|Privately held company|
|Founded||London, England, UK (2001)|
|Headquarters||London Borough of Hackney, UK|
Square Pie is a British food retail chain based in Hackney, east London, which specialises in handmade pies. It was founded in 2001 by Martin Dewey, with the first outlet, "The Square Pie Company", being opened in Spitalfields Market in November of that year. After the success of this shop, and expanding sales by supplying London venues such as The Social and The Lock Tavern and running a stall at Glastonbury, Square Pie opened a concession in Selfridges food hall in London in 2003. A third outlet was opened at Canary Wharf in June 2004 to be followed by sites at The Brunswick Centre in Russell Square, Heathrow Terminal 1, Lord's Cricket Ground and Twickenham.
In 2007, Sainsbury's launched a Square Pie range across 71 of its stores. As with those produced for Square Pies' outlets, the pies in this "Take Me Home and Bake Me" range are handmade, using only natural ingredients, with "clean and simple" packaging designed to reflect Square Pie's image as an "honest British food brand" – Square Pie outlets similarly use brown-board boxes as food containers.
Among the over 116 different types of pies the company made between 2001 and 2006, Square Pie has produced tie-ins to sports championships, making a "humble pie" – kangaroo meat, red onion, field mushroom and Merlot – to mark Australia's loss at the 2003 Rugby World Cup, and running a "Pie World Cup" during the 2006 FIFA World Cup (won by the Senegalese Chicken Yasser). It also launched a pie branded with the London 2012 logo in 2004, in support of London's (successful) bid to host the Olympic Games in 2012.
- "Pie squared". Telegraph. Telegraph Media Group. 2003-11-29. Retrieved 2008-07-20.
- Altman, Daniel (2006-01-10). "A trendy taste:the new savory pie". International Herald Tribune. The New York Times Company. Retrieved 2008-07-20.
- "Square Pie, oval balls and a round of crow". Caterer & Hotelkeeper. Reed Business Information. 2003-12-11. Retrieved 2008-07-20.
- "Square Pie hits Canary Wharf". Caterer & Hotelkeeper. Reed Business Information. 2004-06-17. Retrieved 2008-07-20.
- "Square Pie range launched in 71 Sainsbury's stores". Talking Retail. Nexus Business Media. 2007-04-23. Retrieved 2008-07-20.
- "Sainsbury's strike new deal with pie manufacturer". MeatInfo.co.uk. William Reed Business Media. 2007-04-13. Retrieved 2008-07-20.
- Sandison, Nikki (2007-06-25). "Pearlfisher creates supermarket identity for Square Pie". Brand Republic. Haymarket Media. Retrieved 2008-07-20.
- "The History of Square Pie". Square Pie. Square Pie. 2006. Retrieved 2008-07-20.
- "June 12–16, 2006:". MediaGuardian. Guardian News and Media. 2006-06-19. Retrieved 2008-07-20.
- "Square Pie World Cup". Square Pie. Square Pie. 2006. Retrieved 2008-07-20.
- "East End business' recipe for success". London 2012. The London Organising Committee of the Olympic Games and Paralympic Games. 2004-10-11. Archived from the original on 2008-01-08. Retrieved 2008-07-20.