|Elevation||640 ft (200 m)|
|GNIS feature ID||443344|
Whiteco Industries, an Indiana business which, with its affiliates, is engaged in advertising (particularly billboard advertising) in Indiana, and in ownership of hotels, grew along with Dean White from a small advertising business in Shelby. The successor to the Shelby location of Whiteco's business (in this location making graphics for commercial vehicles), Modagraphics, closed its doors, however, in 1993, as a result of a consolidation within its new parent company from Illinois.
Shelby is located at Lowell, north of Thayer, east of Schneider and west of Demotte. There is also a small development called Sumava Resorts, located nearby on the Kankakee River a short distance to the west of Shelby. Indiana State Road 55 crosses the Kankakee River at Shelby, making one of the few Kanakee River crossings from Lake County. Shelby, along with Sumava Resorts and other small Kankakee River communities, has historically had to contend with periodic flooding from the Kankakee River.. It is directly south of
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Howat, William Frederick (1915). A Standard History of Lake County, Indiana, and the Calumet Region, Volume 1. Lewis Publishing Company. p. 141.
- White sad at closing of Shelby plant where success story / nwi.com
- Berggoetz, Barb. "Lifetime of stuttering spurs former race car driver Leon Sirois to help youth". Indianapolis Star. Retrieved December 27, 2013.