Shire of Croydon
|Shire of Croydon
Location within Queensland
|• Density||0.009230/km2 (0.02391/sq mi)|
|Area||29,577.8 km2 (11,420.1 sq mi)|
|Region||Far North Queensland|
|State electorate(s)||Mount Isa|
|Website||Shire of Croydon|
The Shire of Croydon is a local government area in western Queensland, Australia. The shire, administered from the town of Croydon, covers an area of 29,577.8 square kilometres (11,420.1 sq mi). The council consists of a mayor plus four councillors, each of whom represents the entire Shire.
The area was originally settled as part of a gold rush in the 1880s, and at one time had a population of 7,000. The Croydon Division was created on 31 December 1887 under the Divisional Boards Act 1887.
With the passage of the Local Authorities Act 1902, the Croydon Division became the Shire of Croydon 31 March 1903.
Croydon, like many western local government areas, was not affected by amalgamations in 2007–2008, mainly because of the large geographical size and remoteness of the shire. Despite being rated as "weak" by the Financial Sustainability Review, analysis by the Local Government Commissioners revealed this to be due to factors upon which amalgamation would have no effect.
Towns and localities
Chairmen and mayors
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (31 March 2011). "Regional Population Growth, Australia, 2009–10". Retrieved 11 June 2011.
- "Agency ID6073, CroydonShire Council". Queensland State Archives. Retrieved 15 January 2014.
- "Order in Council". Queensland Government Gazette. 19 December 1908. p. 91:1196.
- Consolidated Index to Queensland Government Gazette 1859-1919. Queensland Family History Society. 2004. ISBN 1 876613 79 3.
- Pugh, Theophilus Parsons (1927). Pugh's Almanac for 1927. Retrieved 13 June 2014.
- "2008 Croydon Shire – Mayoral Election – Election Summary". Electoral Commission Queensland. Electoral Commission of Queensland. Retrieved 15 June 2014.
- "Councillor Profiles". Croydon Shire Council. Croydon Shire Council. Archived from the original on 15 June 2014. Retrieved 15 June 2014.
- Croydon Shire Council (official site)
- University of Queensland: Queensland Places: Croydon and Croydon Shire
- Croydon's listing on Queensland LG database