Kinnaman in 2014
|Born||Charles Joel Nordström
25 November 1979
|Residence||Los Angeles, California, United States|
|Nationality||Swedish and American|
|Alma mater||Malmö Theatre Academy|
Charles Joel Nordström Kinnaman (born 25 November 1979), known professionally as Joel Kinnaman, is a Swedish-American actor. He is best known for playing the lead role in the Swedish film Easy Money, a role that earned him a Guldbagge Award in the "Best Actor" category, and also for his role as Frank Wagner in the Johan Falk film series. He starred on AMC's The Killing as detective Stephen Holder and played Alex Murphy in the 2014 reboot of RoboCop. Kinnaman is set to portray DC superhero Rick Flag, in the film adaptation of the Suicide Squad, based on the DC Comics anti-hero team of the same name. The film will be released in August 2016.
Kinnaman was born and raised in Stockholm, Sweden. His mother, a therapist, is Swedish. His father, Steve Kinnaman (originally David Kinnaman), is an American who was drafted during the Vietnam War and deserted the military from his stationing in Bangkok. Joel has both Swedish and American citizenship due to his father's United States birth. Joel's father, whose family was from the American Midwest, is of English, Irish, Scottish, and German descent, while Joel's mother is Jewish (she is descended from Ukrainian Jewish immigrants to Sweden). He has five sisters, one of whom is actress Melinda Kinnaman (his half-sister). Through his childhood, Kinnaman learned two languages as he "[spoke] English with my dad and Swedish with my mom". Kinnaman spent a year in Texas as a high school exchange student.
Kinnaman started his acting career in 2002, taking part in a thriller called The Invisible and enrolling in the Swedish Academic School of Drama in Malmö, where actors such as Michael Nyqvist have studied. He graduated in 2007, and afterwards attracted the attention of Swedish media in a stage adaptation of Crime and Punishment. Kinnaman then went on to star in nine Swedish movies in 14 months. He made his breakthrough in the 2009 film I skuggan av värmen and his success continued with a role in six films of the Johan Falk film series. He was then cast in the film Easy Money (released January 2010), which brought him attention in Sweden and the rest of the world. Looking to expand his acting career, Kinnaman hired an agent in the United States, the same agent that represents Johnny Depp. It was announced in the spring of 2010 that he would be making his international film debut in the thriller The Darkest Hour, which began filming in Moscow in June 2010 and was released in December 2011. Beginning in April 2011, Kinnaman had a starring role as Detective Stephen Holder in the AMC television series The Killing.
Kinnaman was one of the contenders for the lead roles in Thor (2011) and Mad Max: Fury Road (2015). He told the newspaper Östran that he "was really close to getting the lead role in Mad Max 4. It was between me and two others, and the one who got the role was Tom Hardy, who played the lead role in Bronson. [...] [The director] was very pleased [with my performance] – but they needed someone who seemed older." Regarding Thor, he has stated that "they wanted someone with a Scandinavian touch. There were only five candidates left in the end, but unfortunately I couldn't fly over [to the United States] and do test shoots with Natalie Portman, because it would interfere with the filming of Easy Money". Although Kinnaman admits that he is eager to work and become recognized in America, he says that "I absolutely don't feel that I have to take any role that I can get just because it is the United States. I'm looking for something interesting, I'm still young in my artistry, and I must dare to do things even when there's a risk for failure".
Kinnaman reunited with Easy Money director Daniel Espinosa in his Hollywood debut, 2012's Safe House. On 3 March 2012, it was confirmed that Kinnaman would play the lead role of Alex James Murphy/Robocop in the 2014 remake of 1987's RoboCop. The film was released in February 2014. Kinnaman is set to play Rick Flag Jr. in the upcoming Warner Bros. and DC Comics adaptation of Suicide Squad, directed by David Ayer.
