A train wreck, train collision, train accident or train crash is a type of disaster involving one or more trains. Train wrecks often occur as a result of miscommunication, as when a moving train meets another train on the same track; or an accident, such as when a train wheel jumps off a track in a derailment; or when a boiler explosion occurs. Train wrecks have often been widely covered in popular media and in folklore.
Train accidents can occur due to a range of factors, including one or more of the following:
- Human error – One of the leading causes of train accidents is human error. This can involve train operators failing to adhere to safety protocols, distraction, fatigue, impaired judgment, or inadequate training.
- Mechanical failures – Equipment malfunctions or failures, such as faulty brakes, defective signaling systems, or problems with locomotives or railcars, can contribute to train accidents.
- Track and infrastructure issues – Poorly maintained tracks, inadequate inspection procedures, or infrastructure deficiencies like weakened bridges or faulty switches can lead to accidents.
- Weather conditions – Severe weather conditions, including heavy rain, snowstorms, or extreme heat, can impact track conditions, visibility, and the overall safety of train operations.
- Sabotage - People who break, place something, or destroy tracks, this is called rail sabotage.
- Attack - Anyone such as terrorists or shooters disrupted rail traffic such as bombing or shooting on a train.
Train wreck gallery
Train wreck in Rainy River District, Ontario, in the 1900s.
- Lists of rail accidents
- Classification of railway accidents
- The crash at Crush, Texas, an intentional train wreck conducted as a publicity stunt
- Railway accident deaths
- "Definition of CORNFIELD MEET". www.merriam-webster.com. Retrieved 2021-07-19.
- "There are about 3 U.S. train derailments per day. They aren't usually major disasters". www.npr.org. March 9, 2023. Retrieved June 7, 2023.
- Shiner, Attorney David (2021-03-02). "Top 10 Causes of Train Accidents". Shiner Law Group Personal Injury Lawyers & Accident Attorneys. Retrieved 2023-06-07.
- "Are the railroads being sabotaged causing derailments?".
- "Train Wrecks and Track Attacks: An Analysis of Attempts by Terrorists and Other Extremists to Derail Trains or Disrupt Rail Transportation".
- Aldrich, Mark. Death Rode the Rails: American Railroad Accidents and Safety, 1828–1965 (2006) excerpt
- Vaughan, Adrian. Obstruction Danger: Significant British Railway Accidents, 1890–1986 (Motorbooks International, 1989). online
- BBC News: World's worst rail disasters
- A signalman (1874). . London: Longmans, Green, & Co.