The Caretaker (musician)
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Birth name||James Kirby|
|Also known as||Billy Ray Cyrix, Butcher Claus, Butcher Claws, CV[ev], Dr. Fred, Edgeley Musher, The, Leon And Hits, MC V/Vm, Notorious P.I.G., The, Pole (disputed), Stranger, The, V/Vm Allstar Marching Band, V/Vm And The Hog Chorus, V/Vm With Garry's Glitter|
|Instruments||computer, sampler, turntable|
|Years active||1996 to present|
|Labels||V/Vm Test Records|
The Caretaker is a long-running project by electronic musician James Leyland Kirby alongside his better-known project V/Vm. Initially the project was inspired by the haunted ballroom scene in the Stanley Kubrick film The Shining, with his first several releases consisting of treated and manipulated samples of '30s ballroom pop recordings. His work has been characterised as exploring memory, nostalgia, and melancholia.
Theoretically pure anterograde amnesia was released in 2005 as a series of 72 free MP3 downloads. In 2006 this was pressed up as a limited edition 6 CD boxset with an additional 12 tracks. The release itself found much critical acclaim: it was record of the week in Stylus Magazine, received a favourable review in Grooves Magazine, and was given an honorary mention at the ARS Technica awards for Digital Musics in Austria, 2007.
Older works have received critical acclaim in publications as diverse as Russian Playboy and the BBC, and the project was a favourite of legendary BBC Radio DJ John Peel, who regularly played audio by The Caretaker on his shows.
As The Caretaker
- Selected Memories From The Haunted Ballroom (1999)
- A Stairway To The Stars (2001)
- We'll All Go Riding On A Rainbow (2003)
- Theoretically Pure Anterograde Amnesia (2005)
- Additional Amnesiac Memories (2006)
- Deleted Scenes / Forgotten Dreams (2007)
- Persistent repetition of phrases (2008) (Release info)
- An Empty Bliss Beyond This World (2011) (Release info)
- Patience (After Sebald) (2012) (Release info)
- Everywhere at the end of time (Stage 1) (2016)
- Everywhere at the end of time (Stage 2) (2017) (Release info)
As Leyland Kirby
- Sadly, the Future is No Longer What it Was (2009)
- Eager to Tear Apart the Stars (2011)
- Breaks My Heart Each Time (2014)
- We Drink to Forget the Coming Storm (2014)
As The Stranger
- Bleaklow (2008)
- Watching Dead Empires in Decay (2013)
- Phares, Heather. "Biography". AllMusic. Retrieved 16 June 2017.
- http://www.groovesmag.com/review_detail.php?id=00000370 Archived November 15, 2007, at the Wayback Machine.
- http://www.aec.at/en/prix/winners_honorary.asp Archived November 3, 2007, at the Wayback Machine.
- http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/release/hbdp/ Archived December 24, 2007, at the Wayback Machine.