This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Princess of Thailand|
The Princess in Norway on 31 July 2010
13 July 1957 |
Guy's Hospital, London, England, United Kingdom
|Spouse||Vajiralongkorn (Rama X)
(m. 1977; div. 1991)
|House||Kitiyakara family (by birth)
Mahidol (by marriage)
|Mother||Princess Bandhu Savali Yugala|
Princess Soamsawali (Thai: โสมสวลี; Thai pronunciation: [sǒːm.sà(ʔ).wá(ʔ).liː]; rtgs: Somsawali), born Mom Luang Soamsawali Kitiyakara (Thai: โสมสวลี กิติยากร; rtgs: Somsawali Kitiyakon; on 13 July 1957), is a member of the Thai royal family, and is the former wife of her first cousin King Vajiralongkorn. She was titled "the Princess Mother of the King's First Grandchild" after her divorce with the then crown prince in 1991. She is also a niece of Queen Sirikit.
Princess Soamsawali was born on 13 July 1957 at Guy's Hospital in London, United Kingdom. She is the eldest child of Mom Rajawongse Adulyakit Kitiyakara. Her father was an elder brother of Queen Sirikit of Thailand and her mother is Thanpuying Bandhu Savali Kitiyakara (born Princess Bandhu Savali Yugala). She has one younger sister, Mom Luang Sarali Kitiyakara, born 8 April 1966.
Her father was the second child of Prince Nakkhatra Mangkala Kitiyakara, the Prince of Chanthaburi II and Mom Luang Bua Snidvongs. Her mother was the daughter of Prince Bhanubandhu Yugala and Mom Luang Soiraya Snidvongs.
She first attended the primary level at Chitralada School, then moved to Chiang Mai with her father when he was a judge at the Chiang Mai Court. She moved to study at Regina Coeli College, the all-girls academy in Chiang Mai in 1967.
On 3 January 1977, at the age of 19, she married her first cousin, Maha Vajiralongkorn, the only son of King Bhumibol Adulyadej. After their marriage, her official title became Her Royal Highness Princess Soamsawali, Royal Consort of His Royal Highness Crown Prince Maha Vajiralongkorn of Thailand (Thai: พระเจ้าวรวงศ์เธอ พระองค์เจ้าโสมสวลี พระวรชายาในสมเด็จพระบรมโอรสาธิราชฯ สยามมกุฎราชกุมาร). The couple had one daughter, Princess Bajrakitiyabha of Thailand, born on 7 December 1978. The marriage ended in divorce in 1991 for numerous irreconcilable differences.
The princess niece
After her divorce from the crown prince, the king, by royal proclamation, gave her a new title on 12 August 1991. Her official full title became Phravararajatinuddamat (Thai: พระวรราชาทินัดดามาตุ), meaning the mother of the king's first grandchild (translated into English as The Princess Mother of the King's First Grandchild).
Since her divorce, Princess Soamsawali has performed many functions on behalf of the royal household. She has shown keen interest in public health and social welfare. The following Thai Red Cross Society programs are under her patronage:
- The "Reducing AIDS Infection from Mother to New-Born Baby" Programme.
- Medical Funding for AIDS patients.
- Funding for Reducing AIDS infection from Mother to the New-Born Baby.
- Milk funds for infants under the "Reduce AIDS effects from Mother to the New-Born Baby" Program.
- The Foundation of Professor Dr. Mom Rajawongse Galyanakit Kitiyakara.
- The Program of Life Giving to the Parents of AIDS-infected Babies.
- Funds for Cancer Treatment in Children
- The Princess Pa Foundation
Titles, styles and honours
Princess Soamsawali of Thailand
|Reference style||Her Royal Highness|
|Spoken style||Your Royal Highness|
Her titles since her birth to present:
- Mom Luang Soamsawali Kitiyakara (13 July 1957 – 3 January 1977)
- Mom Luang Soamsawali Mahidol (3 January 1977)
- Her Royal Highness Princess Soamsawali, Consort of the Crown Prince (3 January 1977 – 12 August 1991)
- Her Royal Highness Princess Soamsawali (12 August 1991 – present)
- Dame of the Most Illustrious Order of the Royal House of Chakri
- Dame Grand Cross (First Class) of The Most Illustrious Order of Chula Chom Klao
- Dame Grand Cordon (Special Class) of The Most Exalted Order of the White Elephant
- Dame Grand Cordon (Special Class) of The Most Noble Order of the Crown of Thailand
- Dame Grand Cross (First Class) of The Most Admirable Order of the Direkgunabhorn
- The Order of Symbolic Propitiousness Ramkeerati (Special Class) - Boy Scout Citation Medal
- King Rama IX Royal Cypher Medal (First Class)
- Dame Grand Cross of the Royal Order of Isabella the Catholic (Kingdom of Spain, 13 November 1987).
- Member First Class of the Order of the Sacred Treasure (Empire of Japan, 1991).
- Dame Grand Cross of the Order of Orange-Nassau (Kingdom of Netherlands, 19 January 2004).
|Ancestors of Soamsawali|
- พระเจ้าวรวงศ์เธอ พระองค์เจ้าโสมสวลี พระวรราชาทินัดดามาตุ ทรงเปิดงานวันแม่ ประจำปีการศึกษา 2552 Archived 11 September 2011 at the Wayback Machine.
- พระบาทสมเด็จพระเจ้าอยู่หัว ทรงพระกรุณาโปรดเกล้าโปรดกระหม่อมบำเพ็ญพระราชกุศลพระราชทาน เนื่องในโอกาสวันคล้ายวันประสูติ พระเจ้าวรวงศ์เธอ พระองค์เจ้าโสมสวลี พระวรราชาทินัดดามาตุ
- Catholic News
- Boletín Oficial del Estado
- Getty Images
SoamsawaliBorn: 13 July 1957
|Order of precedence|
Princess Ubolratana Rajakanya
|The Princess Mother
of the King's First Child