Susan Ritchie Bolton
|Susan Ritchie Bolton|
|Senior Judge of the United States District Court for the District of Arizona|
September 1, 2016
|Judge of the United States District Court for the District of Arizona|
October 13, 2000 – September 1, 2016
|Nominated by||Bill Clinton|
|Preceded by||Robert C. Broomfield|
September 1, 1951 |
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, U.S.
|Alma mater||University of Iowa
University of Iowa College of Law
Susan Ritchie Bolton (born September 1, 1951) is a Senior United States federal judge of the United States District Court for the District of Arizona.
Early life, education, and early career
State judicial service
Bolton's judicial service began on the Arizona Superior Court for Maricopa County, where she served from 1989 to 2000.
Federal judicial service
On July 21, 2000, based upon the recommendation of U.S. Senator Jon Kyl from Arizona, Bolton was nominated by President Bill Clinton to a District Court seat vacated by Robert C. Broomfield. She was confirmed by the United States Senate on October 3, 2000, and received her commission on October 13, 2000. She is a registered Independent. Bolton assumed senior status on September 1, 2016.
2010 Arizona immigration law cases
On Wednesday, July 28, 2010, Bolton issued a ruling blocking key portions of SB 1070, writing that "requiring police to check the immigration status of those they arrest or whom they stop and suspect are in the country illegally would overwhelm the federal government's ability to respond, and could mean legal immigrants are wrongly arrested." Judge Bolton wrote: "Federal resources will be taxed and diverted from federal enforcement priorities as a result of the increase in requests for immigration status determination that will flow from Arizona."
On September 5, 2012, Judge Bolton cleared the way for police to carry out the 2010 law's requirement that officers, while enforcing other laws, may question the immigration status of those they suspect are in the country illegally. This part of the law has been called the "show me your papers" provision.
- "Profile: Who is U.S. District Judge Susan Bolton?". KSAZ-TV. July 8, 2010.
- "THOMAS" Susan Bolton USDC, AZ confirmation:PN1157-106
- McCombs, Brady (July 21, 2010). "Judge is known as fair, thorough". Arizona Daily Star.
- Fischer, Howard (July 8, 2010). "Federal judge sets date for hearing on SB 1070". East Valley Tribune. Retrieved July 16, 2010.
- Archibold, Randal C. (July 29, 2010). "Judge Blocks Arizona's Law on Immigrants". The New York Times. p. A1.
- Stephen Dinan (2010-07-28). "Feds win round 1 against Arizona; Immigration rules blocked". Washington Times.
- "Federal judge OKs section of Arizona immigration law allowing police to question status of suspected illegals". FNC. Retrieved 5 September 2012.
- Susan Ritchie Bolton at the Biographical Directory of Federal Judges, a public domain publication of the Federal Judicial Center.
Robert C. Broomfield
|Judge on the United States District Court for the District of Arizona