Talk:Diary of a Wimpy Kid
|Diary of a Wimpy Kid was one of the Language and literature good articles, but it has been removed from the list. There are suggestions below for improving the article to meet the good article criteria. Once these issues have been addressed, the article can be renominated. Editors may also seek a reassessment of the decision if they believe there was a mistake.|
|Current status: Delisted good article|
|This is the talk page for discussing improvements to the Diary of a Wimpy Kid article.|
|This article is of interest to the following WikiProjects:|
- 1 Diary of a Wimpy Kid
- 2 Nominated On KCA 08
- 3 It's Susan Heffely!
- 4 Characters?
- 5 Grammar
- 6 Greg's Grade???
- 7 Vandalism
- 8 fregley
- 9 The page
- 10 Diary Of A Wimpy Kid
- 11 Errors
- 12 Edit-warring
- 13 Detleted Plot??????!!
- 14 Copyright problem removed
- 15 Confusing sentence
- 16 Sources
- 17 GA Review
- 18 FA
- 19 Shouldn't there be a more specific plot description?
- 20 GA Reassessment
- 21 Semi-protected edit request on 11 May 2015
- 22 Page Title
- 23 Update "Awards" section
Diary of a Wimpy Kid
Why isn't there a picture of the cover of Diary of a Wimpy Kid? 18.104.22.168 17:36, 6 October 2007 (UTC)Kinz
It's called "copyright". Someone's gotta find a picture and a fair use rationale so we don't infringe on anything,because that would be bad. If Wikipedia infringes on a copyright, then a lawsuit would be in the process. —Preceding unsigned comment added by 22.214.171.124 (talk) 01:20, 20 December 2007 (UTC)
Nominated On KCA 08
It's Susan Heffely!
- I haven't the vaguest idea. The only character who really deserves a page is Greg Heffley. —Preceding unsigned comment added by 126.96.36.199 (talk) 03:02, 26 May 2008 (UTC)
Does anyone have any confirmation about Greg's grade, Middle School starts in 6th grade (at least at my SD) but if book one is 6th grade and book 2/3 is 7th grade, after book 4, summer vacation, Greg would presumbly be entering 8th grade, but high school doesn't start at my SD until 9th grade, we could juggle around the facts but I don't think we can confirm whether or not Greg's starts 6th or 7th grade in book 1. Fishhead (talk) 21:21, 21 May 2008 (UTC)
- I don't think we can assume his grade levels unless the books specifically say, because different school districts have different arrangements. I know of districts with K-6 elementary schools with 7-8 middle schools and others with K-5 ES with 6-8 MS. So, I think, unless we can find diffinative evidence of specific grades mentioned, the best would be to continue to say just "middle school".Rhodesisland (talk) 22:58, 23 February 2012 (UTC)
Someone vandalized this article so bad! At first, this had an article about the whole series, books being released in the future, all characters, the swear jar, and more. But someone vandalized it terribly.Please help me restore this article! —Preceding unsigned comment added by 188.8.131.52 (talk) 22:08, 28 July 2008 (UTC)
- The person who "vandilized" the page was actually taking out all of the phrases with out references. We can add them back once there are more references that are reliable. ~~ ĈőмρǖтέŗĠύʎ890100 (t ↔ Ĕ ↔ ώ) 16:57, 1 August 2008 (UTC)
I say the following should happen:
- get rid of character section (or shorten it.) Some parts didn't even happen in this book , example: greg isn't called ploopy until the third.
- add a plot summary section
- make a new page called List of characters in Diary of a Wimpy Kid series.
Diary Of A Wimpy Kid
Nothing against you or fans of this book, but this page is for improvements that can be made to the article. Please take opinions to a fan site or something. Sorry! NessLord64 (talk) 21:08, 28 May 2009 (UTC)NessLord64
- Additionally, on the same page (70) the teenanger in the back of the truck has a lump in his throat in the top picture, but on the bottom he doesn't.
He persistently undoes the edit for his way. I have a couple of questions: Does he own the section himself? Or is the way he worded it makes more sense?
