Talk:Johnny B. Goode
|Johnny B. Goode has been listed as a level-4 vital article in Art. If you can improve it, please do. This article has been rated as C-Class.|
|This article is of interest to the following WikiProjects:|
It's true!!! The earthlings? coveredd this song, too! Dude!
I guess so.
--Windwaker 05:22, 23 December 2005 (UTC)
Is the mark campbell who sang it in BTTF the same as the tight end?? Doesn't make any sense...
Trimming the cultural section
I just decided to flag some of the cultural points that I think can be trimmed out (I tried to choose the less associated, more obscure references to be removed).
* In the movie Back to the Future... * The Beach Boys copied the intro... * The song is one of two Berry... **** * "Johnny B. Goode" makes a cameo... * "Johnny B. Goode" also makes a cameo... * "Johnny B. Goode" is also referenced... * In 2004, Democratic nominee for... * Australian band TISM once recorded... * "Johnny B. Goode" can be heard in many... * In the SNES game Earthbound (or Mother 2 in Japan)... **** * In the computer videogameTheme Park... ***** * On the soundtrack to the SNES game Final Fantasy... **** * The Kingdom Hospital television miniseries... * In the videogames Animal Crossing and its sequel... **** * "Johnny B. Goode" is featured on the Voyager... * On his 2006 Modern Times album Bob Dylan seems... **** * American NASCAR driver Johnny Benson is... **** * Ironically, pianist Johnny Johnson was not... **** (not even relevant to the section) * "Johnny B. Goode" has also been used... * In an Australian advertisement... * The DEVO song Come Back... **** * The Histeria! episode... * The Discworld novel... **** * One of the main...
- I think the Back to the Future reference should be kept given (1) the popularity of the movie, (2) the treatment of the song as fundamental to rock'n'roll, (3) the explicit reference to Chuck Berry via the brother Marvin character, etc. John Cardinal 13:20, 10 September 2007 (UTC)
- Doh. I see it now. You are saying to trim the entries to which you added asterisks. I made them bold to make them stand out. Furthermore, I think I'll be bold and go delete them. They look like a good start to me. John Cardinal 13:24, 10 September 2007 (UTC)
- Alright, I went ahead and removed a few more, I feel like its pretty decently trimmed down. I'm not sure what qualifies the note to be taken down from the top of the section, but I'd say it could be done. ObsidianOps 23:03, 24 September 2007 (UTC)
- I don't think I removed any but I did copy-edit the crap out of them, especially the Misfits of Science material that was about 75% too much. In fact, I rewrote the bulk of the article. Hope nobody minds. :D (PS: There is no longer a trivia section to worry about, either). Eaglizard (talk) 01:43, 20 November 2007 (UTC)
What a sad commentary on our time that Johnny B. Goode is in several "Back to the Future" categories but nary a one "Chuck Berry" or "Classic Rock Songs" or "Classic Guitar Songs" categories. Have we forgotten our history?
Men At Work?
The band Men At Work published a song titled "Be Good Johnny" and, although the title is probably a reference to "Johnny B. Goode," the two songs don't have much in common. Can I safely get rid of Men At Work under the list of artists who have done a cover of this song, or am I mistaken? Kludger —Preceding comment was added at 01:47, 13 March 2008 (UTC) Please do! The Men at Work song is a reference not a cover! —Preceding unsigned comment added by 184.108.40.206 (talk) 15:50, 11 January 2009 (UTC)
Jimi Hendrix version
Does Jimi Hendrix's version of Johnny B. Goode really require a seperate page? His rendition is attributed solely to Berry's writing, so it's technically the same song. Link: Johnny_B_Goode_(Jimi_Hendrix_song) —Preceding unsigned comment added by 220.127.116.11 (talk) 02:44, 23 July 2008 (UTC)
Back To The Future singer
The paragraph on Back To The Future states that Michael J. Fox's performance was sung by Andrew Marr but links to Andrew Marr the British journalist (which seems unlikely to be the same Andrew Marr!). Before removing the link I was looking for a reference for the singer's name. Imdb's cast/crew list doesn't help. Can anyone give a reference? --Kyuzo2000 (talk) 12:51, 24 October 2008 (UTC)
- The incorrect link ought to be removed in the meantime. There is no good reason to keep a link to an article about the journalist Andrew Marr. Holford (talk) 23:02, 28 October 2008 (UTC)
new cover versions
The Monkees: They covered the Song on their Live Album Made in Japan 1968
Should it be mentioned that the New Age Retro Hippie theme from Earthbound sounds a lot like this song?
Any section for influence?
An example of a great song article is the one for The Who's "My Generation." That page goes into the song's historical context and impact. This song was influential on just about all subsequent rock music, but nobody simply reading this page for it would know why. AndrewOne (talk) 03:06, 4 January 2015 (UTC)
Would it be noteworthy that be the BTTF version was most likely influenced by the Beatles version? Where Chuck only sings "Go, Johnny, go", John kicks it up a notch tremendously by going, "Go, Johnny, GO-GO-GO!!!", and the latter is just what Jack Mack and Michael J. Fox do in the movie. --18.104.22.168 (talk) 18:46, 17 August 2016 (UTC)
Hello fellow Wikipedians,
I have just modified 2 external links on Johnny B. Goode. Please take a moment to review my edit. If you have any questions, or need the bot to ignore the links, or the page altogether, please visit this simple FaQ for additional information. I made the following changes:
- Corrected formatting/usage for http://www.rockhall.com/exhibithighlights/500-songs/
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20110122042616/http://www.grammy.org/recording-academy/awards/hall-of-fame to http://www.grammy.org/recording-academy/awards/hall-of-fame
When you have finished reviewing my changes, you may follow the instructions on the template below to fix any issues with the URLs.
You may set the
|checked=, on this template, to true or failed to let other editors know you reviewed the change. If you find any errors, please use the tools below to fix them or call an editor by setting
|needhelp= to your help request.
- If you have discovered URLs which were erroneously considered dead by the bot, you can report them with this tool.
- If you found an error with any archives or the URLs themselves, you can fix them with this tool.
If you are unable to use these tools, you may set
|needhelp=<your help request> on this template to request help from an experienced user. Please include details about your problem, to help other editors.