Thar Power Plant
A Joint Venture, Sindh Engro Coal Mining Company (SEMC), between Government of Sindh (GoS) and Engro established in Oct 2009, for the development of mining at Thar Coal Block II. In May 2013, a power company in the name of Thar Power Company Ltd. (THARCO) was incorporated as a subsidiary of SECMC with the mandate to develop the first power project based on coal mined by SECMC.As per the JV agreement, Engro is responsible for Project Management and Financing, while GoS for Infrastructural Development and attaining requisite consents and approvals for the Project. SECMC initially plans to develop coal mining and power project with a capacity of 3.8 million tonnes per annum and 660 MW. Subsequently, the mine will be expanded to a coal capacity of 6.5 million tonnes per annum to support a 1300 MW power plant. In Phase II, it is planned to expand mining project to 13.5 million tonnes and 19.5 million tonnes, with a power generation capacity of 2400 MW and 3600 MW.
- "Sindh Engro Coal Mining Company" (PDF). Sindh Board Of Investment. Retrieved 4 February 2016.
- "Sindh Engro Coal Mining Company and China Power International signed MoU to set up 6,000 MW Power Plants". Engro Corporation Limited formerly Engro Chemical Pakistan Limited. Retrieved 4 February 2016.
- "Rs9.6bn Thar power plant in jeopardy". Dawn. July 13, 2010. Retrieved 4 February 2016.
- "Landmark deal seals finance of Thar coal mine". The Express Tribune > Pakistan > Sindh. August 18, 2015. Retrieved 4 February 2016.
- Plan approved to build Thar power plant
- Rs9.6bn Thar power plant in jeopardy
- Sindh Coal website
- Sindh Engro Coal Mining Company