The Young Professionals
|The Young Professionals (TYP)|
|Origin||Tel Aviv, Israel|
|Genres||Pop, electronic music|
|Years active||2009 – present|
|Labels||Polydor and Casablanca
(of Universal Music Group)
The Young Professionals (also known as TYP or T¥P) is an Israeli electro pop band made up of producer Johnny Goldstein (in Hebrew ג'וני יונתן גולדשטיין, born January 29, 1991) and singer/songwriter/producer Ivri Lider (in Hebrew עברי לידר, born February 10, 1974). The band mixes electronic sounds, guitars and acoustic percussion to create music described as alternative pop.
In 2012, the duo released their debut album internationally as 9am to 5pm, 5pm to Whenever (originally an Israeli 2011 release titled 09:00 to 17:00, 17:00 to Whenever). "TYP D.I.S.C.O.", a remake of the well-known hit by Ottawan is their first international hit single.
As solo artists, Ivri Lider is an established Israeli pop star who was named Israeli Artist of the Year in 2005. He has released six solo albums, all of which have gone gold or platinum, and composed music for the films Yossi & Jagger, Walk on Water and The Bubble. Johnny "Yonatan" Goldstein is a music producer who has worked with Hadag Nahash, Avishai Cohen and Dana Adini of Habanot Nechama.
In 2008, Goldstein asked Lider to contribute to his hip hop album The Johnny Show, but Lider was unavailable. A year later, the two met and began collaborating – Goldstein would send Lider an electronic track, and Lider would send back lyrics and melodies. The duo came up with The Young Professionals concept, recording music in the guise of fashionable yuppie characters who work during the day and spend their evenings dancing at clubs. To enhance the music’s playful commentary on modern life, they recruited fashion, design, art, video and social networking specialists to join the band.
TYP, accompanied by drummer Tal Tamari, has made a point of performing at events suited to their multi-disciplinary aesthetic. In 2011, they put on their debut performance at the Fresh Paint Contemporary Art Fair in Tel Aviv; created a video-mapping spectacle that correlated with the building’s architecture at the opening event for the Tel Aviv Museum of Art’s new Herta and Paul Amir Building; and played the Castro Fall 2011 Fashion Show. In 2012, they performed on the central stage at the 2012 Tel Aviv Gay Pride Parade, and on the French television show Le Grand Journal, broadcast live from the Cannes International Film Festival.
TYP’s debut effort, 09:00 to 17:00, 17:00 to Whenever, was released in Israel in 2011. Each song on the album represents a different hour of the day, from working at the office during business hours to partying at the club at night. The record’s first single, “D.I.S.C.O.,” is a remake of Ottawan’s 1979 song of the same name. The video (directed by Guy Sagy) features an elaborate dance led by Israeli dancer Uriel Yekutiel, a frequent collaborator. The follow-up single, “20 Seconds,” was described as a “hypnotizing mashup of cool western electro and middle eastern heat.”
In January 2012, TYP signed a three-record deal with Polydor Records, a subsidiary of Universal Music Group, which intends to introduce TYP to a worldwide audience. 09:00 to 17:00, 17:00 to Whenever was released in France in June 2012 and North America in July 2012, with the amended title 9am to 5pm, 5pm to Whenever in line with the 12-hour clock. The 2012 release consists of a slightly different tracklisting from its precursor, including a cover version of Lana Del Rey's 2011 single "Video Games".
|9am to 5pm, 5pm to Whenever||114||(Original title, Israel 2011):
09:00 to 17:00, 17:00 to Whenever
(International release title (2012):
9am to 5pm, 5pm to Whenever
|2015||Quick, Quick, Star, Star, Money, Money|
- 2012: EP
- 2012: TYP Disco (The Remixes), Pt. 1 - EP
- 2012:TYP Disco (The Remixes), Pt. 2 - EP
- 2014: Let's Do It Right (The Remixes), Pt. 1 - EP
- 2014: Let's Do It Right (The Remixes), Pt. 2 - EP
- 2014: Think Again - EP
- 2011: "D.I.S.C.O."
