Watson Chapel High School
|Watson Chapel High School|
|4000 Camden Road
Pine Bluff, Arkansas 71603
|Motto||Preparing today's students for tomorrow's opportunities|
|School board||Watson Chapel School District|
|NCES District ID||0513930|
|NCES School ID||051393001140|
|Area||Watson Chapel or Pine Bluff, Arkansas|
|Nickname||Wildcats, Black and Gold, Big Black|
|Team name||Watson Chapel Wildcats|
|Affiliation||Arkansas Activities Association|
Watson Chapel High School is a comprehensive public high school in the Watson Chapel School District in Pine Bluff, Arkansas that serves grades 10 through 12. It is one of three public high schools in Pine Bluff and the only high school managed by the Watson Chapel School District. It serves as the main feeder school for Watson Chapel Junior High School.
The assumed course of study is the Smart Core curriculum developed by the Arkansas Department of Education. Students may engage in regular (core and career focus) and may select Advanced Placement (AP) coursework and exams that provide an opportunity for college credit prior to graduation.
Awards and recognition
The Watson Chapel Quiz Bowl academic competition teams have won the 2011 and 2012 National Academic Quiz Tournaments (NAQT) Arkansas State Championship tournaments that allowed the teams to compete at the national level.
The Watson Chapel High School mascot is the wildcat with school colors of black and gold.
For 2012–14, the Watson Chapel Wildcats participate in the 5A South Conference for interscholastic activities administered by the Arkansas Activities Association (AAA) including baseball, basketball (boys/girls), cheer, dance, cross country, football, golf (boys/girls), softball, and track and field.
The Wildcats baseball team has made 28 appearances to the state tournament, with 39 tournament wins, 13 semifinals, and seven finals; winning four titles between 1988 and 2000. The boys' basketball team has won three state championships as well.
In 2013, Watson Chapel won the state's Student Angler Federation (SAF) High School Fishing State Championship.
- Kyle Coleman, American football fullback and linebacker for the Seattle Seahawks
- Dante Wesley, an American football cornerback for the Carolina Panthers of the National Football League.
- "Search for Public School Districts – District Detail for Watson Chapel School District". National Center for Education Statistics. Institute of Education Sciences. Retrieved 4 September 2012.
- "Search for Public Schools - School Detail for Watson Chapel High School". National Center for Education Statistics. Institute of Education Sciences. Retrieved 4 September 2012.
- "School Profile, Watson Chapel High School". AdvancED. Retrieved 4 September 2012.
- "2011 NAQT Arkansas State Championship Team Standings". National Academic Quiz Tournaments. Retrieved 26 January 2013.
- "School Profile, Watson Chapel High School". Arkansas Activities Association. Retrieved 4 September 2012.
- "2012-13 Record Book" (PDF). Arkansas Activities Association. Retrieved 4 September 2012.
- "Watson Chapel Uses Familiar Water to Win Arkansas State Championship". Student Angler Federation. Retrieved 31 May 2013.