Ana de Armas
This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (March 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Ana de Armas
Armas at the 2017 San Diego Comic-Con
Ana Celia de Armas Caso
30 April 1988
(m. 2011; div. 2013)
Ana Celia de Armas Caso (born 30 April 1988) is a Cuban actress. She made her acting debut in 2006 in the Spanish film Una rosa de Francia. She also starred in the popular Spanish television show El Internado. In 2015 she starred in her first American film Knock Knock followed by Exposed, Hands of Stone, War Dogs and Blade Runner 2049.
Ana de Armas was born in Santa Cruz del Norte and raised in Havana, Cuba. She has one brother. Armas is of maternal Spanish descent; through her grandparents she was able to claim Spanish citizenship. At age 12, she decided to become an actress, and attended the National Theater School of Cuba.
De Armas made her acting debut in 2006, portraying the role of Marie on Una rosa de Francia, starring with Alex Gonzalez. At the age of 18, she moved to Spain. Her first major television success there was the Spanish TV series El Internado, in which she starred as Carolina Leal, airing on Antena 3 in 2007. She continued her career in the film Mentiras y gordas (2009), the TV series Hispania, la leyenda (2010–2012), and Blind Alley (2011).
Move to Hollywood
In 2014 de Armas moved to Los Angeles. She appeared in the film Por un puñado de besos. In 2015, she starred in Knock Knock, alongside Keanu Reeves, whom she also co-starred with in the 2016 film Exposed. She credits Hands of Stone director Jonathan Jakubowicz as having "discovered her" since he gave her the first international role in his Robert De Niro boxing epic which premiered in Cannes 2016. Staying busy through 2016, in addition to Hands of Stone she had a prominent role in Todd Phillips' War Dogs, playing the moral wife of Miles Teller's character who sells weapons to the American government.
In 2017 she appeared in Overdrive, a French action-thriller film, in which she played Scott Eastwood's girlfriend who becomes involved in his plot to steal cars from a ruthless tycoon. While the film received scathing reviews, De Armas' performance received praise from critics.
The same year she appeared in Blade Runner 2049 by Denis Villeneuve, playing opposite Ryan Gosling in the role of Joi, a holographic computer program which is the main character's girlfriend. Her performance in the film received high praise and has been characterized as a breakout role.
|2006||Una rosa de Francia||Marie|
|2009||Sex, Party and Lies||Carola||aka Mentiras y gordas|
|2009||Y de postre, qué||Girl||Short film|
|2011||Blind Alley||Rosa/Laura||aka El callejón|
|2012||Perrito chino||Sabina||Short film|
|2014||Por un puñado de besos||Sol|
|2016||Exposed||Isabel de la Cruz|
|2016||Hands of Stone||Felicidad Durán|
|2017||Blade Runner 2049||Joi||Nominated – Saturn Award for Best Supporting Actress|
|2019||The Informer||Sofia Hoffman|
|2019||Untitled Danny Boyle/Richard Curtis film||Roxanne||Post-production|
|TBA||The Night Clerk||Post-production|
|2007||El edén perdido||Gloria||Television film|
|2007–2010||El Internado||Carolina Leal Solís||TV series (56 episodes)|
|2010–2013||Hispania, la leyenda||Nerea||TV series (17 episodes)|
|2011||Actrices||Herself||TV miniseries (2 episodes)|
- A Cuban Women Out To Conquer Hollywood On Cuba magazine
- "When my brother finds a photo of me, he took back in 2015". Instagram. Retrieved 18 January 2018.
- Ana de Armas, la novia virtual del nuevo 'Blade Runner' - Interview (Spanish) ‘Mis abuelos maternos eran españoles y yo tenía el pasaporte.’
- "Los ojos verdes de Hollywood no tenían trabajo en España". Ideal (in Spanish). 16 May 2016. Retrieved 5 September 2016.
- Kit, Borys (14 September 2015). "'Knock Knock' Actress Ana de Armas Joining Scott Eastwood in 'Overdrive' (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 5 June 2018.
- Erbland, Kate. "'Blade Runner 2049': Where You've Seen Standout Supporting Cast Before - IndieWire". Indiewire.com. Retrieved 2 December 2017.
- "Hollywood's Next Big Thing: 'Blade Runner 2049' Breakout Ana de Armas". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 2 December 2017.
- "Ana de Armas Is Complex and Incredible in 'Blade Runner 2049'". Esquire.com. 3 October 2017. Retrieved 2 December 2017.
- "El primer desnudo de Ana de Armas en Hollywood junto a Keanu Reeves". El Mundo (in Spanish). 4 November 2015. Retrieved 5 September 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ana de Armas.|