Stanley Allen Bastian
|Stanley Allen Bastian|
|Judge of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Washington|
May 1, 2014
|Appointed by||Barack Obama|
|Preceded by||Edward F. Shea|
|Born||Stanley Allen Bastian
April 3, 1958
|Education||University of Oregon B.S.
University of Washington School of Law J.D.
Stanley Allen Bastian (born April 3, 1958) is a United States District Judge of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Washington.
Bastian was born April 3, 1958 in Seattle, Washington. He received a Bachelor of Science degree in 1980 from the University of Oregon. He received a Juris Doctor in 1983 from the University of Washington School of Law. After graduation, he worked as an associate at the law firm of Bergman & Bauer from 1983 to 1984. He served as a law clerk to Judge Ward Williams of the Washington State Court of Appeals from 1984 to 1985 and as an Assistant City Attorney in Seattle, from 1985 to 1988. In 1988, he joined the law firm of Jeffers, Danielson, Sonn & Aylward, P.S. in Wenatchee, Washington, where he primarily handled civil employment cases. From 2012 to 2014, he was the managing partner of the law firm. He also served as the President of the Washington State Bar Association in 2007. Bastian was selected as a Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers in 2007, and chaired the Equal Justice Coalition from 2010 to 2013. Over the course of his career Bastian tried hundreds of cases before juries and judges.
Federal judicial service
On September 19, 2013, President Obama nominated Bastian to serve as a United States District Judge of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Washington, to the seat vacated by Judge Edward F. Shea, who took senior status on June 7, 2012. The American Bar Association's committee on federal judicial recommendations unanimously rated Bastian as well-qualified for the position. On January 16, 2014 his nomination was reported out of committee. On April 11, 2014 Senate Majority Leader Reid filed a motion to invoke cloture on the nomination. On April 29, 2014 a vote on the motion to invoke cloture on the nomination was agreed to by a vote of 55-41. On April 30, 2014 the nomination was confirmed by a final vote of 95-0. He received his judicial commission on May 1, 2014.
- "Attorney Stanley A Bastian - Lawyer in Wenatchee WA". www.lawyercentral.com.
- "President Obama Nominates Eight to Serve on the United States District Courts". 19 September 2013.
- "WSBA Presidents". www.wsba.org.
- "Stanley Bastian" BallotPedia, Retrieved February 24, 2016
- "Senate Questionnaire" US Senate, Retrieved July 18, 2016
- "Bastian, Stanley Allen - Federal Judicial Center". www.fjc.gov.
- "Presidential Nominations Sent to the Senate". 19 September 2013.
- ""Ratings of Article III Judicial Nominees 113th Congress" Am. Bar Assoc., last updated February 6, 2014" (PDF).
- "Executive Business Meeting". United States Senate. Committee on the Judiciary. Retrieved 16 January 2014.
- "U.S. Senate Roll Call Votes 113th Congress - 2nd Session". Vote Summary: Vote Number 112. United States Senate. Retrieved 29 April 2014.
- "U.S. Senate Roll Call Votes 113th Congress - 2nd Session". Vote Summary: Vote Number 119. United States Senate. Retrieved 30 April 2014.
Edward F. Shea
|Judge of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Washington