- It was unreferenced and was terribly written. --Highspeedrailguy (talk) 18:45, 24 February 2011 (UTC)
- Your addition to Diary of a Wimpy Kid has been removed, as it appears to have added copyrighted material to Wikipedia without permission from the copyright holder. For legal reasons, we cannot accept copyrighted text or images borrowed from other websites or printed material; such additions will be deleted. You may use external websites or publications as a source of information, but not as a source of article content such as sentences or images. Wikipedia takes copyright violations very seriously and persistent violators will be blocked from editing. The Plot section appears to match multiple Internet pages which predate the edit. There is no attribution to an external source or indication that this is a quote. Google search: selection from Plot.SBaker43 (talk) 03:22, 26 February 2011 (UTC)
Copyright problem removed
Prior content in this article duplicated one or more previously published sources. Infringing material has been rewritten or removed and must not be restored, unless it is duly released under a compatible license. (For more information, please see "using copyrighted works from others" if you are not the copyright holder of this material, or "donating copyrighted materials" if you are.) For legal reasons, we cannot accept copyrighted text or images borrowed from other web sites or published material; such additions will be deleted. Contributors may use copyrighted publications as a source of information, but not as a source of sentences or phrases. Accordingly, the material may be rewritten, but only if it does not infringe on the copyright of the original or plagiarize from that source. Please see our guideline on non-free text for how to properly implement limited quotations of copyrighted text. Wikipedia takes copyright violations very seriously, and persistent violators will be blocked from editing. While we appreciate contributions, we must require all contributors to understand and comply with these policies. Thank you. SBaker43 (talk) 03:22, 26 February 2011 (UTC)
I don't understand this line, "When Greg confesses, Greg is kicked out, and Rowley is promoted." "kicked out" of what and "promoted" in what? Did I miss the initial reference?Rhodesisland (talk) 23:07, 23 February 2012 (UTC)
http://www.parade.com/news/2011/03/20-table-of-contents.html mentions a Parade article called "The Wonderful World of Wimpy" (Browne, David) beginning in page 8 of the Sunday March 20, 2011 Parade WhisperToMe (talk) 15:50, 20 March 2011 (UTC)
- This review is transcluded from Talk:Diary of a Wimpy Kid/GA1. The edit link for this section can be used to add comments to the review.
- Referencing to itself is not necessary. At least put the page numbers.
- Diary of a Wimpy Kid should be in quotation marks, not italics
- "The books focuses on Greg's life as he enters middle school and faces many hardships with his family." that sentence is completely redundant to the previous one
- "The sequel to the book isRodrick Rules." There needs to be a space.
- 2nd paragraph, name should not be in italics, but in quotation.
- "Diary of a Wimpy Kid first appeared on FunBrain.com in 2004. The online book was read 20 million times." You could merge the two sentences.
- "The sequel to the film is Rodrick Rules" there should be a point.
- Could you merge some paragraphs
- We do not need a tab after a paragraph.
- Go here, and you can see it below this note.
- ~~Ebe123~~ → report on my contribs. 20:08, 3 December 2011 (UTC)
- Done Saw that in history.
- "Not all goes to plan though and when they get home and Greg's dad, who was hassled by kids, throws water at them and the water soaks their candy.The Wizard of Oz play is also a hardship for Greg, Patty Farell, who plays Dorothy, is coming on stage, and since Greg is a Tree, he thinks he can throw apples at her, but the director takes it out for health and safety." After 1st sentence, We need a space.
- Section to be expanded
- "The website made daily entries until June 2005.<ref name="greg">" There should be a slash right before ">" ~~Ebe123~~ → report on my contribs. 20:21, 3 December 2011 (UTC)
Development and reception
- 2nd paragraph is too short.
This is on the borderline for speedy fail. I'm putting this on hold for 7 days. ~~Ebe123~~ → report on my contribs. 13:57, 3 December 2011 (UTC) I have corrected most of the mistakes said here.Greg Heffley 19:31, 3 December 2011 (UTC) GA review – see WP:WIAGA for criteria
- Is it reasonably well written?
