Fictional character biography
The round-headed, sailor-hatted Squiddly (who resembles an octopus—albeit with only six tentacles—rather than a squid) is kept captive in an aquatic park known as Bubbleland and resides in a pool with his name on it. Squiddly Diddly is an aspiring musician who makes many attempts to escape and attain musical stardom, but he is constantly foiled by Bubbleland's administrator Chief Winchley. In some episodes, Squiddly Diddly manages to escape, but chooses to return to Bubbleland after finding the outside world to be too harsh. Other times Squiddly and Chief Winchley would have to work together to solve problems in Bubbleland. The cartoons show people applauding Squiddly Diddly's musical talents, but often depict terrified people who mistakenly believe that octopuses are hostile.
List of episodes
Season 1 (1965–66)
|Nº||Ep||Title||Original air date|
|1||1||"Way Out Squiddly"||October 2, 1965|
|Two aliens kidnap Squiddly and take him for a wild ride in their spaceship.|
|2||2||"Show Biz Squid"||October 9, 1965|
|3||3||"The Canvas Back Squid"||October 16, 1965|
|4||4||"Nervous Service"||October 23, 1965|
|5||5||"Westward Ha!"||October 30, 1965|
|6||6||"Sea Grunt"||November 6, 1965|
|7||7||"Chief Cook and Bottle Washer"||November 13, 1965|
|8||8||"Squid on the Skids"||November 20, 1965|
|9||9||"Double Trouble"||November 27, 1965|
|10||10||"Squid Kid"||December 4, 1965|
|11||11||"Booty and the Beast"||December 11, 1965|
|12||12||"Clowning Around"||December 18, 1965|
|13||13||"Surprise Prize"||December 25, 1965|
|14||14||"Naughty Astronaut"||January 1, 1966|
|15||15||"The Ghost Is Clear"||January 8, 1966|
|Squiddly Diddly babysits a young ghost named Wilbur.|
|16||16||"Lucky Ducky"||January 15, 1966|
|17||17||"Foxy Seal"||January 22, 1966|
|18||18||"Squiddly Double Diddly"||January 29, 1966|
|19||19||"Hollywood Folly"||February 5, 1966|
|20||20||"One Black Knight"||February 12, 1966|
Season 2 (1966)
|Nº||Ep||Title||Original air date|
|21||1||"Yo Ho Ho"||September 10, 1966|
|22||2||"Phoney Fish"||September 17, 1966|
|Two criminals named Knuckles and Tiny pose as snorkel fish in order to rob the Bubbleland box office.|
|23||3||"Gnatman"||September 24, 1966|
|Squiddly Diddly and Chief Winchley each pose as the superhero Gnatman in order to fight crime.|
|24||4||"Robot Squid"||October 1, 1966|
|25||5||"Jewel Finger"||October 8, 1966|
|26||6||"Baby Squidder"||October 15, 1966|
On November 3, 2015, Warner Archive released The Secret Squirrel Show: The Complete Series on DVD in region 1 as part of their Hanna–Barbera Classics Collection. This release contains all Squiddly Diddly shorts.
The episode "Way Out Squiddly" is also available on the DVD Saturday Morning Cartoons Vol. 1.
Squiddly Diddly in other languages
- Brazilian Portuguese: Lula Lelé
- Spanish: El pulpo Manotas
- French: Squiddly la pieuvre
- Dutch: Inky de inktvis
- Italian: Squiddly Diddly
- German: Squiddly Diddly
- Japanese: Tako no Roku chan
- Tunisian Arabic: قرينط الشلواش (Qrīnaṭ il-šalwāš)
References in other media
- In 1966, Hanna-Barbera Records released Squiddly Diddly's Surfin' Surfari on LP.
- Squiddly Diddly was featured in Yogi's Gang (1973) voiced by Don Messick.
- Squiddly Diddly made a lone comic book appearance in 1966, as a back-up feature in the only issue of Secret Squirrel, published by Gold Key Comics, and again in 1996, courtesy of Hanna-Barbera Presents #6, published by Archie Comics.
- Squiddly and Chief Winchley appeared in Yogi's Treasure Hunt.
- Squiddly Diddly made a cameo in the Yo Yogi! episode "The Big Snoop." He is seen amongst those looking for Super Snooper when he ends up kidnapped.
- In the British comedy Only Fools and Horses Christmas Special 1989 "The Jolly Boys' Outing", Squiddly Diddly was cited by Del Boy as the reason for the failure of his seafood stall, since people were unwilling to consume creatures they had become fond of.
- Squiddly Diddly has been seen on HBO's The Ricky Gervais Show, where the character is involved in a few scripts, including being side-by-side with a killer octopus and giving Karl Pilkington a rectal examination.
- Squiddly Diddly appears in the Harvey Birdman, Attorney at Law episodes "SPF", "Gone Efficien...t" and "The Death of Harvey". Chief Winchley makes a cameo in "Juror in Court".
- Squiddly Diddly made a cameo in a 2012 MetLife commercial entitled "Everyone".
- Squiddly Diddly's body is shown in Janni Nemo's office in the 2015 graphic novel Nemo: River of Ghosts, written by Alan Moore and illustrated by Kevin O'Neill.
- Simon Cowell has two dogs named Squiddly and Diddly, a catchphrase he has often used on reality TV shows over the years.
- Squiddly Diddly appears several times in Mark Russell (comics)'s 2018 comics series Snagglepuss.