|Duration (tropical, western)||October 23 – November 22 (2018, UT1)|
|Sign ruler||Mars (ancient), Pluto (modern)|
|Detriment||Venus (ancient), Earth (modern)|
|Fall||Moon, Sun (questionable)|
New millennium astrological chart
Scorpio is the eighth astrological sign in the Zodiac, originating from the constellation of Scorpius. It spans 210°–240° ecliptic longitude. Under the tropical zodiac (most commonly used in Western astrology), the Sun transits this area on average from November 23 to November 29. Under the sidereal zodiac (most commonly used in Hindu astrology), the Sun is in Scorpio from approximately November 16 to December 15. Depending on which zodiac system one uses, an individual born under the influence of Scorpio may be called a Scorpio or a Scorpion.
Scorpio is one of the zodiac water signs, the others being Cancer and Pisces. It is a fixed, negative sign. In ancient times, Scorpio was associated with the planet Mars. After Pluto was discovered in 1930, it became associated with Scorpio instead. Scorpio is associated with three different animals: the scorpion, the snake, and the eagle (or phoenix). The snake and eagle are related to the nearby constellations of Ophiuchus and Aquila. Scorpio is also associated with the Greek deity Artemis, who is said to have created the constellation Scorpius. Scorpio's colours are deep red, maroon, brown, and black.
- Astronomical Applications Department (2011). Multiyear Computer Interactive Almanac. 2.2.2. Washington DC: US Naval Observatory. Longitude of Sun, apparent geocentric ecliptic of date, interpolated to find time of crossing 0°, 30°....
- Aubin, Ada; Rifkin, June (1998). The Complete Book of Astrology. New York: St. Martin's Griffin. ISBN 0312180705.
- Hall, Judy (2005). The Astrology Bible: The Definitive Guide to the Zodiac. New York: Sterling. ISBN 1402727593.
- Lewis, James R. (2003). The Astrology Book: The Encyclopedia of Heavenly Influences (2nd ed.). Detroit: Visible Ink Press. ISBN 1578591449.
- Oxford Dictionaries. n.d. Retrieved May 4, 2018.
- Sharma, Sanjay (2016). "Scorpio Horoscope Vrischika Rashi - All About Scorpio Astrology". Astrology-Prophets.com. Retrieved March 24, 2018.
- Media related to Scorpio at Wikimedia Commons
- Warburg Institute Iconographic Database (over 300 medieval and early modern images of Scorpio)