This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Motto(s): Jwalita Praja Karana|
|• Total||1,261.40 km2 (487.03 sq mi)|
|Elevation||110 m (360 ft)|
|Highest elevation||2,563 m (8,409 ft)|
|Lowest elevation||0 m (0 ft)|
|• Density||530/km2 (1,400/sq mi)|
|Time zone||GMT +7|
This regency has an area of 1,261.40 km2 an has a population of 674,521 residents as of 2010. It is located on the southern shore of East Java and is surrounded by three regencies: Ponorogo to the northwest; Pacitan to the southwest; and Tulungagung to the east.
Trenggalek is a regency that is located on the southern shore of Java island and has the following geographical boundaries:
- To the northwest: Ponorogo;
- To the southwest: Pacitan;
- To the east: Tulungagung;
- To the south: Indian Ocean, and
- To the north: Mount Wilis.
- Farming: rice, corns, cassava, soya beans, legumes.
- Plantation: sugar cane, cloves, durians, salak, mangosteens, rambutans.
- Industry: soy sauce, syrup, tapioca, anchovies, batik, snacks, cigarettes, sawmill, building materials, roofs, tofu, etc.
Tourism and cultural sights
Trenggalek has countless of beautiful tourism objects, even some of them are still virgin. They consists of beaches (pantai), which is the most popular one, caves, and awe-inspiring mountain ranges.
- Gua Lowo is a well-known cave with beautiful walls decorated with amazing stalactites and stalagmites which looked so artistic with its naturally generated ambient light. Based on a cave expert person, Mr. Gilbert Manthovani and Dr. Robert K. Kho in 1984, it was declared that Guo Lowo is the biggest natural cave in Southeast Asia with approximately 800 meters of length, nine main rooms and some small rooms. It's the most famous tourist attraction in Trenggalek. Guo Lowo literally means "bat cave", owing to the countless bats living here when it was first discovered.
- Pantai Prigi. The most famous beach in Trenggalek and it is really breathtaking. It constitutes the most beautiful natural tourism object in Trenggalek regency and is known for its magnificent rock formations. Many people visit it every day and there is also a fish market and a harbour, where people can buy some delicious food and snacks to be eaten just right there or brought as souvenirs back home.
- Pantai Pasir Putih. Literally means "White sand beach", it is famous for its clear white sand and it is located adjacent to the Prigi beach.
- Pantai Pelang. This beach has a magnificent beauty and there is also a waterfall and some beautiful tiny islands.
- Larung Sembonyo. This traditional ceremony is held annually and always captivate local and international tourists.
- Pemandian Tapan. This bathing place is located in Karangan and the natural water source comes directly from the mountain ranges so it is really refreshing.
- Upacara Dam Bagong. Bull's head is swept away in Kali Bagong (Bagong river) in this annually-held ceremony.
- Candi Brongkah. It is a historical temple which tells the history of Trenggalek.
- Alun-alun Kota. It is central park in the middle of the city and is visited by many residents, especially on the weekends. It also has a playground and some snacks vendors nearby.
- Tri Turonggo Yakso. It is a typical traditional dance of Trenggalek. The dance belong to the traditional dance called "jaranan" which is also founding another regions. But Turonggo Yakso has a special made of buffalo leather. Turonggo Yakso symbolizes the victory of villages in driving away the devil. In addition to the unique imitation horse, the moment of the dance and "gending" (musical composition for gamelan) are also dynamic and energic.
Skyline of Trenggalek Kota
- Elected Regent and Vice Regent of Trenggalek for 2010-2015 period Archived 2010-12-13 at the Wayback Machine.. Indonesian General Election Commission (KPU) (Indonesian)
- General Situation of Trenggalek. Trenggalek Tourism Board
- The result of 2010 census - Biro Pusat Statistik Indonesia (Indonesian) Archived November 13, 2010, at the Wayback Machine.
- Overview of Trenggalek tourism potentials. Trenggalek Tourism: Cool, calm, and beautiful place.
- Gallery of Trenggalek tourism objects. Trenggalek Tourism: Cool, calm, and beautiful place. Archived February 2, 2009, at the Wayback Machine.
- Guo Lowo. Trenggalek Tourism: Cool, calm, and beautiful place. Archived November 3, 2010, at the Wayback Machine.
- Prigi beach. Trenggalek Tourism: Cool, calm, and beautiful place.