The Informer (2019 film)
Theatrical release poster with original release date
|Directed by||Andrea Di Stefano|
|Based on||Three Seconds|
|Edited by||Job ter Burg|
|Box office||$2.6 million|
The Informer is a 2019 British crime thriller film directed by Andrea Di Stefano and written by Matt Cook, based on the novel Three Seconds by Roslund/Hellström. It stars Joel Kinnaman as the title character, alongside Rosamund Pike, Common, Ana de Armas, and Clive Owen.
Pete Koslow, a reformed criminal and former special operations soldier, is working undercover for crooked FBI handlers to infiltrate the Polish Mob's drug trade in New York. In a final step toward freedom, Koslow must return to the one place he has fought so hard to leave, Bale Hill Prison, where his mission becomes a race against time when a drug deal goes wrong and threatens to identify him as a mole. On discovering one of his handlers, Montgomery, intends to let him and his family die in order to use their homicides as hard evidence to ensure convictions, Koslow must turn to Grens, a member of NYPD's Organized Crime Division to ensure his loved ones' safety as he looks for a way to escape when his cover eventually gets conveniently blown.
- Joel Kinnaman as Pete Koslow
- Rosamund Pike as Erica Wilcox
- Clive Owen as Montgomery
- Common as Edward Grens
- Ana de Armas as Sofia Hoffman
- Eugene Lipinski as Ryszard Klimek
- Joanna Kaczyńska as Beata Klimek
- Edwin de la Renta as Smiley Phelps
- Sam Spruell as Slewitt
- Aylam Orian as Andrzej Dziedzic
- Karma Meyer as Anna Koslow
- Mateusz Kościukiewicz as Staszek Cusik
- Peter Parker Mensah as Officer Franklin
- Arturo Castro as Daniel Gomez
- Abdul-Ahad Patel as Vermin
The film adaptation of Three Seconds was announced at the Cannes Film Festival in 2017. Filming took place in Pinewood Studios (UK), Iver Heath (UK), Gloucester Prison (UK) and Brooklyn, New York (US) in 2017. 
In September 2017, Aviron Pictures acquired U.S. distribution rights to the film, while Warner Bros. handled British distribution rights to the film. It was released on July 31, 2020, in the United States. It was originally scheduled to be released on August 17, 2018, which was delayed until February 1, 2019, and then to March 22, 2019. It was then further delayed multiple times due to financial problems involving Aviron. The film’s first delay due to financial issues was until August 16, 2019, before being delayed again, to January 10, 2020, and then to March 13, 2020.
On Rotten Tomatoes, the film has an approval rating of 56% based on 36 reviews, with an average rating of 5.7/10. The site's critics consensus reads: "The Informer may prove a passable diversion for less demanding thriller fans, but most of its ingredients have been recycled from superior entries in the genre." On Metacritic the film has a weighted average score of 61 out of 100, based on reviews from 6 critics, indicating "generally favorable reviews".
Peter Bradshaw of The Guardian gives the film 3 out of 5 stars, and wrote: "It might have made better sense as an episodic drama on television but it is brash and watchable, its world reeking with cynicism and fear." Tim Robey of The Telegraph gave the film 4 out of 5 stars, and wrote: "The Informer is one of the year's more pleasant genre surprises: a clenched fist of a crime thriller in the mode of The Departed or The Town, in which every element is just a notch smarter than you'd expect." Guy Lodge of Variety called it "a surprisingly well-oiled genre machine" and says it is a film "that knows its limits, and works tidily within them".
- "The Informer (2019)". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved 22 January 2020.
- Lodge, Guy (31 December 2019). "'The Informer': Film Review". Variety. Retrieved 27 June 2020.
- "Cannes: Clive Owen, Rosamund Pike, Joel Kinnaman and Common Join 'Three Seconds'". The Hollywood Reporter. 17 May 2017. Retrieved 2 August 2018.
- Lodderhose, Diana. "Joel Kinnaman, Rosamund Pike, Common & Clive Owen Head To 'Three Seconds'". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved 13 November 2017.
- "The Informer (2019) - Filming & Production".
- "Trailer for Hollywood blockbuster shot in Gloucester Prison released".
- "TIFF: Rosamund Pike Thriller 'Three Seconds' Goes to Aviron in North America". The Hollywood Reporter. 5 September 2017.
- McNary, Dave (5 September 2017). "Rosamund Pike, Joel Kinnaman, Clive Owen Thriller 'Three Seconds' Gets U.S. Distribution". Variety. Retrieved 13 November 2017.
- "The Informer". Aviron Pictures. Retrieved 23 July 2019.
- "The Informer (2020)". Rotten Tomatoes. Fandango Media. Retrieved 31 August 2020.
- "The Informer Reviews". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved 27 June 2020.
- Bradshaw, Peter (28 August 2019). "The Informer review – gripping tale of brawn and bloodshed behind bars". The Guardian.
- Robey, Tim (29 August 2019). "The Informer review: Joel Kinnaman stars in a sharp, cunning crime thriller". The Telegraph.(registration required)