Talk:Media and gender
|This article is of interest to the following WikiProjects:|
I changed my article yesterday, in order to make it more as an encyclopedia than a personal essay. Please advice me anything which would be useful to make it more suitable according to Wikipedia criteria. I must underline that I am a native French speaker, this is why I used many French sources. However, this article has been fully writen by me and not by a computer. Moreover, everything I wrote comes from relevent and credible sources, I did not invent anything. Finally, I do not understand what is an orphan article (even after reading the explaination on your website), could you, please, tell me what can I do to remedy.
Thank you for your attention and your help.
- First, It's not your article. Though you did create it, anybody can edit it and contribute anything to it. Nobody owns articles. Not even Jimmy Wales. Second, I'm glad, but some bits of it appear to be original research in a sense. The way that you connect two topics that don't have a reliable source to connect them is original research unless a reliable source is produced to say what you're attempting to portray. What an orphan means is that other pages link to this page. Tutelary (talk) 16:23, 12 May 2014 (UTC)
- Hi, I would support renaming this page to 'Media and Gender Roles' or 'Media and Gender Perception'. I am of the opinion that the article is a little repetitive and would thus benefit from adding structure. I also believe that the subjects aren't clearly defined for my liking, we are talking about Women working in the media, Women's perception in the media, briefly about homosexuality. We maybe should split it in different parts with more evocative names (1.Traditional depiction, 2.Sexism, 2.1.Patriarchal views of masculinity, 3 Media Efforts, 3.1 From LGBT organisations -like Act Up-, 3.2.From Feminist Associations, 3.3.From Men's Right Association, 4.Controversy -declarations, View of Gender on Russian TV,..-, 5.A Changing landscape -Effects of women and LGBT journalists on the perceptions + Figures from a Think Tank. Let me know what you think of it. I can prepare a short draft.
Personal thinking of article
The article detailed explained the situation of women in the mass media. People should put more attention on building positive images for women on the social medias. According to the article, women are always been putting in a lower position so that the advertisement could achieve their aims. 'Housewife' is a common images for the women on the screens.
However, the title of the article is Media and gender. Gender is not only about women and media, i think author could add more information that related to the men. Not only women are meeting the problems with media effects, although women have more issues to discuss. — Preceding unsigned comment added by 22.214.171.124 (talk) 20:35, 25 February 2016 (UTC)
Peer Review for COMM 412 class: 1. Media and gender in the 20th century (magazine)
- This sentence sounds weird: “The readers of the magazine represented a new generation that had gone to college, were often on the pill, and had high expectations of the world”. - Rephrase it: “Victoria Secret magazines are guilty of hiding their models' faces by their own hair or shadows. This is a problem because it dehumanizes the model, and makes that model to be seen only as an object for sale, like the products”. Instead: Victoria Secret magazines hide models’ faces by their own hair, shadows or simply leaving their faces out of the image. This is problematic because it dehumanizes the model; categorizing them as objects for sale.
2. Median and gender in the 20th century (TV-shows).
- This sound odd: “With the showing of The Bachelor, continuing on with its 18th season as of 2015, it seems like we are on a downhill climb away from females being stereotyped on TV shows”. - I don’t know if it is necessary this sentence: “On The Bachelor, men and women are seeking to find love the "traditional way," by going on live TV and falling in love with someone after only going on to four of the most extravagant dates ever with them and then being thrown back in to reality where they fight for what they had in paradise. "I'm a loser… what is so wrong with me that someone cannot love me for who I am?" wept Heather in 2002 during a tear-stained money shot found in every Bachelor elimination ceremony”. - I do not agree with this statement, I think you should look for other one: “How To Get Away With Murder is a show full of sexy and intriguing characters followed by confusing character relationships and murder mysteries”.
Hello fellow Wikipedians,
I have just modified one external link on Media and gender. Please take a moment to review my edit. If you have any questions, or need the bot to ignore the links, or the page altogether, please visit this simple FaQ for additional information. I made the following changes:
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20160428172944/http://www.westminstercollege.edu/myriad/index.cfm?parent=...&detail=4475&content=4795 to http://www.westminstercollege.edu/myriad/index.cfm?parent=...&detail=4475&content=4795
When you have finished reviewing my changes, you may follow the instructions on the template below to fix any issues with the URLs.
You may set the
|checked=, on this template, to true or failed to let other editors know you reviewed the change. If you find any errors, please use the tools below to fix them or call an editor by setting
|needhelp= to your help request.
- If you have discovered URLs which were erroneously considered dead by the bot, you can report them with this tool.
- If you found an error with any archives or the URLs themselves, you can fix them with this tool.
If you are unable to use these tools, you may set
|needhelp=<your help request> on this template to request help from an experienced user. Please include details about your problem, to help other editors.