|This is the talk page for discussing improvements to the Lights (musician) article.|
|This article is written in Canadian English (colour, realize, travelled, airplane), and some terms used in it are different or absent from other varieties of English. According to the relevant style guide, this should not be changed without broad consensus.|
|This page was nominated for deletion on 4 March 2008. The result of the discussion was keep.|
|This article must adhere to the biographies of living persons policy, even if it is not a biography, because it contains material about living persons. Contentious material about living persons that is unsourced or poorly sourced must be removed immediately from the article and its talk page, especially if potentially libellous. If such material is repeatedly inserted, or if you have other concerns, please report the issue to this noticeboard. If you are connected to one of the subjects of this article and need help, please see this page.|
|This article is of interest to the following WikiProjects:|
- 1 Notability
- 2 EP Artwork
- 3 Discography section
- 4 Persistent vandalism, illogical edits, removal of content by IP user/Lightscorrection
- 5 External links
- 6 New album title?
- 7 The Saltwater Room
- 8 Lights is not named Valerie anymore
- 9 New Photo
- 10 Move?
- 11 gold record
- 12 engagement?
- 13 Tours?
- 14 Page protection requested
- 15 Edit request on 3 February 2012
- 16 Legal Name
- 17 Her current legal name
- 18 Wikipedia:Articles for deletion/Lights (EP)
- 19 Why is she under the category of Canadian Christians?
- 20 Relation to Jian Ghomeshi
- Lights has yet to release an albums but she it is true that she is one of the most popular unsigned Canadian Singers on myspace. The virtue of Wikipedia is the fact that it expresses up-to-date contemporary culture, rather than the accomplishments of past people; any encyclopedia can do that. One cannot listen to Lights' voice and deny that her popularity will continue to spread. If the article goes down, another will just replace it soon. I do have one problem with the article, though. The last line about her songs becoming available on itunes for purchase should be taken down as it sounds like an advertisement. Furthermore, I'd like to know her real name. -- 188.8.131.52 (talk) 04:43, 5 March 2008 (UTC)
February Air already was a video. I'm pretty sure that the video coming out on December 9 is for "Ice"
She is also not unsigned. She is signed to Underground Records, the same canadian label that Protest the Hero is signed to.
I thought it was a bit odd that the artwork on her EP has the "disintegrator pistol" from the Foo Fighters album cover. It was immediately recognizable, as it's the exact same gun (although the one on the Foo Fighters cover was a photo, and the one on the Lights EP back cover is a rough sketch.) —Preceding unsigned comment added by 184.108.40.206 (talk) 01:05, 3 June 2008 (UTC)
- It's called an allusion and it pervades the arts. The peculiar choice of the graphic idiom and colors should have made it obvious. Reportedly Valerie is a big comics maven, and is even writing her own graphical novel in this vein. Sourced, this information should be added to the article. Also, a separate article needs to be created for Lights minialbum so that the cover could be shown on English Wikipedia, as fair use, as it is unlikely to be a freely-licensed image. See, I even made a properly formed red link for it. Now, someone click it and make the article and download the cover, making sure to use the required license-related templates (for guidance, just look at any existing album cover image on our Wikipedia. --Mareklug talk 12:42, 18 July 2008 (UTC)
The songs/singles/EP section is kinda messy and would look a lot nicer as a single discography section.
THe entire page reads as if it was a promotions page done by her PR Rep, but so is the case with a million other pages. —Preceding unsigned comment added by 220.127.116.11 (talk) 10:13, 7 December 2008 (UTC)
- I moved the album info to its own article, primarily, so that we could display the cover under fair-use exclusion to free content. Now coalescing what remains under one section is even more indicated. Go for it. --Mareklug talk 07:33, 6 November 2008 (UTC)
Persistent vandalism, illogical edits, removal of content by IP user/Lightscorrection
Please be aware of repeated damaging edits from this source, which claims to be Lights management. The quality of hte edits speaks for itself. The user in question is shopping for a block. Meanwhile, please don't revert partially after his/her/its edits. --Mareklug talk 09:12, 29 October 2008 (UTC)
Per WP:EL policy, the external links section of an article is meant only for the one or two most centrally relevant websites, almost never anything more than an artist's own official website and/or her myspace page if necessary. Interviews and articles about her in the media may be cited as references for article content, but are not meant to be listed as external links.
