The new Somerville station with high-level platform in construction during May 2011.
|Location||100 South Bridge Street,
Somerville, New Jersey
|Owned by||New Jersey Transit|
|Platforms||2 side platforms|
|Connections||NJT Bus: 65, 114|
|Rebuilt||November 1856, May 1867, 1890|
|Passengers (2012)||677 (average weekday)|
Somerville is a New Jersey Transit railroad station on the Raritan Valley Line, in Somerville, New Jersey, south of the town center. The historical station building on the north side of the tracks has been restored and now is used by a law firm. Parking lots are located to the south of the station and there is a tunnel there to access the platforms. Like many of the stations on the Raritan Valley Line, Somerville was not a wheelchair accessible station until December 7, 2010.
In 2004, the station's parking lot was expanded, toward the two railroad tracks, from the south side, to include parking for another 68 cars. These spaces are no longer available as a construction project is in progress.
At some point, the stationhouse and the train tracks were on the same level. An historical photo of the Somerville station with the tracks in front of it can be seen in the Arcadia Publishing historical photo book Somerset County in Postcards, by Alan A. Siegel, Somerset County Historical Society (ISBN 0-7385-0078-X). In 2009, a reconstruction project began at the station to install high-level platforms and make the station handicap accessible. This project includes new ramps, renovations to the existing tunnel, rehabilitation of the existing freight elevator shafts, a new tunnel headhouse, and demolition of the two existing waiting rooms. It was announced on December 1, 2010 that the high level platforms will open on Tuesday, December 7, 2010 to allow for demolition of the low level platforms and continued platform construction. The historic station depot is being kept.
Starting January 12, 2015, NJ Transit Raritan Valley Line had started mid-town direct service between New York City and Somerville and its surrounding area.
|■ Raritan Valley Line||toward High Bridge (Raritan)|
|■ Raritan Valley Line||toward Hoboken or New York (Bridgewater)|
- "Raritan Valley Line Timetables" (PDF). Newark, New Jersey: New Jersey Transit Rail Operations. November 7, 2010. Retrieved November 27, 2010.
- Bernhart, Benjamin L. (2004). Historic Journeys By Rail: Central Railroad of New Jersey Stations, Structures & Marine Equipment. Outer Station Project. p. 65. ISBN 1891402072.
- "QUARTERLY RIDERSHIP TRENDS ANALYSIS". New Jersey Transit. Archived from the original (PDF) on December 27, 2012. Retrieved December 31, 2012.
- "Somerville Station: New High-Level Platforms Open Tuesday, December 7". Newark, New Jersey: New Jersey Transit Rail Operations. December 2010. Retrieved 7 December 2010.
- "NJ Transit Begins Reconstruction of Somerville Station" (Press release). New Jersey Transit. 2009-03-27. Retrieved 2010-02-14.
Media related to Somerville (NJT station) at Wikimedia Commons