Santiago, Ilocos Sur
A beach in Ambucao
Map of Ilocos Sur showing the location of Santiago
|Region||Ilocos (Region I)|
|• Mayor||Josefino E. Miranda|
|• Total||46.36 km2 (17.90 sq mi)|
|Population (2015 census)|
|• Density||400/km2 (1,000/sq mi)|
|Time zone||PST (UTC+8)|
|IDD : area code||+63 (0)77|
|Income class||4th class|
Santiago is the headquarters of the Ilocos Sur Electric Cooperative (ISECO), which distributes electricity to the entire province.
- San Jose (Baraoas)
- Olo-olo Norte
- Olo-olo Sur
- Poblacion Norte
- Poblacion Sur
- San Roque
Before the Spanish Conquest of the Philippines, Moro raiders were in control, so one of the tasks of the Spanish was to pacify and clear the country of these pirates. Coastal communities (Northern Luzon, and, thus, Ilocos) were prone to piratical attacks. For these, watchtowers were erected all over the Ilocos coast.
The Spanish started patrols of sea lanes, stopping these pirates for a while, only for them to resurface in 1772. But in the place now known as Santiago, as the Spanish engaged the pirates, all church bells ringing and trumpets sounded (to signal their attacks), the Augustinians stationed in the place held a statue of Santiago (Saint James) facing the sea and with many natives praying the rosary for safety and victory. The Moros fled, never to return, thus sparing the pueblo. The place was since then named Santiago.
It was once a visita of Narvacan due to the lack of ministers at the time.
|Population census of Santiago|
|Source: Philippine Statistics Authority|
In the 2015 census, the population of Santiago, Ilocos Sur, was 18,759 people, with a density of 400 inhabitants per square kilometre or 1,000 inhabitants per square mile.
- "Official City/Municipal 2013 Election Results". Intramuros, Manila, Philippines: Commission on Elections (COMELEC). 1 July 2013. Retrieved 20 September 2013.
- "Province: Ilocos Sur". PSGC Interactive. Quezon City, Philippines: Philippine Statistics Authority. Retrieved 12 November 2016.
- "Region I (Ilocos Region)". Census of Population (2015): Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay (Report). PSA. Retrieved 20 June 2016.
- "Sunrise at Santiago". Retrieved 14 January 2008.
- "Region I (Ilocos Region)". Census of Population and Housing (2010): Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay (Report). NSO. Retrieved 29 June 2016.
- "Province of Ilocos Sur". Municipality Population Data. LWUA Research Division. Retrieved 20 September 2013.
- Pasyalang Ilocos Sur
- Philippine Standard Geographic Code
- Philippine Census Information
- Local Governance Performance Management System
|South China Sea||Lidlidda|