- 2011: "20 Seconds"
- 2012: "Be With You Tonight"
- 2014: "Let's Do It Right" feat. Eva Simons
- 2015: "All Of It But Me" feat. Anna F.
|2012||The Young Professionals||"Be With You Tonight "||Polydor|
|Mylène Farmer||"A l'ombre"||Polydor|
|The Echo Friendly||"Same Mistakes"|
|2014||Tegan and Sara||"Closer"||Warner Music Group|
|The Young Professionals||"Let's Do It Right"||Polydor|
|Skip the Use||"Nameless World"||Polydor|
|Zedd||"Find You feat. Matthew Koma and Miriam Bryant"||Interscope|
|Emmanuelle Seigner||"You Think You're a Man"||Polydor|
|Moby feat. Damien Jurado||"Almost Home"||Little Idiot|
|Lana Del Rey||"West Coast"||Interscope|
|Guéna LG & Amir Afargan feat. Sophie Ellis-Bextor||"Back 2 Paradise"||La 5ème Communication|
|Mutine||"OÙ SONT LES HOMMES"||Polydor|
- David Brinn, “Ivri Lider, Jonny Goldstein sign with Universal,” Jerusalem Post, January 8, 2012.
- Ben Taylor, “Music: The Young Professionals,” Swide, July 12, 2011.
- Wayne Hoffman, "Out There", Tablet, October 17, 2011.
- Brian Gordon, "Questions for Ivri Lider", The Cornell Daily Sun, April 3, 2012.
- "Yossi & Jagger (2002)," IMDb. Accessed June 13, 2012.
- "Walk on Water (2004)," IMDb. Accessed June 13, 2012.
- "The Bubble (2006)," IMDb. Accessed June 13, 2012.
- David Brinn, “Ivri Lider embraces his inner disco,” Jerusalem Post, July 30, 2011.
- “Interviews: Ivri Lider,” Gay Times. Accessed June 13, 2012.
- Davis Mallory, “Ten Questions For Out Israeli Pop Star Ivri Lider,” AfterElton, May 24, 2012.
- Joseph Pedro, “Cocktail Music – The Young Professionals,” Passport, April 13, 2012.
- Yoni Cohen, “TA Gay Pride set to paint town all kinds of colors,” Jerusalem Post, May 16, 2012.
- “TYP Rockin’ in Cannes,” Abba Nibi, May 24, 2012.
- Perez Hilton, “Listen To This: Cold As Fire, Baby, Hot As Ice,” PerezHilton.com, July 19, 2011.
- “The Young Professionals Have a Fever Dream At The ‘D.I.S.C.O.’,” AfterElton, September 6, 2011.
- Will Pulos, “The Young Professionals Want To Take You To The D.I.S.C.O.,” NewNowNext, August 30, 2011.
- Rebecca Schiller, “Scene Report: On The Road In Tel Aviv, Israel,” NME, March 11, 2012.
- “EQTV Premiere – Watch Brand New Video ’20 Seconds’ by The Young Professionals,” EQ Music, September 7, 2011.
- Raz Shechnik, “Ivri Lider lands international contract,” Ynetnews, January 6, 2012.
- "Must Listen: The Young Professionals Do Lana Del Rey!" Poponandon.com, January 30, 2012.
- “TYP sign with Live Nation,” Abba Nibi, March 26, 2012.
- "Best Israeli Act Named!" MTV EMA. Accessed June 17, 2012.
- The Young Professionals page, MTV EMA. Accessed June 13, 2012.
- LesCharts.com: The Young Professionals page
- Official band site
- TYP on Facebook
- TYP on Twitter
- TYP's Channel on YouTube
- TYP on Soundcloud
- TYP's POPs for Android phones