was $46,389. Males had a median income of $37,000 versus $26,074 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $17,439. About 9.0% of families and 14.9% of the population were below the poverty line, including 22.7% of those under age 18 and 8.7% of those age 65 or over.
Clark County School District serves Sandy Valley.
- Bo Gritz, former U.S. Army soldier and political activist, formerly lived in Sandy Valley
- Sandy Valley Citizens Advisory Council Archived 2015-09-05 at the Wayback Machine.
- US Geological Survey, National Geographic Names Database.
- US Department of Transportation, Federal Aviation Administration, Special Federal Aviation Regulations, SFAR number 61 to Part 91, Section 2.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Clark County, Nevada planning study, (PDF file, 16KB) Archived 2008-10-11 at the Wayback Machine.
- Clark County, Nevada planning study, (PDF file, 16KB).
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2008-09-26. Retrieved 2008-09-28.
- "2008-09 Middle School - Northern Attendance Boundaries Archived 2011-09-30 at the Wayback Machine.." Clark County School District. Accessed September 28, 2008.
- "2008-09 High School - Southern Attendance Boundaries Archived 2011-09-30 at the Wayback Machine.." Clark County School District. Accessed September 28, 2008.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sandy Valley, Nevada.|