Tidy Towns (Ireland)
Tidy Towns (Irish: Bailte Slachtmhara) is an annual competition, first held in 1958, organised by the Department of Rural and Community Development in order to honour the tidiest and most attractive cities, towns and villages in the Republic of Ireland. The competition is organised on a national basis, and entrants must complete modules including Overall Developmental Approach (5 Year Plan), The Built Environment, Landscaping, Wildlife & Natural Amenities, Litter Control, Tidiness, Waste Minimisation, Residential Areas, Roads and Streets & Back Areas.
The Competition is judged during the summer months (May to August) by an independent adjudicator, who issues each town with a written report complimenting positive development and actions and providing positive suggestions on how the community can improve their general surroundings.
This competition covers many aspects of environment and prizes are awarded to winners of all areas. Other than that, there's an overall winner which is named as "Ireland's Tidiest Town" which is announced at the end of competition every September.
- "Ireland's Tidiest Town Winner".
- "Minister Ring confirms cancellation of 2020 TidyTowns". gov.ie. Department of Rural and Community Development. 21 April 2020. Retrieved 21 April 2020.
- "Winner's list". Archived from the original on 6 February 2011.
- Hogan, Treacy (10 September 2012). "Co Longford's Abbeyshrule claims Tidy Town award for 2012". Irish Independent. Retrieved 15 September 2012.
- "Town tidiest thanks to 6am sweeps". Irish Independent. 9 September 2013.
- "2016 Tidy Town Winners".
- "Revealed: These are Ireland's tidiest towns for 2017". Irish Independent. 25 September 2017. Retrieved 26 September 2017.
- "Listowel wins Tidy Towns top award for 2018". Irish Examiner. 24 September 2018. Retrieved 26 November 2019.
- "Glaslough is the Ireland's Tidiest town for 2019". Retrieved 26 November 2019..
- Lehane, Mícheál (21 April 2020). "Tidy Towns will not take place this summer". RTÉ News and Current Affairs. Retrieved 21 April 2020.
- Kane, Conor (12 November 2021). "Ennis in Co Clare named Ireland's tidiest town". RTÉ News and Current Affairs. Retrieved 12 November 2021.