- Is it factually accurate and verifiable?
- Is it broad in its coverage?
- A. Major aspects:
- B. Focused:
- Is it neutral?
- Fair representation without bias:
- Is it stable?
- No edit wars, etc:
- Does it contain images to illustrate the topic?
- Pass or Fail:
- that would be a premature nomination. you might have to expand it. see WP:FACR for the criteria for an FA article. Koopatrev (talk) 04:57, 28 June 2012 (UTC)
Shouldn't there be a more specific plot description?
- This discussion is transcluded from Talk:Diary of a Wimpy Kid/GA2. The edit link for this section can be used to add comments to the reassessment.
Article's prose and structure does not meet GA-level as it doesn't contain most of the basic features, such as Plot, Production/Development, and Reception information. Lucia Black (talk) 20:10, 13 May 2014 (UTC)
- I concur with this individual reassessment that the article does not currently meet the GA criteria, specifically 3a (Broad in coverage) as noted above, 2 (Verifiable), and 6a (image tag). The Award section is uncited. The image "File:Wimpy Kid snapshot.jpg" is using the "Non-free web screenshot" template without a fair use rationale (appears the uploader put the rationale is the edit summary and not on the File page). In its current state, I recommend re-assessing it to C-class or start-class. maclean (talk) 20:00, 16 May 2014 (UTC)
Semi-protected edit request on 11 May 2015
|This edit request has been answered. Set the
I would like the Plot to be here.
— Preceding unsigned comment added by 184.108.40.206 (talk) 13:42, 11 May 2015 (UTC)
- Not done: it's not clear what changes you want to be made. Please mention the specific changes in a "change X to Y" format. --I am k6ka Talk to me! See what I have done 16:51, 11 May 2015 (UTC)
This Wikipage on this book series is the only one where the subtitle (unambiguous volume name) is not included in the page title. Of course, as the first book in this series, there was no ambiguity when it was first published (since the subsequent volumes did not then exist). However, there are now 10 books in the series and all, including the first volume, have unique subtitles (not to mention three films of the same title).
I have now twice renamed (moved) this page to Diary of a Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Greg Heffley's journal and twice now two different editors have reverted my edit. I have absolutely no interest or desire to indulge in an edit war; but I fail to see why renaming this page to avoid ambiguity should be controversal ... especially since there are now 10 books and three films and a growing body of collateral stemming from this meme. In my humble opinion, and under the circumstances, "Diary of a Wimpy Kid" should lead to a disambiguation page, not to what happens to be the first installment of this book series (not to mention the films of the same name, derived from the book series.
Furthermore, library catalog systems include the subtitle for the same reason, to uniquely identify the specific book volume, to wit:
- (WorldCat) Diary of a wimpy kid : Greg Heffley's journal
- (LibHub) Diary of a wimpy kid : Greg Heffley's journal
- (Books A Million) Diary of a wimpy kid : Greg Heffley's journal
- Incidentally, I responded to the question of the editor who first reverted my page title change, here:
- However, I did not receive a reply to my response. So, I think this is a discussion that should properly be opened on the talk page.
- Enquire (talk) 01:20, 30 November 2015 (UTC)
- Hello Enquire. I think you make a good case. I'd suggest opening a formal requested move discussion so that an independent closer can assess the consensus in a week or two. You can find the instructions at Wikipedia:Requested moves#Requesting a single page move or Wikipedia:Requested moves#Requesting multiple page moves if you also think Diary of a Wimpy Kid (disambiguation) should be moved to Diary of a Wimpy Kid, too. Let me know if you need a hand with any of that and sorry if it sounds a bit overly bureaucratic. Jenks24 (talk) 07:45, 30 November 2015 (UTC)
Update "Awards" section
I'd like to update the awards section for the Wimpy Kid page to include recent awards.
"Since initial publication in 2007, the series has gone on to win many regional and national awards around the globe including two Children’s Choice Book Awards and five Nickelodeon Kids’ Choice Awards for Favorite Book. Jeff Kinney was named one of Time magazine’s most influential people in the world. "