|2003||Hannah med H||Andreas|
|2007||Arn – The Knight Templar||Sverker Karlsson|
|2008||Arn – The Kingdom at Road's End||Sverker Karlsson|
|2009||In Your Veins||Erik|
|2009||Johan Falk - Gruppen för särskilda insatser||Frank Wagner||Nominated – Guldbagge Award for the Best Supporting Actor|
|2009||Johan Falk - Vapenbröder||Frank Wagner|
|2009||Johan Falk - National Target||Frank Wagner|
|2009||Johan Falk - Leo Gaut||Frank Wagner|
|2009||Johan Falk - Operation Näktergal||Frank Wagner|
|2009||Johan Falk - De fredlösa||Frank Wagner|
|2009||Simon & Malou||Stefan|
|2010||Easy Money||Johan "JW" Westlund||Guldbagge Award for the Best Actor|
|2011||The Darkest Hour||Skyler|
|2011||The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo||Christer Malm|
|2012||Easy Money II: Hard to Kill||Johan "JW" Westlund|
|2012||Johan Falk – Spelets regler||Frank Wagner|
|2012||Johan Falk – De 107 patrioterna||Frank Wagner|
|2012||Johan Falk – Alla råns moder||Frank Wagner|
|2012||Johan Falk – Organizatsija Karayan||Frank Wagner|
|2012||Johan Falk – Barninfiltratören||Frank Wagner|
|2013||Johan Falk – Kodnamn Lisa||Frank Wagner|
|2013||Easy Money III: Life Deluxe||Johan "JW" Westlund|
|2014||RoboCop||Alex Murphy / RoboCop|
|2015||Run All Night||Mike Conlon|
|2015||Knight of Cups|
|2015||Child 44||Wasilij Nikitin|
|2016||Suicide Squad||Rick Flag||Post-production|
|1990||Storstad||Felix Lundström||Swedish TV series; credited as Joel Nordström|
|2008||Andra Avenyn||Gustav||Swedish TV series|
|2011–2014||The Killing||Stephen Holder||U.S. TV series
Nominated – Saturn Award for Best Supporting Actor in Television
- "Joel Kinnaman" (in Swedish). The Swedish Film Database (Swedish Film Institute). Retrieved 2014-04-30.
- Rehlin, Gunnar (7 April 2010). "Joel Kinnaman klar för Hollywoodfilm". Helsingborgs Dagblad. Retrieved 18 July 2010.
- Hägred, Per (19 January 2010). "Joel Kinnaman: 'Min revisor är i chocktillstånd'". Expressen. Retrieved 18 July 2010.
- Rochlinfer, Margy (7 February 2014). "Emotions Churning Under Armor: Joel Kinnaman Jumps From 'The Killing' to 'RoboCop'". The New York Times. Retrieved 2014-04-30.
- Jackson, Helen (6 February 2014). "‘Robocop’ Joel Kinnaman’s Mom Tried to Send Him to Therapy for Walking Like a Robot". Variety.
- Yglesias, Matthew. "Joel Kinnaman from The Killing: An Interview - Slate Magazine". Slate.com. Retrieved 2012-07-02.
- Tweet Lina Wennersten 08-13 59 36 email@example.com. "Kroppslig kamp | Kultur | SvD" (in Swedish). Svd.se. Retrieved 2012-07-02.
- Eichel, Larry (9 December 1990). "Home Swede Home: Why Some Vietnam Dodgers Haven't Returned". The Seattle Times.
David Kinnaman, as Steve was known for the first half of his life....
- Ventre, Michael (16 June 2011). "'Killing' actors all hiding secrets". Variety.
- Barker, Emma (2012-04-02). "Making a ‘Killing’". The Daily. Retrieved 2012-07-02.
- "Joel Kinnaman regerar i "Arn" - Film" (in Swedish). www.arbetarbladet.se. Retrieved 2012-07-02.
- Andersson, Jan-Olov (22 August 2009). "– Jag fick sparka ihjäl Skarsgård". Aftonbladet. Retrieved 18 July 2010.
- Emotions Churning Under Armor, The New York Times
- Albiniak, Paige. "In for the kill". New York Post.
- Helmerson, Erik (11 January 2010). "Joel Kinnaman nära roll i 'Mad Max 4'". Östran. Retrieved 18 July 2010.
- "Zac Efron to play drug smuggler in thriller". Reuters. 15 April 2010. Retrieved 18 July 2010.
- Holmqvist, Emilia (22 March 2010). "Kinnaman ska få oss att springa". Aftonbladet. Retrieved 18 July 2010.
- Hibberd, James (14 April 2010). "AMC adds four actors to 'Killing' pilot". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 18 July 2010.
- Vejvoda, Jim (16 March 2009). "Natalie Portman Joining Thor?". IGN. Retrieved 18 July 2010.
- Lee, Esther (April 29, 2014). "Olivia Munn, Joel Kinnaman Split After Two Year Relationship". Us Weekly. Wenner Media LLC. Retrieved February 4, 2015.
- "Olivia Munn's ex Joel Kinnaman moves on with tattoo artist Cleo Wattenstrom... and the couple 'are already living together'". DailyMail. 16 December 2014. Retrieved 30 June 2015.
- "Här myser Kinnaman med svenska Cleo, 22". Aftonbladet. 9 August 2014. Retrieved 30 June 2015.
- "De kan vinna en Guldbagge". Dagens Nyheter. 8 January 2010. Retrieved 18 July 2010.
- Goldberg, Matt (29 February 2012). "Saturn Award Nominations Announced; HUGO and HARRY POTTER Lead with 10 Nominations Each". Collider. Retrieved 22 March 2014.