|This is the talk page for discussing improvements to the Business intelligence article.
This is not a forum for general discussion of the article's subject.
|This article is of interest to the following WikiProjects:|
Sections older than 60 days may be automatically archived by .
Wiki Education Foundation-supported course assignment
I agree that the BI industry is changing and quickly. As many companies are being bought up by stack vendors there are as many new companies coming into play. There are a few still surviving on their own and changing the game. Providing new thinking through future technology and innovation will certainly continue to change the industry. These companies include Micro Strategies and IBM Cognos. There are also smaller companies that are niche solutions but these two are the larger ones that are competing with the stack vendors and still maintaining their independence.
Greetings! Here with a request to update the section Marketplace to give readers a few examples of the so-called pure-play vendors and megavendors. At present, the article mentions no companies in either category, though several are household names (and Notable); it seems to me that naming the big players would help the reader understand the marketplace better. You can see my additions below in bold, though they are of course not boldfaced in the prepared markup:
Here is markup for the entire paragraph:
- Wailgum, Thomas (26 March 2008). "9 business intelligence vendors to watch". Networkworld. Retrieved 20 February 2018.
- Daniel, Diann (14 November 2007). "Business intelligence mergers and acquisitions: Has BI grown up?". CIO. Retrieved 20 February 2018.
- Andrew Brust (2013-02-14). "Gartner releases 2013 BI Magic Quadrant". ZDNet. Retrieved 21 August 2013.
- Pendse, Nigel (7 March 2008). "Consolidations in the BI industry". The OLAP Report.
- "Gartner Says Worldwide Business Intelligence, CPM and Analytic Applications/Performance Management Software Market Grew Seven Percent in 2012". Gartner. Retrieved 11 May 2017.
I happen to be professionally affiliated with one of them, MicroStrategy, so given this financial COI I will not edit this article directly. Can other editors assist in posting this edit? Happy to answer any questions if need be. Thanks, WWB Too (Talk · COI) 16:50, 28 March 2018 (UTC)
- Per your request on my talk page to look at this: I'm not fond of random lists of commercial "examples" in topics like this. There are dozens of vendors mentioned in the references, and attempts to cherry pick them usually wind up as spam magnets. Thank you for your professionalism and transparency, but I can't make that change. Kuru (talk) 00:09, 29 March 2018 (UTC)
- OK, I appreciate the reply and understand the concern. I recognize the potential for abuse, though it's disappointing: the companies are all WP:N and the citations are all WP:RS. I won't push on this one, but I will leave the request in case anyone might favor the change at a later point. WWB Too (Talk · COI) 13:47, 29 March 2018 (UTC)
Here's a request to update the latter paragraph in the article that refers to 2008 or 2009 in recent trending. That's a laugh! — Preceding unsigned comment added by 184.108.40.206 (talk) 18:19, 21 August 2019 (UTC)