Wikipedia:Meetup/Irvine/Gender equity 2019
Wikipedia + the 17.82%
UC Irvine's edit-a-thon focused on gender equity
|When, Where, Who|
|Date||Friday, May 17, 2019|
10:00 am – 4:00 pm PDT (UTC-7)
|Location||Langson Library, Room 228|
University of California, Irvine
|Hosts||Moderator: Prof. Adriana Briscoe
Facilitators: Roger Bamkin &|
|9:30am to 10:00am||Arrivals & background video|
|10:00am||Welcome & introductions|
|10:15am||Wikipedia training & Q&A|
|12:30pm to close||Editing & small group discussions|
|Some Wikimedia projects|
|Help after the event|
Wikipedia's Women in Red co-founders are joining forces with a variety of UCI organisations to host a wiki event to talk about and improve gender equity and diversity on Wikipedia. Wikipedia is an openly-editable resource, meaning that you can improve the quality and accuracy of Wikipedia entries. As one of the web’s most visited reference sites, Wikipedia serves as a starting point for many individuals looking about you name it! During this training, attendees of all experience levels will learn the basics of how to edit Wikipedia by updating articles related to American women in STEAM fields, humanities, as well as areas of diversity.
The main goals of the event are:
- to have fun and learn something
- to encourage inexperienced editors and show them how they can contribute to Wikipedia by creating biographies
- to draw the attention of more experienced editors to the need for concerted action on a specific area
- to support Wikipedia in combating the systemic bias against the coverage of women, women's works, and women's issues
- to promote the new/improved articles and images through social media (Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, and Twitter).
- Let us know you are coming
- Register to attend here.
- Create a Wikipedia account here.
- Remote/virtual participants, sign in here.
- Any research resources you would like to refer to.
- You're welcome to bring your camera and take pictures.
- At the event
- No Wikipedia editing experience is necessary, as training will be provided.
- No background in STEAM, humanities, diversity, or women's history is required, as we will have resources on hand to cite.
- UCI welcomes visitors of all abilities. Request for accessibility services can be made by contacting Adriana Briscoe via email (email@example.com).
- Public WiFi, lunch, snacks, and beverages will be provided.
- Photos will be taken during the event; please notify us at check-in if you do not wish to be photographed.
- If you can't attend the event in person, you can participate virtually. Edit along with us on the day of the event and help us improve articles from our worklists.
Articles and images
- Lists of notable women who don't have an article on Wikipedia
Key: Wikidata list (WD); crowd-sourced list (CS)
- Scientists (CW) (WD)
- Technologists (WD)
- Women in technology (CS)
- Engineers (CS) (WD)
- Mathematics (CS) (WD)
- LGBTQ (CS) (WD)
- Marginalized populations CS
- Minority genders (CS)
- U.S. Afro-Americans (CS)
- U.S. Latinas (CS)
- Alumni or employees of U.C. Irvine (WD)
- Find articles which need improvement
- Category:Women in science and technology
- Category:Women engineers
- Category:Women mathematicians
- Category:LGBT people
- Category:American people of African descent
- Category:American people of indigenous peoples descent
- Category:American people of Latin American descent
- Elma González Tweeted
- Iqbal Mahmoud Al Assad Tweeted
- Cynthia Wolberger
- Rachel Hofstetter
- Kathleen Harris
- Laura Schulz
- Emily Rosenberg
- Helen Lundeberg
- Nancy Boyd-Franklin
- Ruth Streveler
- Mabel Withee
- Atsuko Nishida
- Francine McKenna
- Rebecca Heald
- Maria Servedio
- Amelia Boynton Robinson
- Margaret Leinen
- Michalina Stefanowska
- Kil Chung-hee
- Ellen Spenser Mussey
- A two-page review of Susan Hillmore's The Greenhouse from the September 1988 issue of Literary Review was delivered to a Wikipedian who has been waiting 11 weeks for any other Wikipedian to locate a copy, to improve the article on the novel and keep it from being merged into the article about the author.
- A one-page review of Norman Mailer's Ancient Evenings from a 1983 issue of The Advocate was scanned from microfilm and delivered to a Wikipedian improving the article on the novel.
- The abstract of a conference paper was delivered to a Wikipedian improving Lamont seamount chain.
- The table of contents and index of a book were delivered to a Wikipedian overhauling Arranged marriage in the Indian subcontinent and Weddings in India.
Upon arrival, please sign in
- This section is for use on the day of the event.
- Select 'Sign in'
- Scroll down on the page that follows and click 'Save changes'.
- Your username will automatically be added to the list of attendees at the bottom of this page.
- Roger Bamkin (Victuallers) (talk) 24 March 2019 (UTC)
- Adriana Briscoe (adbriscoe) (talk) 24 March 2019 (UTC)
- Rosiestep (talk) 16:55, 24 March 2019 (UTC)
- Penny Richards (talk) 01:21, 14 May 2019 (UTC)
- Worldbruce (talk) 23:49, 14 May 2019 (UTC)
- DougHill (talk) 02:16, 14 May 2019 (UTC)
- Oronsay (talk) 20:58, 15 May 2019 (UTC)
- Adanga5 (talk) 18:10, 17 May 2019 (UTC)
- Adbriscoe (talk) 18:12, 17 May 2019 (UTC)
- Dufourjennalibrarian (talk) 18:12, 17 May 2019 (UTC)
- Sanjanasen29 (talk) 18:12, 17 May 2019 (UTC)
- AnnabelAdams (talk) 18:12, 17 May 2019 (UTC)
- Ailifflaw (talk) 18:12, 17 May 2019 (UTC)
- FriederC (talk) 18:12, 17 May 2019 (UTC)
- Nik Times (talk) 18:12, 17 May 2019 (UTC)
- Secomm (talk) 18:12, 17 May 2019 (UTC)
- JPLarry (talk) 18:12, 17 May 2019 (UTC)
- Bekahd23 (talk) 18:12, 17 May 2019 (UTC)
- PhilosophyCopyEditor (talk) 18:13, 17 May 2019 (UTC)
- Madbrarian (talk) 18:13, 17 May 2019 (UTC)
- Nancy.aguilarroca (talk) 18:13, 17 May 2019 (UTC)
- Vgirl808 (talk) 18:13, 17 May 2019 (UTC)
- Rosiestep (talk) 18:14, 17 May 2019 (UTC)
- Lee Bardwell
- BrunoMLB1 (talk) 18:15, 17 May 2019 (UTC)
- BrunoMLB1 (talk) 18:15, 17 May 2019 (UTC)
- LeeBardwell (talk) 18:18, 17 May 2019 (UTC)
- Worldbruce (talk) 18:23, 17 May 2019 (UTC)
- PG13Reader (talk) 19:41, 17 May 2019 (UTC)
- Andrn10 (talk) 19:46, 17 May 2019 (UTC)
- Luxi Zhang (talk) 19:53, 17 May 2019 (UTC)
- Bnvo1 (talk) 20:29, 17 May 2019 (UTC)
- Natbuswell (talk) 20:40, 17 May 2019 (UTC)
- Gghanem8 (talk) 21:54, 17 May 2019 (UTC)
- Itsphuong (talk) 22:00, 17 May 2019 (UTC)