Thayer is an unincorporated community in Lincoln Township, Newton County, Indiana.
Thayer was laid out as a town in 1882. The community was named for a first settler. A post office has been in operation at Thayer since 1881.
Thayer, along with Shelby, Sumava Resorts and other small Kankakee River communities, has historically had to contend with periodic flooding from the river.
Thayer is located at 41°10′24″N 87°20′01″W / 41.17333°N 87.33361°W.
- ^ "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- ^ "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- ^ Ade, John (1911). Newton County: A Collection of Historical Facts and Personal Recollections Concerning Newton County, Indiana, from 1853 to 1911. Bobbs-Merrill. p. 194.
- ^ Baker, Ronald L. (October 1995). From Needmore to Prosperity: Hoosier Place Names in Folklore and History. Indiana University Press. p. 322. ISBN 978-0-253-32866-3.
...Thayer was the name of an early resident.
- ^ "Newton County". Jim Forte Postal History. Retrieved 9 September 2015.
- ^ White sad at closing of Shelby plant where success story / nwi.com