Waste management in Armenia
Armenia is underdeveloped in its waste management and recycling activities. According to Waste Atlas Armenia produces 368,618 tonnes of MSW per year or 119.8 kg/cap/year. In the recent years there were several attempts to address this problem initiated by public activists, including "Toprak Petq Chi" (Eng - I don't need a plastic bag) initiative targeting single-use plastic bags in Armenia. Conversely the municipal government of Yerevan - the capital of Armenia takes attempts to solve the problem for the city with long term development plan, which includes there main phases:
- In winter 2014 an international tender was announced for garbage collection, which won a Lebanese waste management company called Sanitek. The later opened its branch in Yerevan for its operations.
- In summer 2016 The Armenian parliament has ratified a loan agreement signed with European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD), which is providing a €8 million loan to Armenia to finance the construction of a solid waste landfill in Yerevan that will comply with EU regulations.
- According to municipal government of Yerevan, the third step is aimed at introducing sorting out and recycling practices with according projects that meets EU standards and regulations.
60 landfills exist in Armenia. No waste sorting, recycling, nor reuse takes place at any of them. Instead, garbage is dumped into a working area and then flattened using a bulldozer to create a layer of garbage 300 centimeters thick.
The Nubarashen landfill (Yerevan. It receives almost all of the solid waste produced in the city of Yerevan and its suburbs, which is about 340 tons per day, or 102,000 tons per year. The site has accumulated over 7.5 million tons of domestic waste over 50 years.) is Armenia's largest waste disposal site and is located near
- www.atlas.d-waste.com Waste Atlas (2012). Country Data: ARMENIA
- "the project". TOPRAK PETQ CHI. Retrieved 2016-09-16.
- "Capital Clean-Up: Foreign garbage-removal operator starts work in Yerevan - News | ArmeniaNow.com". www.armenianow.com. Retrieved 2016-09-16.
- "The works of International garbage disposal operator have been started". Retrieved 2016-09-16.
- "The issues related to the construction of the new landfill site have been discussed with the consulting company". Retrieved 2016-09-16.
- In Armenia Waste is Not Yet Profitable, Hetq Online, June 25, 2007.
- With a Visit to Armenia's Largest Dump, UNDP and the Ministry of Nature Protection Launch Environment Week, UNDP, July 6, 2004.