January 20, 1978 |
|Occupation||Film and theatre director|
|Awards||SSDC Joseph A. Callaway Award (for In the Heights)|
Thomas Kail (born in Alexandria, Virginia) is an American film and theatre director, known for directing the Off-Broadway and Broadway productions of Lin-Manuel Miranda's musicals In the Heights and Hamilton, for which he received the Drama Desk Award for Best Director of a Musical.
Kail grew up in Alexandria, Virginia and graduated from Sidwell Friends School in 1995 and subsequently from Wesleyan University in 1999. He remains good friends with Lin-Manuel Miranda, whom he met at Wesleyan and with whom he co-created the freestyle hip-hop dance group "Freestyle Love Supreme".
Kail directed the 24 Hour Plays benefit performances in 2007 and 2008, where "6 short plays are written, rehearsed, directed, and performed in 24 hours." In 2007, he directed Julia Jordan's A Bus Stop Play, and Beau Willimon's Zusammenbruch in 2008. Both shows played at the American Airlines Theatre on Broadway.
Kail directed the hit Broadway musical In the Heights, which garnered him a Tony Award nomination for Best Direction of a Musical. The musical premiered on Broadway, starting in previews on February 14, 2008, with an official opening on March 9, 2008 at the Richard Rodgers Theatre.
Kail directed Broke-ology, which played from October 5, 2009 to November 22, 2009, at the Lincoln Center Theater Off-Broadway. This play garnered Kail an AUDELCO Award nomination for Best Director of a Dramatic Production. Kail also staged the world premiere at the Williamstown Theatre Festival.
Kail also directed Eric Simonson's play Lombardi, based on Green Bay Packers coach Vince Lombardi through a week in the 1965 season, as he attempts to lead his team to the championship. Lombardi officially premiered on Broadway at the Circle in the Square Theatre on October 21, 2010.
Kail reunited with Lombardi playwright Eric Simonson on Magic/Bird, a new play chronicling the intertwined life stories of basketball Hall of Famers Larry Bird and Earvin "Magic" Johnson. The play premiered on Broadway at the Longacre Theatre on March 21, 2012 in previews, officially on April 11, 2012 and closed on May 12, 2012. Kail directed, with the cast that featured Kevin Daniels as "Magic" Johnson and Tug Coker as Larry Bird.
|2006||Critical Hours||Director, Writer, Executive Producer||Television pilot|
|2008||Roadtrip Nation||Himself||TV episode|
|In the Heights: Chasing Broadway Dreams||Himself||Episode of PBS' Great Performances|
|The Electric Company||Musical Director||TV series|
|2010||The Oprah Winfrey Oscar Special||Director||Talk show episode|
|2016||Grease: Live||Director||Live TV special|
Awards and nominations
|2007||Outer Critics Circle Award||Outstanding Director of a Musical||In the Heights||Nominated|
|Drama Desk Award||Outstanding Director of a Musical||Nominated|
|SDC Joseph A. Callaway Award||Best Director||Won|
|2008||Tony Award||Best Director of a Musical||Nominated|
|2010||AUDELCO Award||Best Director of a Dramatic Production||Broke-ology||Nominated|
|2011||NAACP Award||Best Director of a Musical||In the Heights||Won|
|2011||AUDELCO Award||Best Director of a Dramatic Production||When I Come To Die||Nominated|
- Bacalzo, Daniel. "In the Heights Director Thomas Kail Receives Martin E. Segal Award". Theatre Mania. 2010-05-10.
- "Thomas Kail". Lincoln Center Theater. July 31, 2009.
- American Theatre Wing. "Biographies - Thomas Kail, Director" June 2009.
- "Playbill's Who's Who Biographies"
- Hetrick, Adam. "In the Heights' Lin-Manuel Miranda Sets Freestyle Love Supreme Date at Irving Plaza". Playbill. January 5, 2011.
- "Thomas Kail" broadway.com
- The Broadway League. 24 Hour Plays (2007) | IBDB: The Official Source for Broadway Information. Internet Broadway Database
- The Broadway League. 24 Hour Plays (2008) | IBDB: The Official Source for Broadway Information. Internet Broadway Database
- Kennedy, Mark. "Thomas Kail Enjoying His 'Year of Transition'". ABC News. 2010-12-10.
- Kenneth Jones. "In the Heights Will Play Broadway's Richard Rodgers Starting February 2008". Playbill.
- Brokeology. Lortel Archives/Internet Off-Broadway Database.
- Hetrick, Adam. Tony Nominee Kail and Jackson Will Collaborate for Upcoming LCT3 Season. Playbill.
- "Thomas Kail to Direct 'The Wiz' for New York City Center" TheaterMania. February 24, 2009.
- NY City Center's The Wiz listing
- Gans, Andrew. "'The Wiz' Ends Limited City Center Engagement July 5", playbill.com, July 5, 2009
- "N.F.L. Gets Behind 'Lombardi'". nytimes.com. 2010-08-20. Retrieved 2010-09-16.
- Gans, Andrew and Jones, Kenneth. "Heights Director Kail to Direct Football-Themed Lombardi at Broadway's Circle in the Square" playbill.com, April 14, 2010
- Murray, Larry (2010-05-18). "Lombardi". Berkshire On Stage. Retrieved 2010-12-11.
- "Lombardi, IBDB: The Official Source for Broadway Information". The Broadway League. Retrieved 2010-12-11.
- When I Come To Die. Lortel Archives/Internet Off-Broadway Database.
- Itzkoff, David (June 14, 2011). "Rhyme Schemes: See the Creation of the Tony Awards’ Closing Rap". The New York Times. Retrieved June 15, 2011.
- "'Magic/Bird' Broadway" playbillvault.com, accessed September 26, 2015
- "Thomas Kail Broadway" playbillvault.com, accessed September 25, 2015
- "Grease:Live, About the Show" fox.com. Accessed February 2, 2016
- Thomas Kail at the Internet Broadway Database
- Thomas Kail at the Internet Off-Broadway Database
- Thomas Kail at the Internet Movie Database