The Bazaar of Bad Dreams
First edition cover
|Genre||Horror, Literary Fiction|
|November 3, 2015|
|Media type||Print (hardcover)|
The Bazaar of Bad Dreams is a short fiction collection by Stephen King, published on November 3, 2015. This is King's sixth collection of short stories and his tenth collection overall. One of the stories, "Obits", won the 2016 Edgar Award for best short story, and the collection itself won the 2015 Shirley Jackson Award for best collection. The paperback edition, released on October 18, 2016, includes a bonus short story, "Cookie Jar", which was published in 2016 in VQR.
In a letter posted on Stephen King's official site in June 2014, King announced that he would possibly be publishing a "book of new stories" in the fall of 2015, following the publication of Finders Keepers. In an interview with the Toronto Sun on November 6, 2014, King announced the title of the collection and offered more details, saying "[I]n the fall of 2015 there will be a new collection of stories called The Bazaar of Bad Dreams, which'll collect about 20 short tales. It should be a pretty fat book." In February and March 2015, King personally, and via his assistant, confirmed the collection will include "Bad Little Kid" (published in 2014 as an e-book in French and German languages only as a gift to King's European fans), "Ur" (heavily revised), "Drunken Fireworks", and "A Death". The complete list of twenty stories was announced on King's website on April 20. Throughout May, King's official site revealed the cover in five stages, with the final cover being unveiled on May 22. The Bazaar of Bad Dreams omits contemporaneous stories published by King in collaboration with his son Joe Hill ("Throttle" and "In the Tall Grass") and Stewart O'Nan ("A Face in the Crowd").
|Title||Originally published in|
|Mile 81||Mile 81 e-book (2011)|
|"Premium Harmony"||November 9, 2009 issue of The New Yorker|
|"Batman and Robin Have an Altercation"||September 2012 issue of Harper's Magazine|
|"The Dune"||Fall 2011 issue of Granta|
|"Bad Little Kid"||Previously unpublished in English|
|"A Death"||March 9, 2015 issue of The New Yorker|
|"The Bone Church"||November 2009 issue of Playboy|
|Morality||July 2009 issue of Esquire|
|"Afterlife"||June 2013 issue of Tin House|
|Ur||Ur e-book (2009)|
|"Herman Wouk Is Still Alive"||May 2011 issue of The Atlantic|
|"Under the Weather"||Paperback edition of Full Dark, No Stars (2011)|
|Blockade Billy||Blockade Billy (2010)|
|"Mister Yummy"||Previously unpublished|
|"Tommy"||March 2010 issue of Playboy|
|"The Little Green God of Agony"||A Book of Horrors (2011)|
|"That Bus Is Another World"||August 2014 issue of Esquire|
|"Drunken Fireworks"||Drunken Fireworks audiobook (2015)|
|"Summer Thunder"||Turn Down the Lights (2013)|
- "StephenKing.com - The Bazaar of Bad Dreams". stephenking.com.
- "Edgar Award Winners, Nominees". theedgars.com.
- "The Shirley Jackson Awards » 2015 Shirley Jackson Awards Winners". www.shirleyjacksonawards.org.
- "Mr. Mercedes - Letter from Stephen & The Toll". stephenking.com.
- "Stephen King going as fast as he can". 6 November 2014.
- "Stephen King's New Short Story 'Bad Little Kid' Optioned for Feature Film (Exclusive)".
- "Stephen King: News from the Dead Zone #186". 31 October 2015.
- "Lilja's Library - The World of Stephen King [1996 - 2018]". www.liljas-library.com.
- "Stephen King's The Bazaar of Bad Dreams - Now Available!". StephenKing.com.
- "StephenKing.com - Recent News: The Bazaar of Bad Dreams Cover to be Revealed Throughout May". stephenking.com.