The following links, thus, may be used as references if appropriate, but should not be listed as ELs:
- Interview with LIGHTS on Amped Up TV
- Interplanetary Lights Lights Interview at Confessions of a Pop Culture Addict
- ChangeTheRecord.net interview
New album title?
One or more editors are claiming that the upcoming full length album is titled The Listening. The title needs a source, as required by WP:V. Could this be conflated with the song "Lovely Red Lights" by the band The Listening?  Dl2000 (talk) 04:43, 3 June 2009 (UTC)
The Saltwater Room
You are correct
That's Breanne, yes. She does sound like Lights though, and apparently Lights and Owl City are friends and fans of each other's music.
Lights is not named Valerie anymore
People changing that back are wrong. Just as Miley Cyrus is no longer named Destiny, Lights is no longer named Valerie. At least not legally.
- Such claims require a reliable source. However, such a source has been located now. Dl2000 (talk) 00:46, 26 May 2010 (UTC)
- Can we agree to leave her full legal name in the article? Just having LIGHTS creates confusion as it is mistaken for an stage name. There are several sources linked in the article that prove that her full legal name is Lights Valerie Poxleitner.
- No, there aren't, and absent a definitve, reliable source the assertion shouldn't be part of a BLP. Hullaballoo Wolfowitz (talk) 22:57, 17 July 2010 (UTC)
Lights has said herself that she's CHANGED her name, and she doesn't like being called Valerie. I view this article as disrespectful to her, since she's made it more than clear that she's not Valerie anymore. If this article isn't changed, I deem that section incorrect. It seems that you are letting your own opinions get in the way of writing a good article. — Preceding unsigned comment added by 18.104.22.168 (talk) 19:57, 1 February 2012 (UTC)
I agree. Maybe if you put her current name and then her birth name then it'd be fine, along with saying she's known mononymously (sp?) as LIGHTS. But she did change her name and it isn't necessarily a stage name. She's expressed annoyance with this and even replied to someone (perhaps the poster before me) on Twitter thanking him/her trying to change it. - anon. — Preceding unsigned comment added by 22.214.171.124 (talk) 17:36, 2 February 2012 (UTC)
seriously? thats called signing LOUD jeez dont change things because you dont like it. and your the same person who vandallised her info? —Preceding unsigned comment added by 126.96.36.199 (talk) 22:11, 7 January 2010 (UTC)
at her show, nov 18 2010, she was presented with her gold record for the listening, just before her last song. @queen elizbeth theater, Toronto. —Preceding unsigned comment added by 188.8.131.52 (talk) 06:12, 19 November 2010 (UTC)
Anybody found any source/news article about this? Read a lot lately that she is now engaged to Beau Bokan of the band Blessthefall. Any news stories from reliable sources confirming this? 184.108.40.206 (talk) 21:20, 16 September 2011 (UTC)
Why is there little to no mention of her tours? There are plenty of sources out there that show she's been touring like crazy for the last three years now. I mean, there's no mention on here of the Owl City tour, or the Are We There Yeti tour. Nobody even added the Siberia tour yet. -220.127.116.11 (talk) 14:03, 11 November 2011 (UTC)
Page protection requested
Edit request on 3 February 2012
|This edit request has been answered. Set the
Valerie Anne Poxleitner (born 11 April 1987), better known by her stage name Lights, is a Canadian singer-songwriter, signed to her own personal label, Lights Music.
