|Designer(s)||Eric Gandelin (Chief Designer)|
|Suspension (front)||Upper and lower wishbones, inboard springs and dampers activated by pushrods|
|Suspension (rear)||Upper and lower wishbones, inboard springs and dampers activated by pullrods|
|Engine||Ferrari 059/3 1.6 L (98 cu in) V6, turbo|
|Transmission||Ferrari 8-speed gearbox quick-shift carbon gearbox, longitudinally mounted, carbon-fibre clutch|
|Weight||691 kg (1,523.4 lb)|
|Tyres||Pirelli P Zero (dry), Cinturato (wet)|
|Notable entrants||Sauber F1 Team|
|Notable drivers||21. Esteban Gutiérrez
99. Adrian Sutil
|Debut||2014 Australian Grand Prix|
The Sauber C33 is a Formula One racing car designed by Sauber to compete in the 2014 Formula One season. It was driven by Esteban Gutiérrez and Adrian Sutil, who joined the team after Nico Hülkenberg returned to Force India. The C33 was designed to use Ferrari's new 1.6-litre V6 turbocharged engine, the 059/3.
The car was plagued by weight issues early in the season, to the point that, to compensate for this, a tall Sutil (who, relatively speaking, was one of the heaviest drivers in the field) did not eat for two days in a desperate attempt to remain competitive.
Ultimately, the C33 had the unfortunate distinction of being the least competitive Sauber ever built, as Sauber failed to score points for the first time in their history in 2014. In addition, due to the financial status of the team, both drivers were dropped at the end of the season to make way for a new line up of Marcus Ericsson and Felipe Nasr.
Complete Formula One results
|2014||Sauber F1 Team||Ferrari 059/3||P||AUS||MAL||BHR||CHN||ESP||MON||CAN||AUT||GBR||GER||HUN||BEL||ITA||SIN||JPN||RUS||USA||BRA||ABU‡||0||10th|
† — Driver failed to finish the race, but was classified as they had completed greater than 90% of the race distance.
‡ — Teams and drivers scored double points at the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix.
- "Sauber C33 - F1technical.net".
- "Presentation of the new Ferrari power unit". ferrari.com. Scuderia Ferrari. 20 December 2013. Retrieved 20 December 2013.
- Straw, Edd (21 December 2013). "Sauber confirms Esteban Gutierrez will race for the team in 2014". Autosport. Haymarket Publications. Retrieved 21 December 2013.
Esteban Gutierrez will remain with Sauber for a second season in 2014, the team has announced.
- "Adrian Sutil moves to Sauber for 2014 Formula 1 season". autosport.com. Haymarket Publications. 13 December 2013. Retrieved 13 December 2013.
- "Sauber C33 passes crash tests". ESPN F1. 11 December 2013. Retrieved 11 December 2013.
- Galloway, James (4 October 2013). "Sauber extend long-standing Ferrari engine partnership into 2014 and beyond". Sky Sports F1. British Sky Broadcasting Group plc. Retrieved 4 October 2013.
- Wise, Mike (9 May 2014). "Adrian Sutil went without food for two days to try and lose weight for new season". Sky Sports. BSkyB. Retrieved 12 November 2014.
- Duncan, Phil (9 May 2014). "Adrian Sutil did not eat for two days in drastic bid to meet F1 weight rules". Daily Mail. DMG Media. Retrieved 12 November 2014.