Sethurama Iyer CBI
|Sethurama Iyer CBI|
|Directed by||K Madhu|
|Produced by||K Madhu|
|Written by||S N Swami|
|Distributed by||Krishnakripa Films|
The movie begins with Sethurama Iyer Mammooty visiting Isow Alex (Kalabhavan Mani), a convicted serial killer who is awaiting his execution. Alex was arrested and convicted for the cold-blooded murder of seven people in two different families. Alex, who had been living a wild life then, had committed the crime high on narcotic drugs. The murder case was left to the CBI for investigation and an able officer, played by Siddique, nabbed Alex in no time. Alex is now a new man, mainly due to the influence of a priest (Gopi), who requests Iyer to visit Alex.
What Alex tells Iyer is startling; he didn't commit one of the seven murders he was convicted for. The murder was that of Manikkunju, a businessman. Manikkunju, along with his daughter-in-law Mosi, was murdered at his house. Alex tells this all the same confessing that he murdered Mosi. The possibility of another killer involved is very remote and Alex is a serial killer who thoroughly denied any hand in the murders when he was arrested, but yet Iyer decides to reopen the case and investigate. He faces many odds; to prove Alex right would be proving his own bureau wrong and to prove Alex wrong would be wasting time and money.
It was later revealed that Mani had an affair with Mosi and they were caught in a compromising position by Manikkunju. Since Mani was married he did not wish his affair to be leaked and hence he murdered Manikkunju.
- Mammootty as Sethurama Iyer
- Mukesh as Chacko
- Jagathy Sreekumar as Vikram
- Vineeth Kumar as Ganesh (Young CBI officer)
- Geetha Vijayan as Mosi
- Kalabhavan Mani as Isow Alex
- Navya Nair as Rachana, Sethurama Iyer's niece
- Nandana as Resmi, Sethurama Iyer's niece
- Kunchan as Krishna Iyer
- Urmila Unni as Meenakshi Iyer
- Paravoor Ramachandran as Zachariah (Manikunju)
- Poornima Anand as Dr. Vijayalakshmi (Police Surgen)
- Sai Kumar as DSP Satyadas
- Jagadish as Mani, a tailor
- Kalpana as Vijayamma Mani
- Mala Aravindan as Mathai
- Bharath Gopi as Fr. Gomez
- Siddique as Balagopal IRS CBI officer
- Oduvil Unnikrishnan as Adiyodi
- Janardhanan as Ouseppachan
- Sreenath as Sunny
- Rajan P.Dev as Baahuleyan
- Adoor Bhavani as the maid of Ouseppachan (reprising the character which she played in Oru CBI Dairy Kurippu)
- Shammi Thilakan as Crime Branch CI
- Subair as Sharngadaran
- Originally, the CBI officer in the film Oru CBI Diary Kurippu was supposed to be a rough-and-tough cop named Ali Imran. It was Mammootty who suggested that a simple-looking brahmin who uses his brains more than his brawn would be a better idea.
- The storyline of an accused serial killer confessing that he didn't commit one of the crimes is strikingly similar to the plot of the novel Detective (novel) by Arthur Hailey
- Pillai, Sreedhar (22 July 2005). "I want to play lead roles". Friday Review: Stories. The Hindu.
- "Never Say Never Again". Old Story. Indian Express. 3 July 2005.
- ""Investigation stories are universal" : Mammootty". Moviebuzz. Sify Movies.
- "Malayalam cinema- Analysis 2004!". Sify. 1 January 2005.
- "Year 2004 — a flashback". The Hindu. 31 December 2004.
- "Film reels start rolling". The Hindu. 7 July 2004.