Swimming at the 2012 Summer Olympics – Men's 1500 metre freestyle
|Men's 1500 metre freestyle
at the Games of the XXX Olympiad
|Venue||London Aquatics Centre|
|Dates||August 3, 2012 (heats)
August 4, 2012 (final)
|Competitors||31 from 25 nations|
|Winning time||14:31.02 WR|
|Swimming at the
2012 Summer Olympics
Shaking off a potential false start due to fan noise, China's Sun Yang put together a marvelous swim with a relentless attack on his world record to strike a long-distance freestyle double at the Olympic Games for the first time, since the Soviet Union's Vladimir Salnikov did so in 1980. Leading from the start, Sun quickly dropped two seconds under a world-record pace, as he pulled away further from the rest of the field to smash his own standard with a stunning gold-medal time in 14:31.02. Trailing behind the leader by 8.61 seconds on a dominant fashion, Canada's Ryan Cochrane held off a close battle from Tunisia's defending champion Oussama Mellouli for the silver in an American record of 14:39.63. Meanwhile, Mellouli faded down the stretch to pick up a bronze in 14:40.31, edging out of South Korea's Park Tae-hwan (14:50.61) by a wide margin of 10.3 seconds.
Italian teenager Gregorio Paltrinieri finished fifth in 14:51.92, while U.S. swimmer Connor Jaeger posted a sixth-place time of 14:52.99. Poland's Mateusz Sawrymowicz (14:54.32) and Great Britain's Daniel Fogg (15:00.76) rounded out a historic finale.
Notable swimmers missed the final including Jaeger's teammate Andrew Gemmell, Ukraine's Sergiy Frolov, Hungary's Gergő Kis, and British home favorite David Davies, bronze medalist in Athens eight years earlier.
At the start of this event, the existing World and Olympic records were as follows.
|World record||Sun Yang (CHN)||14:34.14||Shanghai, China||31 July 2011|
|Olympic record||Grant Hackett (AUS)||14:38.92||Beijing, China||15 August 2008|
The following records were established during the competition:
|August 4||Final||Sun Yang||China||14:31.02||WR, OR|
|4||7||Park Tae-hwan||South Korea||14:50.61||NR|
|6||1||Connor Jaeger||United States||14:52.99|
|8||2||Daniel Fogg||Great Britain||15:00.76|
- "Swimming: Results & Schedules". London 2012. NBC Olympics. 29 July 2012. Retrieved 7 July 2013.
- Tucker, Jim (5 August 2012). "Sun Yang smashes 1500m freestyle world record at London Olympics". The Daily Telegraph (Sydney). Retrieved 12 July 2013.
- Auerbach, Nicole (4 August 2012). "China's Sun crushes world record by 3 seconds in 1,500". USA Today. Retrieved 12 July 2013.
- Maki, Allan (4 August 2012). "Canada's Ryan Cochrane captures silver in men's 1,500 freestyle". The Globe and Mail. Retrieved 12 July 2013.
- Mackin, Bob (4 August 2012). "Canada's Ryan Cochrane swims to silver in 1,500m freestyle". Toronto Sun. Retrieved 12 July 2013.
- "2012 London Olympics: Sun Yang Averts Potential False Start Disaster for Relentless World Record in 1500 Free; Ryan Cochrane Second, Ous Mellouli Third; USA's Connor Jaeger Takes Sixth". Swimming World Magazine. 4 August 2012. Retrieved 12 July 2013.
- "London Olympics: Connor Jaeger, Fair Haven native, finishes sixth in 1,500 freestyle final". The Star-Ledger. 4 August 2012. Retrieved 12 July 2013.
- "Olympics swimming: Sun Yang wins 1500m freestyle gold". BBC Sport. 4 August 2012. Retrieved 12 July 2013.
- "2012 London Olympics: World-Record Holder Sun Yang Dominates Morning Session of 1500 Free; Defending Champion Ous Mellouli Second; Ryan Cochrane, Tae Hwan Park, Connor Jaeger Among Finalists; Andrew Gemmell Misses". Swimming World Magazine. 3 August 2012. Retrieved 12 July 2013.
- "Halsall off to a flier". Sky Sports. 3 August 2012. Retrieved 12 July 2013.
- "Cochrane nabs silver in Yang's world record swim". CBC Sports. 31 July 2011. Retrieved 12 July 2013.
- "FINA World Championships, Swimming: Sun Yang Downs Grant Hackett's 1500 Free World Record". Swimming World Magazine. 31 July 2011. Retrieved 12 July 2013.
- Lohn, John (15 August 2008). "Olympics, Swimming: Grant Hackett Leads 1500 Free Qualifying With Olympic Standard". Swimming World Magazine. Retrieved 16 May 2013.
- "Men's 1500m Freestyle – Heats". London 2012. Retrieved 3 August 2012.