Talk:Leading-edge slats

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
WikiProject Aviation / Aircraft (Rated C-class)
WikiProject icon This article is within the scope of the Aviation WikiProject. If you would like to participate, please visit the project page, where you can join the project and see lists of open tasks and task forces. To use this banner, please see the full instructions.
C-Class article C  This article has been rated as C-Class on the project's quality scale.
Checklist icon
Taskforce icon
This article is supported by the aircraft project.
WikiProject Physics / Fluid Dynamics  (Rated Start-class, Mid-importance)
WikiProject icon This article is within the scope of WikiProject Physics, a collaborative effort to improve the coverage of Physics on Wikipedia. If you would like to participate, please visit the project page, where you can join the discussion and see a list of open tasks.
Start-Class article Start  This article has been rated as Start-Class on the project's quality scale.
 Mid  This article has been rated as Mid-importance on the project's importance scale.
This article is supported by Fluid Dynamics Taskforce.


This article was moved to its present title to allow the creation of a disambiguation page at Slats as a result of too many disambiguation notes accumulating on the top of the old location. - Ahunt (talk) 13:51, 29 March 2009 (UTC)

Flaps VS Slats[edit]

Guys, there is a difference between a flap and a slat, the flap can usually be found at the trailing edge of the wing, whilst the slat is usually located at the leading edge of the wing. Most civilian airliners (except for the supersonic Concorde, including the smaller STOL, or bush type will have both, whereas in military aviation the presense of both or one of either does not usually indicates the role for which the aircraft was designed for. An example being the conventional wing strike fighter F/A-18 Hornet, it has slats as well as modified version of flaps, known as flaperons. Compare that to a delta wing Mirage III, the latter has no flaps and the lack of a horizontal stabilizer, or bettern know as tailplane, meant that flaps cannot be used, resulting in a long takeoff run and a high landing speed for the type. So to set the record straight, stop using flaps to pass off as leading edge slats. Please reword if you ever come across such errors in any aircraft article pages because it is extremely misleading. Thank you~! --Dave1185 (talk) 10:36, 12 October 2009 (UTC)

I think you have a good point here. Unfortunately some companies, like Boeing, use the term "leading edge flaps" to refer to devices on the front of the wing. It all adds confusion! - Ahunt (talk) 14:12, 12 October 2009 (UTC)
  • I don't care much about Boeing, they can say a lot of things about this or about that but it doesn't mean anything when it comes to avaition tech, Boeing just has it better in terms of marketing when it comes to airliners, period. And even then, they have lagged far behind the Europeans in terms of fuel economy when you look at the A380 and the B744 (hey, I should know very well since I service both the 380 and 744~!). Amongst the many engineers, machinist and techinicians around, the common sense and indeed, knowledge of cutting edge military aviation (as far as the fighter mafia is concerned), lies in other greater companies (not in size but in their know-how) such as Chance-Vought, General Dynamics, Grumman, Lockheed, McDonnell Douglas and Northrop. Only exception was the Boeing P-26 Peashooter, then again... it was the inter-war years and Boeing was just plain lucky to get that contract from USAAC. I grew up reading Gunston, Flight international, Orbis, Jane's, et al... and they all say the same thing when it comes to flaps and slats. So either someone (being gay or not, I don't know!) in Boeing is trying to buck the trend or they are screwing us up. IMO, Wikipedia should at least set the record straight by correcting this kind of stupidity in such ambiguity of naming convention on paper. (PS: Except for the Krueger flaps, none of my tech boys ever said the flaps when they were actually referring to the slats~!) --Dave1185 (talk) 16:04, 12 October 2009 (UTC)

I work for United airlines as a mechanic. As a point of clarification Boeing uses the term "leading edge flap" for a gapless device which is located on the inboard portion of the wing leading edge. Slat is a contraction of Slot (a gap) and Flap (camber altering part). The gapped outboard devices are still called slats. Randy50.131.79.211 (talk) 07:21, 4 November 2012 (UTC)


The connection between the content of this section and slats is not obvious. Slats, and their fixed relatives, slots have the specific task of delaying the stall onset as the angle of attack is increased, allowing higher CL values to be reached. It's not obvious how flexible wings do this, though it is easy to see how they might change the wing camber in a subtler way than flaps, often used in conjunction with slats. But replacing slats? It may well be possible but it needs more explanation, or a separate article.TSRL (talk) 22:11, 10 November 2016 (UTC)