|Developer(s)||Atari Inc./Horror Games|
|Distributor(s)||Atari Inc./Horror Games|
|Release||North America February, 1975|
|Sound||Amplified Mono (one channel)|
|Display||Horizontal orientation, raster (black and white) with color overlay, Standard Resolution.|
Shark Jaws is a single-player arcade game by Atari Inc. under the name of Horror Games, originally released in 1975. An unlicensed tie-in to the movie Jaws, and believed to be the first commercially released movie tie-in, it was created to do a game about sharks eating people. Atari head Nolan Bushnell originally tried to license the Jaws name for the game, but was unable to secure a license from Universal Pictures. Deciding to go ahead with the game anyway, it was retitled Shark JAWS, with the word Shark in tiny print and JAWS in large all caps print to create greater prominence. Bushnell also created a second hidden subsidiary corporation, Horror Games—the previous being Kee Games, to help isolate Atari from possible lawsuit. According to Bushnell, the game was successful enough to sell approximately two thousand units.
The game is housed in a custom cabinet that includes a single joystick and start button. The cabinet bezel uses blue and green colors, and portrays sharks swimming around along with a solitary swimmer. The game PCB is composed of discrete technology, and although the game was released under Horror Games the PCB clearly states Atari.
- (Montfort & Bogost 2009, p. 125)
- Fulton, Steve (2007-11-06). "The History of Atari:1971-1977; 1975: Innovate Or Die". Gamasutra. Retrieved 2008-01-25.
- Bogost, Ian (2007-11-13). "Film Adaptation: The First Film License". Kotaku. Archived from the original on 2012-08-29. Retrieved 2008-01-25.
- "Shark JAWS Videogame by Atari (1975)". Retrieved 2008-01-04.
- Welburn, Andy. "Andy's Arcade Bronzeage Info Resource". Andys-Arcade. Retrieved 2008-01-25.
- Montfort, Nick; Bogost, Ian (2009). Riding the Beam: The Atari Video Computer System. MIT Press. ISBN 978-0-262-01257-7.
- Operation,Maintenance, Service Manual: Shark Jaws (PDF). Los Gatos, CA: Horror Games (Atari). 1975.
- MrF4brice (2010-05-13). "Atari Shark Jaws arcade cabinet (1975)". YouTube. YouTube video of a restored Atari Shark Jaws cabinet being tested.
- "Shark Jaws - The Horror of IP Infringement". The Dot Eaters.com. 2014.
|This Atari-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This arcade game-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|