Skerne, East Riding of Yorkshire
|Skerne shown within the East Riding of Yorkshire|
|OS grid reference|
|• London||170 mi (270 km) S|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|EU Parliament||Yorkshire and the Humber|
Skerne is a village in the East Riding of Yorkshire, England. It forms part of the civil parish of Skerne and Wansford. The village is situated 1 mile (1.6 km) to the south of the River Hull and the Driffield Canal. It is approximately 2 miles (3 km) south-east from Driffield and 2 miles north-east from Hutton Cranswick.
Skerne Grade I listed Anglican church is dedicated to St Leonard. The church is substantially Norman, particularly the nave, chancel and south doorway. The north aisle is 13th-century. The Perpendicular tower is ashlar faced. Three interior effigies, possibly, according to Pevsner, 12th- or 13th-century, are opposite the church door: a cross-legged knight holding a small shield, a woman shown within a quatrefoil, and between these a baby.
Skerne public house, The Eagle, closed in 2004. It was one of only 11 left in the UK without a bar counter, and served beer through a set of cash register handpulls. Prior to that beer was drawn directly from the barrels in the cellar and brought up in enamel jugs  Planning permission was granted in 2011 for conversion to residential usage. The Eagle is Grade II listed by Historic England.
- Historic England. "Church of St Leonard (1084138)". National Heritage List for England. Retrieved 4 December 2011.
- Pevsner, Nikolaus; The Buildings of England. Yorkshire: York and the East Riding pp. 339, 340; Penguin (1972); reprinted 1975, Pevsner Architectural Guides. ISBN 0-14-071043-4
- Baines, Edward (1823). History, Directory & Gazetteer of the County of York. p. 388. ISBN 1230139141.
- "Objectors swoop on pub to house plan". Driffield Times & Post. 31 August 2011. Retrieved 17 April 2012.
- personal recollection from 1980
- "Green light for pub conversion". Driffield Times & Post. 10 September 2011. Retrieved 17 April 2012.
- Historic England. "The Eagle (1391423)". National Heritage List for England. Retrieved 18 June 2015.
- Gazetteer — A–Z of Towns Villages and Hamlets. East Riding of Yorkshire Council. 2006. p. 10.
Media related to Skerne at Wikimedia Commons
- "Skerne: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1892." (Bulmers'), Genuki.org.uk. Retrieved 16 April 2012
- Skerne in the Domesday Book