Her LEGAL name is no longer Valerie Anne Poxleitner, it is now Lights Valerie Poxleitner. She has stated several times that she has changed it legally, even tweeting about the process. Her sister has confirmed this via the Lights Message Boards FROM HER SISTER FROM LIGHTS HERSELF!
She has NEVER once, refered to herself as Valerie, not in a video, online, anywhere. This needs to be fixed. The media is insanely ignorant about this.
It should state:
Lights Poxleitner (born 11 April 1987), is a Canadian singer-songwriter, who is signed to Universal Records in Canada and Sire Records/Last Gang in the United States. She has her own personal label called Lights Music Inc. 18.104.22.168 (talk) 00:29, 3 February 2012 (UTC)
- Done The opening paragraph is now worded according to MOS:BIO, with legal/birth name based on WP:RS sources. Label details were removed as being insignificant for the lede para, and which need some more work (WP:V, WP:NPOV, WP:RS) elsewhere in the article. Dl2000 (talk) 02:29, 3 February 2012 (UTC)
Her first name is legally Lights. The beginning of the article should state Lights Poxleitner. Sometimes people come here to see what her real name is which it is Lights. People get the wrong idea when they come and see Valerie. I don't think she has ever referred to herself as Valerie, obviously because she had her name changed to Lights. — Preceding unsigned comment added by 22.214.171.124 (talk) 03:05, 29 May 2012 (UTC)
- The legal name change is clearly stated and referenced as it should be, in the Early life section, and does not claim current use of her birth name. We need to follow WP:BLP and ensure the lede is properly supported with reliable sources. Lights Bokan was claimed due to recent marriage (WP:OR, and an offhand Twitter post isn't sufficient here). The latest IP edit claimed Lights Poxleitner, initially without sources, then associating this with sources which stated nothing of the kind, then finally a primary/promotional source which seems to support it, compared to secondary refs which don't claim this. Would suggest reverting to simply Lights unless reliable secondary sourcing appears otherwise. Dl2000 (talk) 02:10, 5 June 2012 (UTC)
Unless otherwised proved, her legal name remains "Lights Valerie Anne Poxleitner". She kept her birth names as middle names, and she's Canadian. The wife does not take the husband's name in Canada. So, no, Bokan was not "claimed due to recent marriage".126.96.36.199 (talk) 06:38, 2 December 2013 (UTC)
Her current legal name
Does anyone know what her current legal name is? From the intro and early life sections, one would get the impression that Lights is her entire legal name (similar to the magician Teller), but in various forms I've also seen Lights Poxleitner, Lights Valerie Poxleitner, and Lights Ann Poxleitner. There's also the fact that she's currently married to Beau Bokan which opens about 4 or 5 more possibilities for her legal name depending on if she took Beau's surname or not Crisis.EXE 15:53, 17 November 2012 (UTC)
___________________ Her current legal name is Lights Valerie Anne Poxleitner Bokan --- she tweeted this when she got married. — Preceding unsigned comment added by 188.8.131.52 (talk) 04:47, 21 November 2012 (UTC)
Wikipedia:Articles for deletion/Lights (EP)
Why is she under the category of Canadian Christians?
She performed an extremely blasphemous song with Bring Me the Horizon called "Crucify Me". Her parents are missionaries, but that doesn't make HER a Christian. Clearly the lyrics to "Crucify Me" would indicate that she isn't. 184.108.40.206 (talk) 02:59, 24 October 2014 (UTC)
Relation to Jian Ghomeshi
Is it really appropriate to have this in the second paragraph on her? "In 2007, she was discovered by Jian Ghomeshi, who was her manager until it was revealed that he receives sexual gratification from abusing women in 2014." Of course, it should be in the article somewhere that he was her manager and that she has now ended her professional relationship with him, but somewhere in the body rather than the introduction. It's also important to keep in mind NPOV when talking about a criminal case. I'm going to edit that section for tone at least. 220.127.116.11 (talk) 04:34, 24 December 2014 (UTC)